PDA

View Full Version : Moose Cow Calls bring grizzlies

tripleseven
09-29-2014, 03:31 PM
I'm writing this after returning home 4 (prime ruts days) early, from my longest vacation in may years. I hope it serves as either new information or a reminder for anyone hunting moose in grizzly territory. I was on my first longer-than-a-weekend moose hunting trip in area 7-16-c, near the Parsnip river. I knew, and was reminded by gracious members on here that I was headed to grizzly country. My girlfriend went up with me, I expected to hunt a couple days by myself, and then be joined by a friend in Prince George for the last portion of my trip, the friend in PG fell through the day before he was to come meet me. I have to admit that as I've spent most of life hunting, fishing and working in forestry in grizz country, I might have been a bit complacent as to the threat they can pose.

Saturday morning was the first hard frost, and it did seem to kick the moose into the next level of rut. I'd seen more fresh sign than i had on previous days. One set of moose tracks was on top of my tire tracks from less than a couple hours before. I'd been doing a series of couple km or less slow walks while making cow calls, so this was a natural place to hop out and see if any moose wanted to talk back!

I hopped out of the truck and let out a call then proceeded to move slowly up the road. After 15 minutes or so, I was about to let out the second series of calls, and I'd noticed a rustling in the bushes probably 100 yards or so in the bush. I kept moving up the road slowly, and the presumed moose was making a going to cross the road just in front of me. Wanting to give myself some room for the shot, I paused. It kept closing in on the road, and a small flock of song birds erupted from a bush. Seconds before it was to come into the open i had a feeling something wasn't right. Perhaps it was how quiet the movement was, or not seeing glimpses of it's back.

I had my rifle raised, round chambered and safety off when two blond ears appeared. Before I could even think the 'o' of 'oh f$%k' she came at me full tilt. I've experienced other bluff charges by grizzlies, and they have always paused for a second or two. In this case she burst out of the bushes looking for prey, and was bearing down on me with the first of her two 'cubs'...they looked to weigh at least a couple hundred pounds each. I always thought I'd be one who stayed cool and collected and aim. Let me tell you, that bear covered the first 10 yards in absolutely no time. Trying to get a bead on something moving at you at 25 mph in that amount of time is impossible. I fired a shot in her direction, almost surely over her back. She then wheeled at about 7 yards, her 2 year old cub stopped at the same time, thankfully. She then gave a little growl,and they both hopped into the bush. The second cub only ever poked it's head from the bush.

The 150 meters or so that I walked/jogged back to the truck seemed to take an eternity, and it was only then that I had time to reflect on what happened. The whole incident took a few seconds.

Looking back on it, there's a few things I have learned:

-I'll never hunt moose alone in that area again (or in any area with as much bear sign as I'd seen). I don't think a second person would have stopped the charge, but at least I would have had someone to shoot her off of me

-I'll be very cautious where I'm making a cow call. I felt the road allowance was really wide, but i guess I didn't factor in the thickness of the brush, and how quick a bear can move.

-when you're walking and calling, as I was, you can start with one amount of visibility, and in a few minutes be in a different situation.

-be prepared. I'm not telling you all to keep a round chambered when you walk, but in my particular instance, I really believe that if I hadn't squeezed off that shot in less than half a second I would have been rolled around by two big grizzlies if not ending up in their brush pile for food.

-if I hadn't paused, and I was where they expected me to be - I'd have had a different fate.

After that experience, I decided that I didn't want to spend a few hours cutting up and carrying a moose carcass. If I didn't want to shoot moose as I was alone, it didn't make sense to stay in the bush moose hunting, so I packed up and drove home.

After speaking with the CO, he said it was almost surely a predatory turned defensive attack. I agree with him, that they thought I was a cow possibly with a calf.

I know there are a bunch of 7-16-C big bull draws starting Oct 1. If you'll be hunting the south part of that region, PM me and I'll let you know where I was.

Keep your heads on a swivel when you're cow calling, and pay attention to the country you're in if you'll be hunting alone!

Cheers,

Jagermeister
09-29-2014, 03:50 PM
A good account of your experience and a very timely reminder of the hazards of hunting in grizzly country. It's hard to tell if it was a protective charge or a predatory charge. The former I think.
One of the things I do is stay stationary when calling. I would prefer Bullwinkle to come to me. I also like to have a broad view of the area so that one can see a fair distance in all directions. That makes the sneak approaches nearly impossible.
Most of us are using scopes that are too over powered. In close quarter situations such as the one related, you will never find the animal in the scope and perchance you do, you will not be able to identify which part you're seeing. You can try sighting down the side of the barrel. I did that once when hunting moose. He was so close and backdropped against dark shadows of trees I just could not see him in the scope. I sighted down the side of the barrel and it was bang, smack, run, but only a short distance up a wee hill. Good for gutting.

albravo2
09-29-2014, 03:59 PM
One word: Wow.

That is a hell of a story. I appreciate you posting.

Glad it worked out the way it did.

Fred1
09-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Yuk!! Yes the worst ones are the sow with large cubs. You hit the nail on the head - trying to hit a speeding charging target is a pretty tall order. Guns make us feel far safer than we really are. Im glad you made it!

TARCHER
09-29-2014, 04:18 PM
hunted that area many years and have had GB experiences but none quite so acute. Glad you are here to tell about it. Several years back two friends were sitting and calling. The excitement built as the moose approached, both hunters at the ready, when suddenly out bursts a GB just like your description and it was killed at a very short distance.

tripleseven
09-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Thanks for your pre-trip help Fred. I spent 10 days back there, and really was getting zeroed in on a bull. I'd seen 3 and a cow, it was a gut buster to leave. as my girlfriend said..."there's always next year, unless there isn't"

Fred1
09-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Ya the Parsnip has bears alright - no doubt about that! (moose too) Seems like its been a big year for Gbears all over. I have had a couple run-ins while working and seen far too many in the drainage where im working! Two big ones! Nuts! In areas like that dropping a moose by ones self is a risky game. Lots of blood, several trips back and fourth - ya that's prime trolling for bears for certain! You may have been luckier than you think! At least you can say there is a next time!

Stresd
09-29-2014, 06:27 PM
Cow call also brings in the wolves. Least my buddies does.

adriaticum
09-29-2014, 06:31 PM
You can probably thank the fact that you remained calm and above all that you had a round chambered and safety off.
Glad it was only a lesson for life and nothing more. I have a friend hunting for moose there right now.

adriaticum
09-29-2014, 06:36 PM
Makes me wonder about solo vs partner hunt.
If you had a partner and he ran you would be in trouble or you would have to kill the bear.
If one of you runs she would probably continue the charge.
But you never know what someone's nerves are made of until they are tested.

tripleseven
09-29-2014, 06:38 PM
Hey Stresd, that was a question I'd asked the CO I spoke with...whether my cow call might have sounded sick or wounded. He'd said probably not, and that he used a normal cow call to bring in even problem black bears. Who knows. I didn't shot a moose, and i got jumped by grizzlies, so I dont have much to go on.

250 sav
09-29-2014, 06:44 PM
Yes very scary and something that will change components of how and where you hunt, had a similar enconter in 2003 in in 7-07 and the shot turned the charge in my case also.

Fred1
09-29-2014, 06:49 PM
Hey Stresd, that was a question I'd asked the CO I spoke with...whether my cow call might have sounded sick or wounded. He'd said probably not, and that he used a normal cow call to bring in even problem black bears. Who knows. I didn't shot a moose, and i got jumped by grizzlies, so I dont have much to go on.

Sounds like you were doing it right ;)

Jagermeister
09-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Makes me wonder about solo vs partner hunt.
If you had a partner and he ran you would be in trouble or you would have to kill the bear.
If one of you runs she would probably continue the charge.
But you never know what someone's nerves are made of until they are tested.Well, with a partner, you just shoot the partner as they pass you and you're safe.

tomahawk
09-29-2014, 08:27 PM
A lot of people will experience this behaviour at one time or another if you spend a lot of time where bears live. You were pretending to be a member of a prey species and she saw an opportunity to capitalize. Don't stop doing what you love to do, it's likely not at high odds to happen again anytime soon.

Kami
09-30-2014, 06:51 AM
Great story thanks for sharing. This should keep a few more city slickers out of the north. ;) When I hunt alone in GB country I do indeed walk with a hot round in the chamber. Scope out all the way to 3X. So far I have been lucky.

Brez
09-30-2014, 07:30 AM
thanks for posting. My partner has called in blacks and grizz with his cow elk calls while bow-hunting. It's pretty nerve wracking. Glad things turned out OK for you.

rainman
09-30-2014, 08:53 PM
A lot of people will experience this behaviour at one time or another if you spend a lot of time where bears live. You were pretending to be a member of a prey species and she saw an opportunity to capitalize. Don't stop doing what you love to do, it's likely not at high odds to happen again anytime soon.

not too sure about that especially in the parsnip area, happened to me 2 years ago ,had a chance to shoot it and didnt,i regret that decision.i dont think i will be the only hunter that grizz bothers........this is the only year in the last 3 that i didnt have grizz problems......be careful out there ,there are ALOT of grizzlies around

electroman
09-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up. My brother is up in 7-16c now and i will be joining on thursday. Not totally sure how to PM but if you get this please feel free to PM me.

gutpile
09-30-2014, 09:33 PM
So if the bear was that close to you, coming right at you, why would you give it a warning shot
why not a kill shot ?

Gateholio
09-30-2014, 11:47 PM
Pretty freaky!

I was nose to nose with a grizzly last night, too.

He he almost got a TTSX to the brain. :)

Ruffed
10-01-2014, 06:19 AM
So if the bear was that close to you, coming right at you, why would you give it a warning shot
why not a kill shot ?

You try holding steady with 700 pounds bouncing up and down and coming at you at 25 mph with razor sharp claws and teeth. I think he tried but under the circumstances it didn't work out that way.

boxhitch
10-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Hairy moments for sure , good it worked out.
imo Warning shots are pointless unless they are on hair. No critter instinctively knows that a gunshot could mean pain and the extra noise is a lost effort on a serious charge.

Also on the calling , most hunters have never heard a real cow or calf calling to know what pitch or tone mimics one or the other, lots of calling sounds like calf , that goes for moose and elk.

BigfishCanada
10-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Wow thank you for this and im glad your safe, very scary and it reminds us all to be cautious in bear country. Good points to remember

tripleseven
10-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Hi Gutpile, I think if I'd been able to get the rifle on her I would have tried for a kill shot. I can't tell you enough just how unbelievably quickly everything happened. The time between when I first saw her, and when I'd shot and she had turned I think was less than a second. After she had turned she offered me a good broadside shot, and I had a the crosshairs on her but I figured (correctly) the real danger had passed.

I've spent a lot of time thinking as to whether I'd have been able to get a second shot off. My rifle is a BAR semi-auto, i think I would have...At the range she was at, I pretty much could have touched her with the muzzle if she'd some another couple steps.

why not a kill shot ?

tripleseven
10-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Yup, that pretty much sums it up. Everything happened in an instant...I saw her and she was tearing up the road at me. I'm glad the warning shot worked.

You try holding steady with 700 pounds bouncing up and down and coming at you at 25 mph with razor sharp claws and teeth. I think he tried but under the circumstances it didn't work out that way.

adriaticum
10-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Pretty freaky!

I was nose to nose with a grizzly last night, too.

He he almost got a TTSX to the brain. :)

Lol, size matters!

Fred1
10-01-2014, 12:29 PM
I have witnessed quite a few grizzly run. Last year I watched a sow and three cubs run across 400m of fairly flat field. It took seconds! It was however fairly slow compared to the 800lb boar that crossed the same patch of grass 2 mins later. If you think moose can run, up that a fair bit and you have a grizzly on the chase. Incredibly fast!! Even faster than Ben Johnson leaving Canada after failing a steroid test!!! Im pretty sure from what I have seen that a bear can cover any ground type faster than most can imagine. If you plan on jacking a round and putting him in the scope in three seconds, chances are you are already too slow. Keep your wits about you in bear country...

moosinaround
10-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Nick, thanks for calling and letting me know you were out of the bush!! You must sound convincing as a cow moose!! Wish I could have gotten out with ya for a couple days! Beauty country, tough to hunt, and you did it solo, my hats off to you! Next time your up my way give me a shout, I'll BBQ steaks and we can tip a few brews back. Moosin

gutpile
10-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Hi Gutpile, I think if I'd been able to get the rifle on her I would have tried for a kill shot. I can't tell you enough just how unbelievably quickly everything happened. The time between when I first saw her, and when I'd shot and she had turned I think was less than a second. After she had turned she offered me a good broadside shot, and I had a the crosshairs on her but I figured (correctly) the real danger had passed.

I've spent a lot of time thinking as to whether I'd have been able to get a second shot off. My rifle is a BAR semi-auto, i think I would have...At the range she was at, I pretty much could have touched her with the muzzle if she'd some another couple steps.
Good call ! , if you had shot the bear broadside I think you would be up shitcreek with the CO .

Trigger Happy
02-23-2017, 03:43 AM
I'm writing this after returning home 4 (prime ruts days) early, from my longest vacation in may years. I hope it serves as either new information or a reminder for anyone hunting moose in grizzly territory. I was on my first longer-than-a-weekend moose hunting trip in area 7-16-c, near the Parsnip river. I knew, and was reminded by gracious members on here that I was headed to grizzly country. My girlfriend went up with me, I expected to hunt a couple days by myself, and then be joined by a friend in Prince George for the last portion of my trip, the friend in PG fell through the day before he was to come meet me. I have to admit that as I've spent most of life hunting, fishing and working in forestry in grizz country, I might have been a bit complacent as to the threat they can pose.

Saturday morning was the first hard frost, and it did seem to kick the moose into the next level of rut. I'd seen more fresh sign than i had on previous days. One set of moose tracks was on top of my tire tracks from less than a couple hours before. I'd been doing a series of couple km or less slow walks while making cow calls, so this was a natural place to hop out and see if any moose wanted to talk back!

I hopped out of the truck and let out a call then proceeded to move slowly up the road. After 15 minutes or so, I was about to let out the second series of calls, and I'd noticed a rustling in the bushes probably 100 yards or so in the bush. I kept moving up the road slowly, and the presumed moose was making a going to cross the road just in front of me. Wanting to give myself some room for the shot, I paused. It kept closing in on the road, and a small flock of song birds erupted from a bush. Seconds before it was to come into the open i had a feeling something wasn't right. Perhaps it was how quiet the movement was, or not seeing glimpses of it's back.

I had my rifle raised, round chambered and safety off when two blond ears appeared. Before I could even think the 'o' of 'oh f$%k' she came at me full tilt. I've experienced other bluff charges by grizzlies, and they have always paused for a second or two. In this case she burst out of the bushes looking for prey, and was bearing down on me with the first of her two 'cubs'...they looked to weigh at least a couple hundred pounds each. I always thought I'd be one who stayed cool and collected and aim. Let me tell you, that bear covered the first 10 yards in absolutely no time. Trying to get a bead on something moving at you at 25 mph in that amount of time is impossible. I fired a shot in her direction, almost surely over her back. She then wheeled at about 7 yards, her 2 year old cub stopped at the same time, thankfully. She then gave a little growl,and they both hopped into the bush. The second cub only ever poked it's head from the bush.

The 150 meters or so that I walked/jogged back to the truck seemed to take an eternity, and it was only then that I had time to reflect on what happened. The whole incident took a few seconds.

Looking back on it, there's a few things I have learned:

-I'll never hunt moose alone in that area again (or in any area with as much bear sign as I'd seen). I don't think a second person would have stopped the charge, but at least I would have had someone to shoot her off of me

-I'll be very cautious where I'm making a cow call. I felt the road allowance was really wide, but i guess I didn't factor in the thickness of the brush, and how quick a bear can move.

-when you're walking and calling, as I was, you can start with one amount of visibility, and in a few minutes be in a different situation.

-be prepared. I'm not telling you all to keep a round chambered when you walk, but in my particular instance, I really believe that if I hadn't squeezed off that shot in less than half a second I would have been rolled around by two big grizzlies if not ending up in their brush pile for food.

-if I hadn't paused, and I was where they expected me to be - I'd have had a different fate.

After that experience, I decided that I didn't want to spend a few hours cutting up and carrying a moose carcass. If I didn't want to shoot moose as I was alone, it didn't make sense to stay in the bush moose hunting, so I packed up and drove home.

After speaking with the CO, he said it was almost surely a predatory turned defensive attack. I agree with him, that they thought I was a cow possibly with a calf.

I know there are a bunch of 7-16-C big bull draws starting Oct 1. If you'll be hunting the south part of that region, PM me and I'll let you know where I was.

Keep your heads on a swivel when you're cow calling, and pay attention to the country you're in if you'll be hunting alone!

Cheers,

OMG just seen this post, my wife and I were chased last summer by the same group, got in between us and the truck and caught them.off guard. They were fighting in the road and one was up on.my.truck ripping at my.toolbox with grouse in it. Wife won't walk anymore, only road hunt. I tell that story often. Glad ya made it out with all limbs :)

smallfry14
02-23-2017, 12:25 PM
Little bit eerie for me considering I mostly hunt solo and do a lot of calling. Glad you made it out ok. I realize this is an old post but it deserves a bump.