PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 season help.

Heffernan89
09-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Hey guys

During the pre season scouting I was able to find lots of buck, of course after youth season and regular season the spot I thought was so isolated and perfect is now filled with hunter every weekend. Needless to say I have been looking at other spot. I have been trying to stay in the 8-10 to the 8-12 area and have found a logging road where over the past 2 weekend I have only seen 3 people there. This Saturdays I was there early in the morning 6am, and a bull moose came out with a few cows. as much as I love seeing these animal I cant help but get discourage ,sense the beginning of the season I have only seen one mule doe. the doe did get really close and again I do enjoy it but I cant help but feel like I am doing something wrong. I usually get to my spot at 6 am maybe a little earlier sit there till 9 after that I do a small hike maybe 1hr to 2 hrs. after witch I hop in the truck do some scouting for other potential location and look at clear cuts. I see lots of deer track and I don't usually sit in clear cut (this Saturday I did sit on a clear-cut), I try to find a good heavily used trail and sit in the bush a little ways off a clear cut. I have seen other people thread asking "where did the deer go". I don't except someone to give me the key to success but just looking to talk strategy's.

also I have a quick ethic question for you... where I saw the bull moose I walked around the clear cut n notice a tree stand built look pretty new no rusty nails. I have never seen anyone in it but there is chairs in it. Would you use the tree stand or leave it?

boxhitch
09-29-2014, 08:38 AM
WT or MD ? Deer tend to go nocturnal this time of year , but get more active day and night closer to the rut. Spend more time sitting and less driving , you will know your spot better. I like to focus on a small area until I know the full potential.

Use the stand til the owner shows up , then say thanks and leave .

Phreddy
09-29-2014, 08:46 AM
Because of it's close proximity to the coast, Princeton is packed with hunters who don't want to travel any further and so, to make a long story short, if you want to hunt in an area that doesn't require a traffic cop at every intersection of the logging roads, go further north or west like most of the Princetonites. This place is a gong show during the season.
Also, no matter where you go in BC, I swear the critters must have a set of regs. The day before opening day you're tripping over the animals and the day of the opening they're nowhere to be found. Guess that's why they call it "Hunting" instead of "shooting".

Heffernan89
09-29-2014, 08:24 PM
I am more focus on w/t at the moment, and maybe sitting longer would help. may be a stupid question but are you guys calling at all this early in the season or just watching?

Sofa King
09-29-2014, 08:31 PM
use the stand.
I've found several around Kelowna, never once saw anyone in or even near them.

Liveforthehunt
09-29-2014, 08:32 PM
No calling for awhile yet another month and a half for whiteys ish muleys I have seen in second rut chaceing does as late as dec 10th