PDA

View Full Version : 20 degrees C

skuntor
10-01-2014, 10:03 AM
I'm heading to region 3 to a whitetail spot that sounds promising. Temperate should be about 20C in the day and 10C overnight. I'm a little worried that it won't be cool enough in the shade to get the temps down if we are successful. When it's 20 out do people find that the shaded areas are ok to hang meat for a couple days? Wondering if I should have a backup plan for the meat.

Sofa King
10-01-2014, 10:21 AM
I'd be heading home if I got my deer in 20 degree weather.
shoot all your deer at the same time so you can leave or just wait until the last couple hours of your weekend to shoot them.
eezy-peezy.8)

Twogunns
10-01-2014, 10:26 AM
I would take them off the bone and put them in a cooler. That meat is too precious to risk losing.

M.Dean
10-01-2014, 10:36 AM
The Blow Flies will love you for hanging there favorite meal in 20 degree temperatures!!! Depending on where your going in Region 3, I just happen to have a walk in cooler, the Blow Flies hate it!!! I keep it around 2 to 4 degrees, I charge 10 bucks a day for Deer, and 15 a day to hang a Moose. BUT, beings your a great guy, much like myself, we can discuss the rates, and your a Member in Good Standing on this site also, we'll also use that to keep the bill down! If possible, give me a call when you get a Deer and I'll turn the room on, my home number is 250-573-4271. Good Luck!

Sofa King
10-01-2014, 11:40 AM
I would take them off the bone and put them in a cooler. That meat is too precious to risk losing.

how would that be legal though?

Philcott
10-01-2014, 01:47 PM
how would that be legal though?

Keep the nuts naturally attached to one quarter and keep the antlers and I would say your good to go. That's what I'd do anyway.

Sofa King
10-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Keep the nuts naturally attached to one quarter and keep the antlers and I would say your good to go. That's what I'd do anyway.

but if he totally debones the meat and puts it in a cooler, like suggested, pretty hard to do that.
and just having the loose antlers isn't adequate from what I've understood.
thought they had to be attached.

Philcott
10-01-2014, 02:17 PM
This is what I received from the ministry when I asked.

(2) For the purpose of section 36 of the Act, a person who possesses the whole carcass or part of a carcass of an elk, moose or deer must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person's possession
(a) if the animal was male, either
(i) that portion of the head that bears the antlers, or
(ii) both
(A) a testicle or part of the penis, and
(B) the animal's tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2, and

As far as an antler restriction goes.

There is no definition of “carcass” in the provincial Wildlife Act. In cases where things are not specifically defined in legislation definitions that are commonly found in dictionaries are used. Dictionary definitions of “carcass” vary; some include the head and hooves, some do not. The Conservation Officer Service does not consider a detached head as “part of a carcass”; hunters that retain that portion of the head that bears the antlers attached to a detached head do not meet the requirement for evidence of sex and species. If a hunter is using that portion of the head that bears the antlers as evidence of sex and species, it must be left naturally attached to a portion of the carcass other than a detached head (i.e. a front quarter).

I read the above to say a detached head does not constitute proof of sex, nuts or penis will do that and the tail will constitute proof of species.

I also "believe" having the separated head with antlers will suffice for the antler restriction but not proof of sex. This is just my belief.

So I'd leave the nuts or penis and the tail attached to one deboned quarter and I'd bring the antlers attached to the head.

Wentrot
10-01-2014, 02:56 PM
This is what I received from the ministry when I asked.

As far as an antler restriction goes.

I read the above to say a detached head does not constitute proof of sex, nuts or penis will do that and the tail will constitute proof of species.

I also "believe" having the separated head with antlers will suffice for the antler restriction but not proof of sex. This is just my belief.

So I'd leave the nuts or penis and the tail attached to one deboned quarter and I'd bring the antlers attached to the head.

This is what I would do.

boxhitch
10-01-2014, 06:33 PM
but if he totally debones the meat and puts it in a cooler, like suggested, pretty hard to do that.
thought they had to be attached.Serious ? You've been around for several of these discussions ...naw , your just kidding , right ?

Sofa King
10-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Serious ? You've been around for several of these discussions ...naw , your just kidding , right ?
i just dont get how having the head doesnt identify the deer. do they really think that someone is keeping the head from one deer, but the meat from another? but then having the cack attached to a rear quarter is good enough? i know what the rule is, but like lots of the regs, some dont make total sense.

Ferenc
10-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Went through a game check just to watch the CO take a nice boned out mule deer from a hunter ... He took all the boned out meat and the antlers also ... He said to me that hunter did not leave any evidence of the sex .... Pay attention ...

Sofa King
10-01-2014, 07:15 PM
what did he think the antlers were? i know its the rules, but some common sense could come into play as well.

skuntor
10-01-2014, 07:38 PM
I like this idea! Your profile says your are outside Kamloops. I'll be in 3-36 Shuswap area. How far is that from you?

The Blow Flies will love you for hanging there favorite meal in 20 degree temperatures!!! Depending on where your going in Region 3, I just happen to have a walk in cooler, the Blow Flies hate it!!! I keep it around 2 to 4 degrees, I charge 10 bucks a day for Deer, and 15 a day to hang a Moose. BUT, beings your a great guy, much like myself, we can discuss the rates, and your a Member in Good Standing on this site also, we'll also use that to keep the bill down! If possible, give me a call when you get a Deer and I'll turn the room on, my home number is 250-573-4271. Good Luck!

Fred1
10-01-2014, 07:48 PM
i just dont get how having the head doesnt identify the deer. do they really think that someone is keeping the head from one deer, but the meat from another? but then having the cack attached to a rear quarter is good enough? i know what the rule is, but like lots of the regs, some dont make total sense.

Three years ago I saw two guys out hunting with a two-point moose head under a tarp in their truck. We stopped to talk because the guy I was with knew them - apparently they got the two point the day before. Not sure if they were hunting moose, but they asked if we had seen any? 0_o

brian
10-02-2014, 09:08 PM
5 degrees C and under is the safe temperature to hang your meat. Anything over that is promoting bacterial growth. Contrary to popular opinion, You do not need to hang meat, hanging it just allows the protein to break down (rot) which tenderizes it. But i would not risk bacterial growth for the sake of a bit of tenderness.

Liveforthehunt
10-02-2014, 09:17 PM
thought they had to be attached.

Antlers don't have to be attached think about it ... Have u ever shot a moose or elk before ? Kinda hard to not quarter it up leaving the antlers attached to the whole body ... You need a patch of fur which is evidence of species 1 inch squared and evidence of sex so the nuts or at least one nut attached to meat. Fur kept on quarter ect

caddisguy
10-07-2014, 08:32 AM
I always have one of those 189L roughneck rubbermaid containers in the back of the jeep. I always figured that If I got a muley I could fit most of it in there with ice in the cavity.

If it had antlers worth keeping, I'd cut the skull cap and discard the rest of the head. Only problem I could think of is that if I need to cut the carcass in half, one half won't have evidence of sex.

Thinking a 5 hour drive in 20 degrees might be a bit much for anything without ice. I don't know. I'll figure it out when the time comes. Maybe I'll just throw the whole carcass in the back of the jeep, wrapped in deer sock with ice in the cavity and a some rope tied around to keep the ice in. Messy but the carpets come out easy enough.

But yeah I told my girlfriend for this weekend if either of us shoots a deer, unless it's a double header or we see another one on the way back, we are leaving ASAP with one deer. Probably means caddisguy will not get his first buck this weekend but girlfriend will. I am mostly ok with that.

adriaticum
10-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Bring buck balls with you. They are tasty treats!

Sofa King
10-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Antlers don't have to be attached think about it ... Have u ever shot a moose or elk before ? Kinda hard to not quarter it up leaving the antlers attached to the whole body ... You need a patch of fur which is evidence of species 1 inch squared and evidence of sex so the nuts or at least one nut attached to meat. Fur kept on quarter ect

I've always taken my animal home, even moose, and done all the work, outside of gutting, at home.
so, i''ve never personally experienced this, never been in the predicament.
still don't get why a nut has to remain attached, but the rack doesn't.

skuntor
10-07-2014, 10:40 AM
We ended up downing one saturday night then hung it overnight as it was cool. Took it to a local butcher to hang in cooler the next morning so we didnt hav eto take any chances. We were only 20 minutes away from the butcher so it wasn't really out of the way. Glad we did it so we didnt have to worry about it as we kept hunting. I know this is not always an option.

Sofa King
10-07-2014, 10:51 AM
that's another reason why I prefer the late season.
no bugs, no worries about the heat, dragging is easier, snow helps with the clean-up.
and best of all, you know if the deer are there or not.

caddisguy
10-07-2014, 11:55 AM
that's another reason why I prefer the late season.
no bugs, no worries about the heat, dragging is easier, snow helps with the clean-up.
and best of all, you know if the deer are there or not.

All true. Snow makes tracking easy. It's more difficult (for me) to tell if a track is fresh... having to think about whether the track could have been made in that ground texture, or did it require more moisture... is it sharp and well defined or is it eroded... is there loose debris like pine needles or pebbles in it that couldn't have been there when the track was made, etc. Snow is a little more obvious. Too bad my experience and comfort driving in the snow is comparable to your average lower mainlander. Snow keeps caddisguy local. I have some decent AT's but no chains. Just two sissy cables which I believe if I put on I would have to stay 2wd which would probably be worse. Can't imagine heading down those narrow slanted switch-backs if they were caked with snow. It's like an 800M drop down.