PDA

View Full Version : Any buck,,,,,2 more days!!!

B-rad
09-29-2014, 06:30 AM
Can't wait for any buck on wed.,,,,,,I been fallowing this batchler group of mulies,,,,,,,2,2 points,,,,2,3points,,,,and a small 4x3,,,,,,, I soooooo want one of the 3 points,,,,,,he sooooooo huge,,,,,the tines are extremely long and thick,,,,,,just like packin a small tree on his head,,,,,I been passing on the 4x3 since opening day(2 weeks),,,,,,let's just hope holding out gonna pay off

RomanianTHUNDER
09-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Just remember don't pass on a buck the first day that you wouldn't pass up on the last day :)

But I'm doing a similar thing with a white tail buck lol , hope the big guy makes an appearance soon been passing on some small 4 points.

monasheemountainman
09-29-2014, 06:55 AM
Why couldn't you shoot the whitetail?

RomanianTHUNDER
09-29-2014, 07:15 AM
Because there is this big one that has been haunting my dreams for 2 years now ;)

Grousedaddy
09-29-2014, 07:22 AM
You got 2 tags for white tail dropem both

B-rad
09-29-2014, 07:23 AM
The area I hunt,,,,,,,there a lot of whitetail also,,,,,,I can harvest a whitetail ALMOST any time I want,,,,,,but I want the trophy 3 point mulie first,,,,,,then I'll concentrate on getting my 2 whitetail,,,,anyone else been seeing any whitetail bucks? I've only been seeing 1 little 2 point so far last couple weeks

SR80
09-29-2014, 07:45 AM
get out your blaze orange! First weekend of October is always a gong show, sounds like a bloody war zone. At least all the dink hunters get their spikes and two points and pack it in for the season though.

Grousedaddy
09-29-2014, 07:51 AM
I hunt region 3 pretty hard and i have yet to see a wt buck at any time just mulies ... Maybe im too loud walking through the bush .. Ill have to try some rattling when the rut starts

B-rad
09-29-2014, 09:00 AM
There quite a few pockets of whitetail around the Kamloops area,,,,,,,,Douglas lake to glimpse lake,,,a few around Roche lake,,,,,Nicolas lake to stump lake(along the high open ridges),,,,,little Fort area,,,,,tod mountain,,,,,heffley,,,,,up top barnhartvale(Campbell range,,,robins range,,,,power lines),,,,,Shuswap,,,,,just to name a few

.300WSMImpact!
09-29-2014, 11:30 AM
Worst season in bc

Fisher-Dude
09-29-2014, 11:39 AM
Worst season in bc

Yeah, the last thing we want is people shooting deer.

steveo
09-29-2014, 11:53 AM
" Yeah, the last thing we want is people shooting deer " now that's funny, I don't care who you are that right there is funny!

B-rad
09-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Shot a lot of deer in my life,,,,,but if I can connect the dots on this monster 3 point,,,,it will definitely be by far the largest 3 point I ever shot,,,,,,so pumped for wed to come

HarryToolips
09-29-2014, 12:12 PM
You got 2 tags for white tail dropem both

Reg3 yes, but reg8 only allowed 1 WT buck + 1 WT doe per season:-D

Grousedaddy
09-29-2014, 12:38 PM
I look forward to those pics good luck man and thx for the info

QUOTE=B-rad;1546722]Shot a lot of deer in my life,,,,,but if I can connect the dots on this monster 3 point,,,,it will definitely be by far the largest 3 point I ever shot,,,,,,so pumped for wed to come[/QUOTE]

GoatGuy
09-29-2014, 12:45 PM
Worst season in bc

Why?

Is there a sustainability issue with this?

caddisguy
09-29-2014, 01:04 PM
caddisguy is pumped up too. I thought I knew where I was going. Now I have no idea where I'm going. I will be hunting solo this time.

So many options... maybe check out Pratt or them Monte hills.... maybe dip down check out what's going on in Pinaus maybe head east of that Chase-Falkland road... check out Bolean. Maybe find a deer tied to a Stump.

Haven't decided where to sleep. I'm a camp of one. Safety in numbers! I might just sleep in the Jeep in a pull-off on some random FSR with a cooler full of leftover pizza. Though last time I did that it was a bit spooky. And my soft-top can't support the weight of an angry moose. Maybe a cheap motel will seem tempting. Either way, I think I will stay moderately close to the safety of the big city of Falkland. The Jeep doesn't have much of a gas tank and I don't want to take more than one jerry can. Guaranteed I'll get lost as some point.

Someone here had a tagline about how the best adventures begin with poor planning. This one is going to be awesome. Hold my beer and watch this!!!

caddisguy
09-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Why?

Is there a sustainability issue with this?

Some guys might be peeved because caddisguy is coming to their town.

Fisher-Dude
09-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Some guys might be peeved because caddisguy is coming to their town.

You nailed it.

Hope you smack a Walter buck, CG! :D

Liveforthehunt
09-29-2014, 03:26 PM
Good to here positivity and feedback about people's seasons soo far. Last night I actually passed on a small 4 point whitey in my " honey hole " I passed on a few this year all whitetails. I went on a trip for a few days last week saw one elk like Muley didny even need the bino's to see his rack from damn near a kilometer away, hiked up the alpine that day with lots of sign no deer. Going back this weekend to see I can connect and maybe come home with a beauty of a deer! It's also good to hear I'm not the only one who passes deer up and enjoys just being out there holding out for that cranker! Hope you hammer that big 3!!!

Sofa King
09-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Good luck on that 3.
I have a similar rack of a monster three point from a few seasons ago.
Nice thick rack and chocolate Brown.
Nicer by a mile than all but two of my four points.

Sleep Robber
09-29-2014, 03:53 PM
Big racks are always nice {for many reasons}, but then again the horns taste the shits so............

250 sav
09-29-2014, 06:53 PM
about 5 weeks til hunting the big bucks in the snow I hope

ducktoller
09-29-2014, 06:58 PM
All about moose thisnweekend. Hopefully parking my ass right by the swamps a click off the road will keep me fairly hidden in the untouched wilds of 3-12

livetohunt
09-29-2014, 07:01 PM
Pumped on any buck but still chasing my dream mulie , as are most ! Good luck to everyone this season! Also I know most people if not everyone says Princeton is an over hunted area , but yet I've been quiet lucky in the area for mulies but as for whitetails , Ive never seen 1 in that area and surrounding areas! Anyone ever drop a whitey there!?

dino
09-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Pumped on any buck but still chasing my dream mulie , as are most ! Good luck to everyone this season! Also I know most people if not everyone says Princeton is an over hunted area , but yet I've been quiet lucky in the area for mulies but as for whitetails , Ive never seen 1 in that area and surrounding areas! Anyone ever drop a whitey there!?
...red creek

luckofthedraw
09-29-2014, 07:33 PM
The newly placed trail cam hopefully has a WT or two on it. I don't mind holding onto the region 3 Mule tag for a few more weeks. Got a trip planned with the boys for the opening weekend in Prince, see you all there !! lol

GoatGuy
09-30-2014, 01:05 AM
Worst season in bc

Hahaha, never mind, I've seen the pictures and the stories.

Regulate everyone else to your "standards".

No offense, but you might want to take a step back and start worrying about what you're shooting, not what everyone else is shooting.

Probably wouldn't be nice to bag on someone for shooting a 2 pts to fill their freezer; you might just find people doing the same when you're shooting small, young 4 pts mulies and small bull elk.

hare_assassin
09-30-2014, 05:26 AM
The nice little spiker I picked out should taste fantastic!

B-rad
09-30-2014, 05:34 AM
Headin out in 10 min to see if the bachelor group still kickin around for opening morning tomorrow,,,,,,,hope the monster 3 point there this morning to mock me and wish me on my way,,,,,good group of 5 bucks though,,,,to bad the 4x3 is just a junior

4 point
09-30-2014, 01:07 PM
I'll be out first thing in the morning as well B-rad. Maybe I'll find that monster 3......., maybe a regress? All I want is my usual 4. Plus if you shoot one to early in the season you'll have to pass on something nicer later on and I hate that feeling. Lots of mulies around this year.

Fisher-Dude
09-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Good luck you guys! Hope to be seeing the pics here of all these bucks that have been teasing you the past few weeks!

sawmill
09-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Good luck guys,4 point or better here and they all live right in town.

Sleep Robber
09-30-2014, 02:50 PM
Sadly I'll have to live vicariously through this thread as I won't be in the field until the last week of October and into November.

Hope ya'll do well, so good luck, good hunting, and be safe out there as October always seems to bring a few clowns into the mix that like shooting at the first thing that moves. Some ribbon around them antlers sticking out of your pack is maybe a good thing to think of {that's if you don't already do that}. Have fun !!

HarryToolips
09-30-2014, 02:51 PM
I can't go out til the 11th damn it, leave one for me guys:mrgreen:

caddisguy
09-30-2014, 03:36 PM
I'll be in Falkland area from Thursday until I getter done or Sunday... whichever comes sooner. Odds might still be stacked against me though since I don't really know the area. I'm mostly looking for deer tied to trees.

tikkahunter
09-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Leaving shortly. Let's hope nobody invades the areas i've been scouting!!

bc_buckshot
09-30-2014, 04:59 PM
Leaving shortly. Let's hope nobody invades the areas i've been scouting!!

Depends where your going!

B-rad
09-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Wooooooohooooo,,,,let's get er done boys and girls,,,,,,can't wait to check thread tomarrow night to see how many peeps where lucky on opening day!!!

luckofthedraw
09-30-2014, 09:29 PM
Well, I was going to check cams and focus on wt tomorrow but....I said forget it. I can't take it anymore. Headed to the batch group of bucks and hoping to drop one. Good luck all.

boxhitch
10-01-2014, 07:36 AM
I'll be in Falkland area from Thursday until I getter done or Sunday... whichever comes sooner. Odds might still be stacked against me though since I don't really know the area. I'm mostly looking for deer tied to trees.Karaoke at the pub is a good time-waster )
Some good bucks have been taken near the power line up by Jimmy and Nugget Lakes .

SR80
10-02-2014, 06:48 AM
where are all the " meat buck " pics?!?

4 point
10-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Had to laugh on Wednesday morning while heading out for opening day of any buck in Reg 3 and heading to Tim's for coffee (at 4:45am) we round a corner in Aberdeen just 2 blocks from Tim's and 4 spikers are all together crossing the road. Another spiker seen on the highway out of town. Deer started to be seen just after daylight with a nice size 2 point seen at 6:55am. Now I can't take him that early on opening day so I pass. 12 more deer seen but no other possible shooters seen this day. Next weeks trip maybe. We'll keep going until a big 3 or 4 is found. We had a great day in the field and that's what its all about for us. Oh yah pepperoni from last years 4 x 5 drop tine for lunch.

caddisguy
10-02-2014, 09:57 PM
where are all the " meat buck " pics?!?

I found one today, but no pics. Birds were eating on it and I didn't want to get close. It might have been claimed by a bigger critter. No place to pull off anyway and logging trucks o' plenty.

My Region 3 shenanigans have begun. Arrived this afternoon and checked out an FSR between Falkland and Chase. Made my way up the switchbacks and got out to look around at the first place that looked reasonable. I think it was the last switchback before the plateau. I hiked around in the bush for a while. Lots of matted down trails and deer crap everywhere but nothing seemed too fresh. Found some bigger poop nuggets from moosesquatch.

But yeah holy logging trucks batman. I imagine there's logging trucks barreling down all the FSR's around here on weekdays this time of year. Here I am with no radio. Even forgot my scanner. I guess I have to go slow and listen with no rubbernecking.

Might check out the plateau tomorrow or go somewhere else.

caddisguy
10-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Saw a bull moose and cow, 4 does and a spike today. All while driving, nothing on foot. I stopped when I saw what I thought was two does. One had a couple slivers up top. I would have whacked him in the spirit of any-buck, but he didn't want to hang around and wait for me to get out of the jeep and load the 30-06. I came back a few hours later and saw the doe again... no sign of the spike though. I'll probably give the area another try tomorrow, but next time I'm in Region 3 I'll check out another place... probably Monte Creek or something. I ran into another hunter today and she told me there was a washout near the beginning of the Monte Creek FSR. Anyone heard anything?

When I head back to Region 2 in my drive-of-shame--probably tomorrow evening or Sunday morning--I was thinking of taking Douglas Lake Rd instead of driving all the way around passed Kamloops and then down to Merritt. I'm guessing they take the same amount of time or that DLR takes slightly longe.... must be more scenic and less traffic though?

B-rad
10-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Well,,,,,took a buddy with me today lookin for my monster 3 point I've had scouted for few weeks now,,,,,,found the batchelor group of bucks again(2,,,,,2 points,,,,,,,1,,,,3 point and the 4x3) but no sign of my monster 3 point,,,,,,so my buddy wanted to take a crack at the 4x3,,,,buck was aprox 80-90 yards,,,,,,first shot was high,,,,,,buck just flinched but did not even take a step,,,,,,,reloaded,,,,second shot right in the boiler maker,,,,,was happy for him,,,,second deer he's ever shot in his life,,,,,,wished that 3 point was there,,,,,the rack on him looks like a tree,,,,,oh well,,,,,maybe tomorrow mornin

Dannybuoy
10-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Saw a bull moose and cow, 4 does and a spike today. All while driving, nothing on foot. I stopped when I saw what I thought was two does. One had a couple slivers up top. I would have whacked him in the spirit of any-buck, but he didn't want to hang around and wait for me to get out of the jeep and load the 30-06. I came back a few hours later and saw the doe again... no sign of the spike though. I'll probably give the area another try tomorrow, but next time I'm in Region 3 I'll check out another place... probably Monte Creek or something. I ran into another hunter today and she told me there was a washout near the beginning of the Monte Creek FSR. Anyone heard anything?

When I head back to Region 2 in my drive-of-shame--probably tomorrow evening or Sunday morning--I was thinking of taking Douglas Lake Rd instead of driving all the way around passed Kamloops and then down to Merritt. I'm guessing they take the same amount of time or that DLR takes slightly longe.... must be more scenic and less traffic though?
Not first hand info But didn't boxhitch post that the bridge was out? but I believe you can still go up to Pratt lake via George cr at the north end of Monte Lake .

Dannybuoy
10-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Well,,,,,took a buddy with me today lookin for my monster 3 point I've had scouted for few weeks now,,,,,,found the batchelor group of bucks again(2,,,,,2 points,,,,,,,1,,,,3 point and the 4x3) but no sign of my monster 3 point,,,,,,so my buddy wanted to take a crack at the 4x3,,,,buck was aprox 80-90 yards,,,,,,first shot was high,,,,,,buck just flinched but did not even take a step,,,,,,,reloaded,,,,second shot right in the boiler maker,,,,,was happy for him,,,,second deer he's ever shot in his life,,,,,,wished that 3 point was there,,,,,the rack on him looks like a tree,,,,,oh well,,,,,maybe tomorrow mornin

You do realize that a "monster" 3 point is an oxymoron ..... :-D

lovemywinchester
10-03-2014, 08:48 PM

You may want to check out the avatar pic for Moose2. You'll take that comment back.

B-rad
10-03-2014, 09:18 PM
The monster 3 point I'm referring too is at least 2/3rds higher and twice as wide compared to the 4x3 we harvested today,,,,,that's why I'm holding out for the brute,,,

caddisguy
10-04-2014, 09:02 PM
I gave it one more go today. I made it up top where I saw the spike and doe yesterday just after first light. I saw two deer about 200 yards into the slash. Could it be? I whipped out the binos and looked for a minute.

It occurred to me I have really crappy binoculars. I'll have to use my scope. Turned the magnification dial to 9, checking them both up top very carefully, waiting for them to move their ears so I can tell if one has the slivers. Sure enough, the deer on the left is the spike from yesterday.

I chamber a round. I am going to make him my any-buck. Now I just need a steady shot. Hit the nearest stump... no good, brush in the way... next stump, too low. I was busted long ago and he's still standing broadside. Damn I really need a shooting stick. Lets try another... ok this one might work. I was able to rest the barrel on some bark sticking out.

I start to squeeze the trigger... just as the squeeze hit the point of no return, the bark started to give way. Bang! It was simultaneous. No idea if it was a hit out not. It started wandering off towards the treeline as if nothing happened. There was no way I was going to get another shot off. He wasn't moving fast, neither was she. Maybe? Maybe he's hit? No limp, no nothing, just slowly walking away. Both of them are walking. I watch waiting for him to collapse, but they enter the treeline. CRAP!

I had noted exactly where he was when I took the shot, and the exact path he took to the treeline. I am convinced I hit him, so I waited a good 30 minutes. I took everything I needed to process a deer and drag it back. II slowly made my way to ground zero. Nothing. No blood anywhere. Now I am thinking of adriaticum. This is different from the range and the gravel pit. Stuff happens... but I'm still not sure. I walked the path they took to the treeline. I watch three more does cruise by. Nice, but no blood anywhere. Do I enter the treeline? It's thick with 8-12' tall Christmas trees. It's hard to see anything but you can weave through them and there's clearly animal trails... moose sign, bear sign. I'm by myself and a bit worried about going in. What the hell, lets roll.

I walk in to look around, zig zagging through the trees looking for any sign of blood. Nothing. Tons of fresh deer crap and some older moose crap though. Then I hear crack-swoosh-thump-tump. A bear runs passed a few feet in front of me. I think it was a brown phase black bear. It was scrawny... couldn't have been more than 60lbs. Unsure if it was a cub, I decided that was enough. I spent a good 3 hours looking, only to confirm that I suck :(

I spent the rest of the day working that area. There was tons of deer sign. Tracks everywhere, old poop, fresh poop... it was a decent area. I stayed for about 20 minutes after the sun went behind the mountain and started heading down. I figured I was road hunt along the way. Half way down the mountain, I see two bucks. It looks like a 2x? and a 3x?. They stood on the side of the trail. I stopped to evaluate the situation, only to realize I couldn't even see their racks without my headlights. The sun may have just set on the plateau, but this was dark down here and certainly not legal shooting light. What a tease.

I'm half tempted to head up tomorrow morning for a quick road hunt and to check for the spike... but I should really be heading home. I'm disappointed but I enjoyed my stay. I ran into one local yesterday and she was super nice. While I was looking blood trail from the spike, I saw two ATV's head down the road and turned around when they saw my jeep tucked away in the brush. Same deal with a pick-up truck. The road goes through for a ways but they all turned around. So much space out here I guess. Wish I lived out here and I could do this every morning and evening.

Sorry I didn't get a meat buck to post for this thread, but I'll be back for more Region 3 shenanigans.

keithb7
10-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck.

I got mine today! From the truck darn it. I was planning to be out on foot. En route to my hiking spot I see this guy. 103 yards. Sako A7 270WIN. Boom. Instant drop. Had to cut my way into him with a chainsaw. Could only get so close. Winched him to my Sidekick. Tossed him in the rear hatch. He's at the butcher now. Jerky and pepperoni.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10354726_1509160416008119_5979983931495057048_n.jp g?oh=cf8be1422a68d48e4b950a0e634d7b01&oe=54834C08&__gda__=1421445218_67bb9fc3033a89d6d82f71bc8022629 d

caddisguy
10-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Lol funny I heard a chainsaw going. Were you near Falkland? ;-P

Good work & congrats!!

keithb7
10-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Thanks. Sorry no I was not near Falkland. I was quite a ways from. Way up Zippermouth lake way. ;)

HarryToolips
10-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Caddisguy..I feel for ya man, I've had pretty much that exact same scenario...I've learnt to practice the sitting position shot..

caddisguy
10-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Caddisguy..I feel for ya man, I've had pretty much that exact same scenario...I've learnt to practice the sitting position shot..

I've tested that at 100 yards or so. My unorthodox sitting on my rear end with elbows rested on the knees can usually get within a couple inches. I should try to practice that more longer range so that I'm confident at 150-200 yards without a rest. Can't always find a suitable rest in the field. Shooting sticks are a neat idea and might have worked in this case, but are a little annoying to carry around in a lot of cases. Tough break for sure... glad this kind of mishap is not too uncommon.

boxhitch
10-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Looks like a good trip caddisguy and you did have good luck , just didn't seal the deal , thats hunting.

Darksith
10-05-2014, 09:01 AM
Lol funny I heard a chainsaw going. Were you near Falkland? ;-P

Good work & congrats!!

lol, the funny thing is you even for a second thought maybe there was only 1 chainsaw going this time of year ;)

caddisguy
10-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Looks like a good trip caddisguy and you did have good luck , just didn't seal the deal , thats hunting.

I went out again this morning back to where the spike was. Saw half a dozen deer on the drive up but they all bolted down a steep bank into the thick stuff. Anyway I parked the Jeep about 500m away from where I was yesterday and walked in. First I spotted a doe... kept looking around and saw an amazing too-many-point muley. It was enourmous and had a forest on its head. I couldn't count the points. It had tines coming out of everywhere. This one was also about 200 yards out. Even worse, I was busted and it was skylined from me, sun just starting to rise. Beauty moment. No way I would take a shot. If I missed, it would end up in town. Both the buck and doe walked down the other side of the hill. I walked some old skid tracks hoping to meet them, but lack time to be subtle. No dice.

Back to the Jeep I figured I'd burn a little more gas so I could empty my jerry can and have a full tank and an empty can. I drove further and saw another nice buck. Didn't count the points. Decent deer... smaller rack but pretty thick. He bolted right away. Got out and walked around a bit. No dice.

I guess you're right having some luck seeing all these deer. I talked to other people who were frusterated they hadn't seen anything and how there was "no deer". One thing I did notice is that I did not see a single deer between the hours of 9:30am and 5:30pm. I think getting out for first light makes all the difference. Definitely no shortage of deer up there. Guessing I spotted 25 over the weekend, just didn't connect with a buck, despite having a shot at a spike and seeing some amazing bucks.

caddisguy
10-05-2014, 05:09 PM
lol, the funny thing is you even for a second thought maybe there was only 1 chainsaw going this time of year ;)

Gotta get trees off the road and cut firewood somehow. The reason I asked was because I heard a shot and then a chainsaw roughly where the shot came from. I think I found my answer though... there was some good gusts the night before and saw this morning a bunch of trees were down across one of the roads.

Sofa King
10-05-2014, 05:22 PM

hell no.
I've gotten what I consider a monster 3.
and I know where a monster 2 is that I might take this year.

Kami
10-05-2014, 06:32 PM
Just bad luck caddisguy. There's a lot of patience required, tons of time and gear, and most of all luck. First light is a real good time to increase your chances. Reading your story I think about some of my dry outings. It bugs me a little to see them from truck, when they bolt. I curse myself thinking I should have been on foot. When I am on foot for hours and see nothing, I think maybe I should have drove and covered more ground. Lol. Hunting....Lots of luck involved for sure, for some of us. I would say the single largest factor that helped my hunting, was moving to Kamloops. Now that, was a huge lucky break for me! I really feel for the hunters in the LML. I'm not sure I could endure what those guys do for a few weekends of hunting per year.