PDA

View Full Version : Help a girl out?

Steelie
09-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Hey everybody,

I’m currently living in Ontario but am moving to BC (Abbotsford area) in a couple weeks. I’ve been looking to getting into hunting for a while now, having tagged along with friends on hunts and what not. But considering I will be in BC, I won’t have my friends to show me the ropes. I’m starting from scratch, no licenses or anything right now! I have a general idea of what I have to do but if anyone would like to give me a complete list of everything (courses, licenses, etc) I will need out there to get started it would be great! And of course, anyone willing to help me out down the road with my shooting, first hunts, etc. would be much appreciated!

GotaGun
09-27-2014, 01:21 PM
You will need your PAL & Core.
Most local gun shops have info on the closest place etc.
Local gun shop in Maple Ridge - Wanstalls does it , they alternate months .( one month pal next month core etc)

Welcome to BC.

421fighter
09-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Hello, and welcome to B C. If you type in "Hunting Regulations, B C" on your search engine, you will get all the information right from the proper place, not some one's guess work. Unless you have the "C O R E course under your belt, and it is transferrable ( I don't know) then get a hunters number, you won't be able to hunt on your own.

Gateholio
09-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Abbotsford Fish & Game is a good club to join

Steelie
09-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Thanks! Do you know if Hub Sports is any good for the courses?

mikeboehm
09-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Bcwf puts on a new hunter bootcamp once a year. Contact fowlanguage on here

mechdude
09-27-2014, 01:59 PM
when you get out here any fish and game club that is affiliated with BC wild Life Federation is a good place to start .
most communities have A local and you will meet people there that will be more than willing to teach you how to shoot and most clubs will also offer programs like the CORE and Firearms. You will need both to purchase a fire arm and bullets and to get your hunter number.
It is great that women and girls want to get into the sport .I have two daughters and my oldest is starting to hunt and really enjoying it.

Steelie
09-27-2014, 02:13 PM
I saw that. They held one in Abbotsford the other weekend so I just missed it unfortunately!

mechdude
09-27-2014, 03:00 PM
there will always be another one
cheers and happy hunting

Elkaddict
09-27-2014, 03:13 PM
Welcome, as mentioned above check out the BCWF and maybe set your sights on attending BOW next year. I would imagine it would be the perfect place for you to meet peers and mentors and begin your journey. http://bcwf.net/index.php/programs/bow

Steelie
09-27-2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks! That looks awesome for me, I'll for sure be looking into it for next year!

Foxton Gundogs
09-27-2014, 06:38 PM
I saw that. They held one in Abbotsford the other weekend so I just missed it unfortunately!

We will be doing it again next year. Contact the BCWF for info on it, CORE etc.
http://www.bcwf.bc.ca/
You need to be here 6 mos. for a B.C. License so this will be prep time for you and you can be on board for next year.
I have instructed at the Boot Camp since it was introduced and I can tell you the feedback from the participants is 100% positive you will learn a lot and meet some great people.
Welcome

gutpile
09-27-2014, 09:33 PM
Why move to that ugly town ?

wideopenthrottle
05-15-2015, 08:43 AM
reminds me of that joke about a personal add
http://www.amazon.com/FUNNY-WANTED-WOMAN-Please-Picture/dp/B00FC7O214
good luck and happy hunting (in the near future)
wide

Ed George
05-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Welcome, there are 3 BCWF affiliated clubs in reasonably close proximity to Abbotsford. Ridgedale Rod and Gun is on the east end of Harris Road, Abbotsford Rod and Gun is on Lakemount and Mission and District Rod and Gun is in Mission on Dewdney Trunk. Also, the BCWF has another BOW program coming up in 2 weeks, June 6 & 7 at a camp up Indian Arm and there is still space available. Contact Kerry Smith at the BCWF office for further information, 604-882-9988 ext. 300. As for the CORE or PAL, HUB Sports in Abbotsford also runs both courses on a regular basis. If you took the hunter training course elsewhere it is transferable to BC, also ask Kerry.

In September, the BCWF Region 2 hold a new hunters boot camp and as previously mentioned contact fowl language here.

Good luck,
JPS

Siwash Sports
08-08-2015, 09:53 PM
We run the courses once a month in Chilliwack we are a 20 min drive east on highway 1 from Abbotsford call me when your ready 604 402 GUNS. I will help you out with advice and outfitting. Tyler