PDA

View Full Version : Sons and hunts

riflebuilder
09-30-2014, 05:02 AM
My middle son is home on leave from the air force to do a little hunting. With only a few days left till he has to go back we have been trying hard to get this monster chocolate colored Black Bear. He has given us the slip the last two nights so we are going up the mountain in the dark this morning and see if we can get him first thing. The boy did get a whitetail already processed up into steaks, sausage and jerky. So I hope to have some success pics later today:-D

luckofthedraw
09-30-2014, 05:24 AM
good luck. Early morning dedication, hope it pays off for you today.

justachip
09-30-2014, 05:40 AM
Yes go and get him.

riflebuilder
10-02-2014, 07:09 AM
Well found the bear again in a tough spot got to 404 yds. according to the range finder. Steady rest on bipod. I gave my son my 7mm Rem to shoot as it has farther reach than his 300 Savage. I had my 340 Wby. ready to go as well then thought this is his bear not mine I am not going to shoot. So I am just looking through the bino's to see how it goes. I notice the bear getting a bit antsy so I keep telling him to take the shot. Well he does and shoots low. The bear spins around and jumps into the bush. I was able to track him as he walked across the basin not in a big hurry just moseying along. So we checked for blood and not finding anything and the bears reaction it was a clean miss. This is the furthest shot the boy has ever tried. After the shot he told me he was shaking bad and couldn't catch his breath. Kind of feel bad trying to get him to shoot. I told him he should of told me his hands were cold and he was short of breath. He has been at sea level for the past 2 years and I didn't even think anything of it. So again today we are headed up the mountain to see if we can find Mr. bear and try again. It would be pretty sweet to see my son get this guy he has hunted him hard and spotted him 3 times stalked twice and 1 shot so here's hopping #4 is the charm.

Sasqman
10-02-2014, 07:16 AM
Good luck, and thank your son for his service and dedication to our country!

Sofa King
10-02-2014, 08:36 AM
you should have told him to imagine he is in battle, and that's the enemy in his scope, and that if he misses that shot, that someone's life depends on it, possibly his.

Spy
10-02-2014, 08:48 AM
400 is a long way to shoot at an animal, im glad you did not wound it.:-(

treehugger
10-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Sheesh... those airforce guys! You have to hold their hands through everything ;)
Good luck!

Sofa King
10-02-2014, 08:57 AM
400 is a long way to shoot at an animal, im glad you did not wound it.:-(
it sure is. definitely a distance one would want to be practiced at before attempting a kill-shot.

riflebuilder
10-02-2014, 02:02 PM
17.2" bullet drop. We got snowed out up top today saw a monster grizzly at 75yrds. 3 bull elk 1 legal but with having to get on a plane to head back to base we passed on it(way down in a hole). We did how ever kill 4 rocks out to 600 yds. so why he missed? anyway there is always next year for him....I will have to go shoot his bear and send him pics...lol mean old dad.