PDA

View Full Version : Moose success (by canoe)

cuervosail
09-30-2014, 01:19 PM
It’s about 1,000 miles from the lower mainland to Fort Nelson but,despite the distance, for the second year in a row we chose a trip by canoe down the Fort Nelson river in hopes of bagging a moose. Last year, over the course of five days in early October, we saw quite a few moose. Some were cows and we weren’t able to determine whether others were legal bulls and we came home empty-handed. This year, we decided to go a little earlier and stay a little longer in hopes of finding some bulls that were just starting to look for some love.

The first morning on the river got off to a good start. Pulling over to check out a promising bit of bush, a bull quickly responded to a cow call. We could tell from the racket he was making with his antlers against the trees that he was eager and close! However, despite our best efforts he went silent and slipped away.

Floating along the river silently is a great way to moose hunt. Jet boats certainly let you cover a lot of river miles but when you’re in a canoe and the only sounds you hear are leaves falling or squirrels chattering (and the occasional stick breaking), your senses are always on high alert. For anyone who has the opportunity, I'd highly recommend it as a way to hunt.

Some elk, a cow moaning (in the same section of bush we saw some action last year) and a brief glimpse of a far-off bull kept us focused for the first few days. One evening, a cow, a calf and a young bull stepped out of the bush about 400 yards from where we had just set up camp. Just as we were closing in for a shot at the spiker, a jet boat rounded the corner and the moose were gone. However, the next day, a young bull made the mistake of taking a mid-day stroll along a rocky beach and a short while later gave us a first opportunity to work on our gutting and skinning skills. It’s always nice to make a kill and not have to do any packing!
On the last evening of the hunt, a bull spent more than an hour grunting and thrashing about 500 yards on the opposite upriver bank. He quit just before dark but we figured he wouldn't travel far and we’d try to get over there before first light the next morning and see if we could persuade him to step out on to the shore.

It was a beautiful sunrise on the first dry morning we’d had on the trip. A couple of cow calls didn't produce a response … right away. The third call got his attention. From the opposite shore, I heard him grunt several times, downstream, back towards camp. Within a couple of minutes, he stepped out of the bush and started to swim across the river. I made a mad dash back to my canoe and was paddling for all it was worth to make it back downstream and try to get a shot. Luckily, one of the guys in our group had decided to ease into the morning, and decided to stay behind. He was messing around with the fire when the bull showed himself. By the time it climbed out of the water, it was only about 50 yards away from the camp. Thoughts of stoking the fire quickly evaporated and a few minutes later we had the second bull of our great trip. A couple of hours of paddling to the take-out and 20+ hours of driving back to the lower mainland were all that remained. The freezers are full this winter.It’s about 1,000 miles from the lower mainland to Fort Nelson but,despite the distance, for the second year in a row we chose a trip by canoe down the Fort Nelson river in hopes of bagging a moose. Last year, over the course of five days in early October, we saw quite a few moose. Some were cows and we weren’t able to determine whether others were legal bulls and we came home empty-handed. This year, we decided to go a little earlier and stay a little longer in hopes of finding some bulls that were just starting to look for some love.

The first morning on the river got off to a good start. Pulling over to check out a promising bit of bush, a bull quickly responded to a cow call. We could tell from the racket he was making with his antlers against the trees that he was eager and close! However, despite our best efforts he went silent and slipped away.

Floating along the river silently is a great way to moose hunt. Jet boats certainly let you cover a lot of river miles but when you’re in a canoe and the only sounds you hear are leaves falling or squirrels chattering (and the occasional stick breaking), your senses are always on high alert. For anyone who has the opportunity, I'd highly recommend it as a way to hunt.

Some elk, a cow moaning (in the same section of bush we saw some action last year) and a brief glimpse of a far-off bull kept us focused for the first few days. One evening, a cow, a calf and a young bull stepped out of the bush about 400 yards from where we had just set up camp. Just as we were closing in for a shot at the spiker, a jet boat rounded the corner and the moose were gone. However, the next day, a young bull made the mistake of taking a mid-day stroll along a rocky beach and a short while later gave us a first opportunity to work on our gutting and skinning skills. It’s always nice to make a kill and not have to do any packing!
On the last evening of the hunt, a bull spent more than an hour grunting and thrashing about 500 yards on the opposite upriver bank. He quit just before dark but we figured he wouldn't travel far and we’d try to get over there before first light the next morning and see if we could persuade him to step out on to the shore.

It was a beautiful sunrise on the first dry morning we’d had on the trip. A couple of cow calls didn't produce a response … right away. The third call got his attention. From the opposite shore, I heard him grunt several times, downstream, back towards camp. Within a couple of minutes, he stepped out of the bush and started to swim across the river. I made a mad dash back to my canoe and was paddling for all it was worth to make it back downstream and try to get a shot. Luckily, one of the guys in our group had decided to ease into the morning, and decided to stay behind. He was messing around with the fire when the bull showed himself. By the time it climbed out of the water, it was only about 50 yards away from the camp. Thoughts of stoking the fire quickly evaporated and a few minutes later we had the second bull of our great trip. A couple of hours of paddling to the take-out and 20+ hours of driving back to the lower mainland were all that remained. The freezers are full this winter.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b496/cuervosail1/IMG_0155_zpse4ef056b.jpg (http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/cuervosail1/media/IMG_0155_zpse4ef056b.jpg.html)

Sofa King
09-30-2014, 01:26 PM
beauty moose.

adriaticum
09-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Congrats, what a nice bull!

Rob Chipman
09-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Nice work. How many canoes? How much gear? I've shot a moose from a canoe and loaded it in. I can't imagine two bulls and all the gear even fitting! What kind of canoe? More pics? Sounds like a great trip.

two-feet
09-30-2014, 01:35 PM
I cant decide what is more impressive, the bull moose or the sweet Viking hair! My favorite moose success to date was a kill from a canoe as well. Trying it again this year too.

takla1
09-30-2014, 01:39 PM
good job boys !!.No shortage of points on those brow-tines that's for sure!Ive taken many large bodied moose in that area back in the 90's early 2000's till the antler restrictions came in.Allways hunted the prophet south of ft nelson.

takla

Liveforthehunt
09-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Nice moose !! I hunt the fort Nelson area every year with great success that's a solid bull right there was he stinky ? Biggest moose I ever saw was on the Prophet after dad and I both filled our tags 6x7 on the brows straight out both ears

GoatGuy
09-30-2014, 01:55 PM
awesome job and great bull.

Got a buddy who has a gun and most of his gear sitting on the bottom of the river lol.

sawmill
09-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Good for you,a great way to hunt ain`t it!We used to float the Peace from FSJ to the border at Rolla in canoes,an overnighter.Many great hunts with friends and a lot of nice bulls too.I miss it.

Getbent
09-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Right on that is super sweet, what a great way to hunt.

Sleep Robber
09-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Enjoyed the read and WHAT A MOOSE !! Congrats !!

kilometers
09-30-2014, 03:06 PM
That's a keeper 4 sure!! Great adventure

kennyj
09-30-2014, 06:06 PM
Beauty bull! Great job guys.
kenny

treehugger
09-30-2014, 06:21 PM
Great job... Looks like an awesome hunt! Thanks for sharing

curt
09-30-2014, 06:58 PM
awesome job guys great story

Ruffed
09-30-2014, 07:05 PM
That's a beautiful moose. Congrats!!! I'm also interested in how much gear you took. and how did you manage to fit it all in 2 canoes? Did you sleep in one large tent with a wood stove or use pup tents?

Henry

markt308
09-30-2014, 07:37 PM
nice bull! great fronts on him congrats

Rattler
09-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Thanks for sharing. No doubt a nice way to hunt....

cuervosail
09-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Nice work. How many canoes? How much gear? I've shot a moose from a canoe and loaded it in. I can't imagine two bulls and all the gear even fitting! What kind of canoe? More pics? Sounds like a great trip.

Each of us was paddling solo so there was plenty of room for a yearling and this big boy.

cuervosail
09-30-2014, 08:22 PM
That's a beautiful moose. Congrats!!! I'm also interested in how much gear you took. and how did you manage to fit it all in 2 canoes? Did you sleep in one large tent with a wood stove or use pup tents?

Henry

We each had our own two-man tents (none had wood stoves), Whisperlight stoves for cooking, etc. Much more than what you'd carry if you were in the mountains, but a far cry from what people take on camper/ATV hunt.

HarryToolips
09-30-2014, 08:26 PM
Wicked bull!

Buck
09-30-2014, 11:01 PM
That would be a great way to hunt moose congrats

markomoose
10-01-2014, 02:15 AM
Good read and a real nice bull moose.I can hardly wait.

takla1
10-01-2014, 05:31 AM
Nice moose !! I hunt the fort Nelson area every year with great success that's a solid bull right there was he stinky ? Biggest moose I ever saw was on the Prophet after dad and I both filled our tags 6x7 on the brows straight out both ears

you can bet he was a stinky bugger,every large bull I shot on the prophet in that area from sept 15th on was in full rut and stinkin to high heaven.We always got our bulls on the 17th-20th of sept like clockwork.Usually always coinsided with the first good frost and the big guys would come down into the river bottoms looking for love.Made lots of pepperoni and any steak cuts used to let them sit in milk overnight in the fridge to get the rut smell out of the meat..

Ruffed
10-01-2014, 06:01 AM
I think that would be just an awesome way to hunt. Nice and quiet...... and a lot cheaper too!

bcd
10-01-2014, 06:29 AM
Awesome! Nice work. Planning a canoe moose hunt in November, this thread has me pumped! I have the basics covered, but any tips based on the experience for what gear you wouldn't take if it was two men per canoe and space more limited? And what stuff you found great to have?

ElliotMoose
10-01-2014, 06:48 AM
Great looking bull! Nice big heavy brows. Congrats guys

The Hermit
10-01-2014, 08:17 AM
Good on you guys! Beauty moose! I've only hunted from a canoe a few times and I love it... got my moose that way too. Did a trip down the Nelson one year ... great great great time! Next time I'm taking the little 2hp gasser and will push up the Snake for a ways too. Great country.

nature girl
10-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Now that is a way to hunt in a canoe. Thanks sounded like a great trip.

BigfishCanada
10-01-2014, 08:35 AM
Motley crue with a great moose! Sounds like a great trip, i could never come cause I guarantee tipping that thing if i was in it

blackwater
10-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Is that Bryan Callen in the back?