PDA

View Full Version : Calling in the rain

two-feet
10-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Calling moose in the rain, good or bad experiences?

Fred1
10-01-2014, 03:19 PM
You're kidding, right?!? If it aint raining, you aint moose hunting.....

junkyard_g
10-01-2014, 04:24 PM
^x2. Half the moose I've shot i've been wearing raingear.

Steelpulse
10-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Anytime is a good time to call, I find weather of any kind better for most hunting situations, always a good experience even if nothing happens, you always learn something on every hunt even if it's nothing to do with hunting, still hunting is also much better in the rain as the rain quiets down the ground

two-feet
10-01-2014, 05:21 PM
I was just thinking that i have never got one in the rain. Sunny, snowy, foggy yes. But never rain. Just seeing if it is coincidence and what you other fellers think. I do like rain for moving through the bush a bit quieter.
Heading out at 3am and the forecast is for precip, hopefully I will have a tale to tell when I get back.

takla1
10-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Thread brings back memories of 3 different bulls ive shot as the bulls left the mnt top in one of our spots and worked their way down the cutblock along the snow to rain line.Snowing up top and raining at the bottom ,great memorys

.300WSMImpact!
10-01-2014, 05:41 PM
some of my best hunting days are when its raining

two-feet
10-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Thread brings back memories of 3 different bulls ive shot as the bulls left the mnt top in one of our spots and worked their way down the cutblock along the snow to rain line.Snowing up top and raining at the bottom ,great memorys

Yup that sounds great. We are hunting about 100km north of smithers and at 2500-4500' so we will be right in the transition zone at times I think. The mountains all around town got a good old dusting last night, right down onto the ski runs.

boxhitch
10-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Hard rain and wind can put them down for a while , messes up there strong sense , but they have to move sometime.
Your call won't carry far , but then again it may not have to.

takla1
10-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Yup that sounds great. We are hunting about 100km north of smithers and at 2500-4500' so we will be right in the transition zone at times I think. The mountains all around town got a good old dusting last night, right down onto the ski runs.

that's close to the same area im talking about,north end of takla lake.prime time right now!

takla1
10-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Hard rain and wind can put them down for a while , messes up there strong sense , but they have to move sometime.
Your call won't carry far , but then again it may not have to.

As far as bull moose are concerned they move regardless of weather during rut.

Avalanche123
10-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Wind is a factor. Too windy and moose aren't happy campers. Tough to call above the wind and tough to hear....BUT I've been pleasantly surprised too on "bad weather days". :)

Fred1
10-01-2014, 07:38 PM
As far as bull moose are concerned they move regardless of weather during rut.

Bingo! They cant stop! Its not up for choice! ;) I have called in bulls in some of the worst weather. I have had guys ask if he should still shoot when its this bad!?LMAO! Thanks for thinkin of me but YES MAN SHOOT!!!!

Fred1
10-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Wind is a factor. Too windy and moose aren't happy campers. Tough to call above the wind and tough to hear....BUT I've been pleasantly surprised too on "bad weather days". :)

Ya the wind makes it hard....

tomahawk
10-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Does it effect your sex life if it's raining? Bulls have a limited time to enjoy the cows in heat and nothing including rain will change that. I arrowhead a bull I called in during a torrential rain fall that was so bad that my peep sight was full of water and I could,t see through it and there are many more, probably more then half the bulls coming to my calls that we're in the wet rains of PG fall weather,

Thatguy
10-03-2014, 04:21 PM
From my own experience I've found that moose seem to come in easier once they are committed if it is raining. With their sense of smell and hearing compromised by the weather, they seem to circle less to get your wind. Your hearing is compromised much more than theirs though so allow more time at a location before setting up to call another area. The bull might hear you for kilometers but you might not hear his grunting until he's a lot closer than it takes on a calm day. Off topic a little, but, I generally find the opposite to be true for elk. They seem to be a little more on edge without all their cards in play.