PDA

View Full Version : Left my deer over night

hoochie
09-30-2014, 08:53 AM
I had been scouting a huge area for a couple days, and had found that the Mulies were in the area at first light, and a small group of White tails would come in there in the evening. I had wondered if at last light, some bucks would come in in the far back of this area. My wife and I sat in the middle of a huge area, I don't know.. 40.. maybe 50 acres?
No sign of any mulie bucks. Something told me we should move and head back toward the road, and back to where I had seen the white tails. Sure enough, I spot one. Then we see a buck just a bit farther off. I could not see them with my eyes, but they were easy to see in the Binos.
We sat patiently as they came across from the West, and then down in this gully, then up to the level we were on. The deer started slowly right in our direction. I still had lots of shooting light left, but wasn't really paying attention to the sun on the horizon.
I take my shot from about 230yards. The deer bolt off. I thought "OMG did I just miss?" I cycle another round and watch the deer in my scope. He ran for what seemed like 5 or 6 seconds, then dropped. I saw him go down, my wife watched in the Binos.
I started walking out toward the deer, and she said "the other one is right near it.. keep walking that way" I had a reference point of where I thought the deer was in relation to trees, stumps etc. I walk out and turn around to get a reference from where I took the shot. The sun was right in my eyes and it made it hard to see.
I mistakenly looked back at another large stump ( you know when a tree goes over, and all the roots are still attached.. I shot from one of those). I look back at where I thought I was and tried to get my bearing again.
I could not find my deer.
Now its getting really dark and logs start to look like the white belly of deer, my eyes are playing tricks on me. I had to get out a flash light.
I honestly must have searched an area of about the size of a football field and could not find my deer.
Now its getting to be somewhere near 8:45, total darkness, and the moon was not very big at all... so no help there.
I was mad at myself, frustrated, and sort of confused. I know damn well I saw the deer go down.
I barely slept.
03:30 the next morning I'm wide awake, made some coffee and kept replaying it on my head over and over.
I haven't had this happen before, and there was a large pack of coyotes we could hear every night. I was concerned that something would get to my deer before I did.
Just before first light we head back out, and retrace our steps. Things somehow looked a little different at first light.
I went back to the stump, picked up my brass. triangulated again. My wife says "see the stump over there 100 yards or so?.. that's the one you kept looking back on to reference from last night" I asked her "are you sure? why the heck would I have been looking over at that one?"
Within 10 minutes I found my deer. Untouched!
The shot was prefect. Just where I wanted it to go. just behind the front shoulder on the left side, clean through and exited the right lung.
I looked around at the area, and I figure that the night before I was starting my search about 30 yards from the actual location, and working away from the deer, not toward it. I got my White tail, nice 3X3, and what a huge relief. I swear, it was better than xmas, birthdays.. omg it was just awesome to recover the deer.

I know its a long story, but may this never happen again, and may it never happen to you!
good luck out there everyone,
cheers

Wentrot
09-30-2014, 08:56 AM
Pictures???

Oh ya, congrats!

monasheemountainman
09-30-2014, 08:58 AM
Pics or it didn't happen

300H&H
09-30-2014, 08:59 AM
Congratulations on your buck...lets see some photos.

hotload
09-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Just a bit of a hint for just those kind of circumstances because once you start walking things do change in looks and all stumps seem to look the same, add failing sun light to the equation and the degree of difficulty goes way up. Carry a compass and after the shot take a reading out to where you last saw your deer and no matter how you have to detour because of debris in a cutblock the compass reading will always take you back to your initial spot. If your in a treestand once you climb down things change, this works from there as well, take the reading, climb down, and head straight for the animal............................................ .....

ElliotMoose
09-30-2014, 09:45 AM
I've had this happen to me before. Definitely results in a sleepless night! Congrats on your buck and good on ya for going back

pin_head
09-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Also, if you have the luxury of a partner. Leave one person at the spot to direct the searcher.

Brad

Fisher-Dude
09-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Congrats on the deer! Glad it all worked out for you. I think many of us have had similar experiences with nightfall and retrieving game.

sawmill
09-30-2014, 11:52 AM
Glad you found it,same thing happened to me 2 years ago,I just got him at last light,he hit the thick stuff and I ran out of light.Had a bad night and got up at 4 am,4 hours before tracking light and watched it snow like a SOB,dumped 4 inches by the time I could start looking,wiped out any sign.2 hours of grid searching,spirals and just plain stomping around and just when I was sure I was screwed I spot part of his rack sticking out of the snow under a small spruce.
Ain` t a feeling like it.I was extremely happy.And I too hope it never happens to anybody else.Makes for a long and shitty night.

M.Dean
09-30-2014, 12:17 PM
I've used Marking Tape to show where I fired from lots of times, I'd look around for the highest branch or bush I could reach, then tie 3 or 4 strips of bright orange tape to them so when I looked back I'd have no problems seeing where I fired from. Good job on finding your buck!

09-30-2014, 12:27 PM
I've used Marking Tape to show where I fired from lots of times, I'd look around for the highest branch or bush I could reach, then tie 3 or 4 strips of bright orange tape to them so when I looked back I'd have no problems seeing where I fired from. Good job on finding your buck!

x2 always.

Gone_Fishin_
09-30-2014, 01:21 PM

x2^^^^^^^^^^

Always have a 12"pc of flag tape in my back pocket for that chance i do get to shoot something i tie that sucker onto the closest this next to where i shot from. This way i can always go back and retrace my steps when needed.

Philcott
10-01-2014, 10:59 AM
With the tape, you can also mark a spot out about 25 - 50 yards that lines up to where you believe the animal is and put a second piece of flagging up. This way you have a line of sight that you can use to get back on track.

steveo
10-01-2014, 11:46 AM
I agree with the flagging tape works great, I usually carry a roll in my fanny pack. A short drive down any road will usually lead you two a couple handfuls of it. One quick question, if you have to leave a deer over night how to you know it is still good with the guts still in it?

Sofa King
10-01-2014, 11:50 AM
I found four big new rolls of flagging tape last time out.
way back in a cut.
there were a couple more, but the wind had gotten to them and unravelled them.
now I have enough, where if this happens to me, I can just tie the ribbon where I shot and walk along with it trailing behind.
that way I can see the real path of the bullet and re-live the moment even better.
the real fun will be rolling it all back up.

Singleshotneeded
10-01-2014, 12:02 PM
I've never left a deer out overnight, just a moose a couple of years ago in the Cariboo, but it was late October and a bit below zero. Just curious, at what temperature can you leave a deer overnight without having it go bone sour by the time you get it to the butcher? The two my son shot in the first week of September I gutted and dragged out as quickly as possible and then dumped them in an icy mountain creek for a few hours. It was warm and sunny then, and there was no way I wanted my mugwump's first bucks to spoil! Is it okay to leave a buck out overnight once the night temps are below zero...what's the rule-of-thumb?

Brizz
10-01-2014, 02:43 PM
good on ya

Spy
10-01-2014, 03:44 PM
No problem to leave a deer overnight even in warmer than normal. Ive seen a blacktail left overnight i on the Island & it was 15 + and the meat is good.

Squirrelnuts
10-01-2014, 04:02 PM
I agree with the flagging tape works great, I usually carry a roll in my fanny pack. A short drive down any road will usually lead you two a couple handfuls of it.

Please don't do that. That stuff's there for a reason. Spend the 3 dollars and buy a roll.

Sofa King
10-01-2014, 04:10 PM
anyone ever notice the deer chew flagging tape? ive many times found a ball of it all cudded up.

boxhitch
10-01-2014, 06:29 PM
good it worked out , a lesson forever
Always good to have a flag for every reference spot ,

.........Carry a compass and after the shot take a reading out to where you last saw your deer and no matter how you have to detour because of debris in a cutblock the compass reading will always take you back to your initial spot. Really ? I want a compass like that.

Wentrot
10-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Lol don't they all allow you to take a bearing?

Jagermeister
10-01-2014, 06:43 PM
anyone ever notice the deer chew flagging tape? ive many times found a ball of it all cudded up.
Could be porcupine, they seem to savour the flavour of materials derived from petroleum, particularly rubber.

I left a moose in the bush one time. It was at the end of September, the moose was gutted, propped open and slightly elevated in a tree.

Witnessed the November recovery of a mule deer from Crater Mountain one time. Shot late in the day and not recovered until mid morning. It was starting to sour.
I think that if the animal is pursued and not left to lie down, they build more body heat. When they eventually keel over, the extra heat starts the souring process much sooner.

boxhitch
10-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Lol don't they all allow you to take a bearing?Certainly do , but thats all

Fred1
10-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Last year I misplaced a moose... Low early morning light, he moved into a dark back drop of tree, 150m, trigger pulled WHAP! POOF! Moose gone!?!?!! I was pretty sure it hit - I was right behind the guy when he fired and the blast made me blink in the binos. Went out for a look... nothing? Sweep sweep sweep wtf? Nothing no blood zilch!?!?!? Went back to the stand and said no dice?? Played it over and over in my head - the whole thing didn't sit right? yup pretty sure I saw the ribs crush before I closed my eyes. We talked it over and agreed I we would do a three man sweep when the light was better - was a terribly dark day too. We kept hunting, his wife had a tag too. An hour later we went out for another look and 20m past my last marker there he was dead in the grass. I had hit the ground and headed for the wrong clump of tree. The compass really doesn't work from the top of a metal tree stand - we usually carve an arrow in the wood rail and (date it) in the direction of the moose. Once on the ground do the compass... I didn't. As mentioned, flagging ribbon is your friend! I always take mine down again in areas I frequent. Taking a bearing and some ribbon could be the deciding factor in BBQ or take out! or Hero and goat..... ;)

Jedcote50
10-01-2014, 07:37 PM
During the summer rather than leaving flagging tape hanging in the bush and having to retrace my steps to gather it, I sacrifice some of that biodegradable trail marker we all carry - toilet paper. Once the snow flys it's tougher to see, but by then the animal are easier to track.

Cordillera
10-04-2014, 09:08 PM
I pack a couple of those glo sticks. If i am tracking a blood trail at night I would tie one stick at my last spot, or where I believe the animal went down. I hope that will help in this kind of situation to triangulate.

The sticks are a buck each at the dollar store. These are also a "must carry" item in your personal flotation device so if you ever dump on the river or lake you can easily be located and find your partners easily at night.