PDA

View Full Version : Found my Blacktail area...now what?

Andrewh
09-29-2014, 08:23 AM
I am a little knew to the whole blacktail hunting 'cult'. I found an area that is steep, thick in sections and old-growth in other sections. I was hiking through it in region 2 to get to the alpine and came across a couple beaut sheds. One really nice and heavy 4 pt and the other is pictured below. It measures a tad over a 5.5" base...

Next step?

I figure head back in when the snow starts to fly and try and walk them down, also when do these region 2 bt's start to rut?

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/hunting/IMG_3555_zps36c09d43.jpg

Trekker
09-29-2014, 08:30 AM
holy shit, that thing is awesome. I see the most activity around nov 15ish onwards, but thats in my area on the island likely similar in region 2.

Andrewh
09-29-2014, 08:45 AM
ok great,

oh and I have 'normal' sized hands/fingers too...

Salty
09-29-2014, 09:02 AM
That's a cool find right there. Pretty old but chances are there's bucks still wintering there. If I was in your shoes I'd be looking for does nearby up to and during the rut. And watching the area where you found the shed like a hawk late and after the rut. Nice.

caddisguy
09-29-2014, 09:03 AM
I would have started hunting it on September 10th. Failing that, I would be hunting in immediately after Region 3 Any Buck :D

Ferenc
09-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Find any old rubs in the area... If so Jackpot for nov hunting!!

BigfishCanada
09-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Actually lots of action as early as thanksgiving?

avadad
09-29-2014, 07:19 PM
That's a good shed. Pretty old, but its proof that there is good genetics in the area. Good luck!

adriaticum
09-29-2014, 07:22 PM
Could that be a white tail?

~T-BONE~
09-29-2014, 07:34 PM
Nice shed! Get in there learn it! I'm sure there's fresher stuff.. Pre rut and snow will dictate what elevation they are at and time.. Prime would be nov 5- 20.. And like u said "walk them down!"

Wentrot
09-29-2014, 07:37 PM
Could that be a white tail?

lol my inexperienced eye was a bit confused as well and wanted to ask the same question.

luckofthedraw
09-29-2014, 07:37 PM
Wow that thing is old, and huge. I wonder how many of those I've walked by.

Andrewh
09-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Ya I will head back in mid Nov and poke my head around...

Here is another shed I found within 50 yrds or so.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/hunting/DSCN2007_zpsf76e24c5.jpg

Chopper
09-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Likely BT sheds ... I have a sht rat three point that is a dead ringer for a small whitetail. Bt's will grow a main beam with tines growing off no forks

ill post a pic

Chopper
09-29-2014, 09:43 PM
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff482/pilot2001/IMG_2967_zps0e084f17.jpg (http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/pilot2001/media/IMG_2967_zps0e084f17.jpg.html)

Chopper
09-29-2014, 09:46 PM
I am a little knew to the whole blacktail hunting 'cult'. I found an area that is steep, thick in sections and old-growth in other sections. I was hiking through it in region 2 to get to the alpine and came across a couple beaut sheds. One really nice and heavy 4 pt and the other is pictured below. It measures a tad over a 5.5" base...

Next step?

I figure head back in when the snow starts to fly and try and walk them down, also when do these region 2 bt's start to rut?

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/hunting/IMG_3555_zps36c09d43.jpg

although an obviously heavy buck ... the measurement will be exaggerated with the shed being so old. The water will have swollen it up a bit.

Not down playing it ... its a kranker

Salty
09-29-2014, 09:52 PM
Kranker it is got some palmation going on there skookum bases- would have loved to see those on the buck

Camp Cook
09-30-2014, 06:14 AM
I would now start looking for does = the pre-rut should be on very soon now so the bucks should be starting to hang close.

I have 4 pairs and 3 single does that I am watching now.

One pair are really getting used to me now over the last several weeks I have repeatedly gotten to within 7 - 8 yards of them.

Last night I was the closest they let me get to them so far 18' - 20' max and they were still feeding they kept looking into the thicker bush below them this time.

Bush they were looking into was to thick/dark to see anything but there had to be something there oh and I was that close for over 10 min.

Only bucks I've seen and this has only been since the weather changed last week are a 1 1/2" spike and 4" spike.

Oh yeah the big boys are coming...

The Hermit
09-30-2014, 06:43 AM
This weekend I would be looking for rubs and an active trail intersection as a place to set up a tree stand. Don't forget to consider prevailing winds. Tree stand = killing machine. Set up a couple game cameras. Once you select the perfect tree get the stand up, cut some shooting lanes, and clear a path in so you can get into the stand quietly in the dark.

Starting next weekend, be in the stand 30 - 45 min before sunrise. If nothing is happening by about 11 am get down and still hunt until about two hours before sunset then get back in the tree. The more time you spend in the tree the greater your odds...

I always consider Nov 11 THE day as far as the peak rut but it will be starting anytime now and go thru early December.

Good luck however you choose to hunt it, looks like a good spot!

caddisguy
09-30-2014, 07:44 AM
AndrewH that place looks familiar. I am wondering if you came across a rope (climbing aid) and/or trailcam?

Andrewh
09-30-2014, 08:16 AM
I am pretty sure that I am the only one that has been in there, it is a really shitty area to get to. It was about a 1000ft climb through the following picture before I got to an area that looked huntable and that is where I found the sheds. I was literally just passing through to get to the alpine...

No climbing ropes etc, or any other sign of a human footprint.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/Andrewshorvath/hunting/DSCN2005_zpsf3085bef.jpg

Wentrot
09-30-2014, 08:25 AM
Awesome, that'll keep lots of competition out lol

caddisguy
09-30-2014, 08:26 AM
It made me think of mountain we have been scouting 2-2. Technically not blacktail country on the books, but there's most definitely blacktails there.

That is some good Region 2 hunting right there. Thumbs up to you. Perfect example of how to be successful in the region. I hope you find the cranker that left that shed. You are definitely onto some good genetics. Who knows, there could be something even bigger.

Chopper
09-30-2014, 09:12 AM
if you are finding big sheds in old growth you are in there wintering grounds .... I wouldn't spend to much time in there until nov when it snows. They will be lower during the day , possibly still on the NW side of the hill. weather is starting to cool now but if its still warm there they wont be on the SE side

if there is alpine they will move up top at night to feed then head back down into the thick shit during the day.

I cant stress enough not to spend to much time in there right now. wait till the first snow. The deer will be just below the 12 inch level of snow and they will move to that SE side, Bt's like to stay as high as possible , not always but they like to stay in a snow level less than 12 inches. if the snow is hard and they can walk on top of it they will head back up higher again. It gets hard to hunt them again when the snow freezes , they get around good and its very loud to walk on.

Very critical to time that first snow if were in for a harsh winter

Good luck , you got a great spot

Wentrot
09-30-2014, 06:48 PM
Keep us updated please, love me a good blacktail thread.