PDA

View Full Version : ATV ignorance

Essential
09-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find a straightforward answer. What are the CURRENT regulations on using an ATV on FSRs? Do you need insurance? Do you need to register the atv? Again sorry if this is a repeat ?

r106
09-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find a straightforward answer. What are the CURRENT regulations on using an ATV on FSRs? Do you need insurance? Do you need to register the atv? Again sorry if this is a repeat ?

On a FSR - Yes, %100 you need liability insurance. Not sure about the registration yet. You will need to do it, just not sure if it's been implemented yet

Essential
09-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Thanks r106! Any idea about my 13yr old son on his quad?

r106
09-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks r106! Any idea about my 13yr old son on his quad?

No go on that. Must be 16 years old or older to operate an ATV

Sleep Robber
09-27-2014, 12:55 PM
Pretty sure if you plead ignorance you'll get away with any of the new requirements, for now anyways as there's always quite a bit of leniency when new laws come out and this one is not one that most would even know of.

r106
09-27-2014, 01:00 PM
Pretty sure if you plead ignorance you'll get away with any of the new requirements, for now anyways as there's always quite a bit of leniency when new laws come out and this one is not one that most would even know of.

I tend to agree. But the insurance would be hard to plead ignorance too as they have been enforcing it for a couple years. From my understanding they had a lot of leniency when that came in

kilometers
09-27-2014, 01:06 PM
I herd November this year all atv must be plated.

mechdude
09-27-2014, 02:14 PM
yes you need insurance .If you are a member of the BCWF you are insured. must carry your card for proof of.
The authorities are enforcing this .A friend was stopped in 100 mile house area .his quad was taken away and he had to go into town to pay the fine and get it back.
as for registration not yet required.
Happy trails and enjoy

ROY-alty33
09-27-2014, 02:29 PM
So none of the new regulations have come in yet? Still no need for registration or more importantly helmets?
Someone told my buddy that the helmet law has been implemented already and has been wearing one all season (until I shame him into taking it off) , I have been rolling the dice? Hard to plead ignorance when we are out together.

IMHO hunting and helmets don't mix.

mechdude
09-27-2014, 02:58 PM
no hunting and helmets don't mix but they do keep your ears warm.
cheers

john.b
09-27-2014, 03:47 PM
I think the helmet thing is just ridiculous. It should be the operator's decision (if over the age of 18 )

r106
09-27-2014, 04:42 PM
I think the helmet thing is just ridiculous. It should be the operator's decision (if over the age of 18 )

I agree...

Essential
09-27-2014, 05:57 PM
Ok I've renewed my BCWF membership, now the decision on what to do with my son riding his quad.

goatdancer
09-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Does the BCWF insurance require you to wear a helmet while driving on an FSR? A lot of private insurers do.

john.b
09-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Does the BCWF insurance require you to wear a helmet while driving on an FSR? A lot of private insurers do.

Apparently the new regs coming out later this year make it mandatory.

Doostien
09-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Yeah the new rules are Law right now. However, the framework for licensing isn't in place yet, and they don't have any enforcement plans in as of yet. I've been told they're holding off until the ORV/Hunting seasons are over. Likely meaning next spring will be the first time we have to plate our machines.

Kami
09-27-2014, 07:42 PM
Quads go places that cop cars and 4x4's don't. Yes CO's may be out there on quads though. Just unload somewhere off a main road and stay off the FSRs. Animals have learned to stay off, nor within sight of FSRs, so that leads me to believe that if you are hunting, you want to be where the game are. No problem. Breaking the law? Yes I suppose so, but they force us to become criminals. You are breaking the law not wearing your seatbelt on the FSR too. My son and I have quaded for years. Today he's still only 15. Never had an incident yet. We have our BCWF insurance and stay off FSRs. Put me in jail and throw away the key I guess.

Pioneerman
09-27-2014, 07:43 PM
It has been law to have the liability since 1998 on FSR and most insurance policies state you need to be wearing a helmet when riding, but not sure if BCWF says that

SPEYMAN
09-27-2014, 07:51 PM
To operate an ATV on a FSR you must have a valid drivers license and have minimum $200,000.00 liability insurance.

BCWF insurance is only valid when activly hunting or fishing when operating an ATV on a FSR. It is not valid when recreationaly riding.

Helmets will be mandatory when operating an ATV.

Insurance is invalid if not wearing a helmet.

It has been reported that Liability Insurance will be require to operate an ATV anywhere but private land with permission. If someone allows a person to ride on their land without a helmet, who get sued if there is an accident?

Some Insurance Co. will insure operators,ATVs used by underage or unlicensed operators.

Contact your local ICBC, Insurance agent for further information.

john.b
09-27-2014, 07:58 PM
I dont understand why insurance would be invalid without a helmet?? I could see not being insured for injury but to completely invalidate your insurance seems like b.s.. i was looking to buy my first a tv soon but with all of this nonsense i certainly wont be.

goatdancer
09-27-2014, 08:07 PM
I dont understand why insurance would be invalid without a helmet?? I could see not being insured for injury but to completely invalidate your insurance seems like b.s.. i was looking to buy my first a tv soon but with all of this nonsense i certainly wont be.

Considering that liability insurance only covers the other party, I too wonder about the helmet part. I guess you only have one noggin so the powers that be are trying to protect you from messing it up. Or they are concerned about the cost to our medical system for repairs to said noggin. I've worn a helmet on FSRs for a long time and don't find it to be a detriment to hunting.

Sofa King
09-27-2014, 08:11 PM
Considering that liability insurance only covers the other party, I too wonder about the helmet part. I guess you only have one noggin so the powers that be are trying to protect you from messing it up. Or they are concerned about the cost to our medical system for repairs to said noggin. I've worn a helmet on FSRs for a long time and don't find it to be a detriment to hunting.

I use the FSRs to "get" to my hunting areas, I don't "hunt" the FSRs.
I can understand pleasure riders who are out ripping around and hill-climbing and jumping shit should wear a helmet.
but a hunter putting around some backtrails trying to be quiet and spot game? silly.

john.b
09-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Understood but it is my noggin to mess up and the medical bills are a separate issue.. i already pay for health insurance which also covers stupidity. I am just so tired of safety being shoved down my throat and these arbitrary rules that are made by a bunch of weiners sitting in a board room.

Sofa King
09-27-2014, 08:15 PM
Understood but it is my noggin to mess up and the medical bills are a separate issue.. i already pay for health insurance which also covers stupidity. I am just so tired of safety being shoved down my throat and these arbitrary rules that are made by a bunch of weiners sitting in a board room.

they aren't concerned about our safety one bit.
they apply these rules so they have more fines to possibly hand out.
more rules means more fines means more $$.

john.b
09-27-2014, 08:39 PM
they aren't concerned about our safety one bit.
they apply these rules so they have more fines to possibly hand out.
more rules means more fines means more $$.

Fair enough

Sofa King
09-27-2014, 08:55 PM
bc loves implementing rules and regulations.
great $$ generators.

it's like the police being pissed at dot for dropping the snowflake rule.
why would the police be upset, it's none of their business.
their job is to enforce the existing laws, not make them.
they were pissed off though because of the fine $$ that they lost.
similar to them being pissed at the coq speed limits being increased to 120.
they have no business being emotional about the laws, their job is to enforce the laws that exist.

but I don't know how the atv rules will play out.
who's enforcing them?
our under-funded co's?
and what has brought in the new laws? the registering and liability?
how many incidents have there been that have made it an issue?
someone dying because of reckless riding wouldn't have lived if their quad was registered.

SPEYMAN
09-27-2014, 08:57 PM
The insurance co. says no coverage if no helmet. Suggest you take that issue up with them. Do you wear a seat belt when operating a motor vehicle? Will be the same when the law becomes into being. At present there is no legal requirement to wear a helmet, but most experienced riders do. Ever wonder why?

Would you let you children or grandchildren ride without a helmet? As adults we need to set an example.

Why can't you ride around with a loaded firearm? We can't legislate against stupidity, but we will continue to try and educate.

Sofa King
09-27-2014, 09:04 PM
The insurance co. says no coverage if no helmet. Suggest you take that issue up with them. Do you wear a seat belt when operating a motor vehicle? Will be the same when the law becomes into being. At present there is no legal requirement to wear a helmet, but most experienced riders do. Ever wonder why?

Would you let you children or grandchildren ride without a helmet? As adults we need to set an example.

Why can't you ride around with a loaded firearm? We can't legislate against stupidity, but we will continue to try and educate.

I've never yet seen a hunter on a quad wearing a helmet.
and I'm sure most of them are experienced riders.
it'll be interesting to see what happens once the new laws are set.
I can't remember the last time I've seen a CO out on the backroads.
pretty hard to enforce when they aren't out there.

Sofa King
09-27-2014, 09:08 PM
what would they do if you ran from them?
no way could they catch you.
and if you have no plate, no way they can id it was you.

I don't totally disagree with the new laws.
there's many fools out there recklessly ripping around.
and usually it's them that brings new rules about.
it's just unfortunate that the hunters, who are usually just putting around in totally remote areas get affected by them.
but them's the brakes.
one rule for all is how it should be.

j270wsm
09-27-2014, 09:12 PM
great $$ generators.

when did the DOT drop the snowflake rule???? Pretty sure I seen a bunch of new sings the other day that say you must have the snowflake or M+S.

john.b
09-27-2014, 09:12 PM

I wear a seatbelt because it s the law... do i think seatbelts save lives... yes... do i think it should be personal choice... yes
also, if you are in a collision and you are not wearing your seatbelt your insurance does not become void. Children are a different situation all together. They should have to wear helmets etc. As they are not at an ae where they can make an educated decision for themselves whether or not to do so. You are right, you can't legislate against stupid but you can force people to live in a nanny state.

Good2bCanadian
09-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Just happens my turban is made of merino and is camoflauged. Debate over.

john.b
09-27-2014, 09:15 PM
I have no issue with laws that protect the public such as drinking and driving but a helmet only affects me and it should be my choice.

Sofa King
09-27-2014, 09:17 PM
even seatbelts though, they make these laws "assuming" you will crash.
that's ridiculous.
and last year, while they were enforcing the snowflake thingy, if you crashed and didn't have winter tires on, your insurance was null and void.
make that a rule with seatbelts.
it should still be a choice.
again, one rule for all.
taxi drivers don't have to wear seatbelts, nor passengers on buses.
that's bullshit.

mikeman20
09-27-2014, 11:57 PM
Just happens my turban is made of merino and is camoflauged. Debate over.

My turban is camo too! What a coincidence

Singleshotneeded
09-28-2014, 01:23 AM

Liability insurance...

goatdancer
09-28-2014, 09:04 AM

The amount you pay for health insurance is minuscule compared to the cost of care for a serious brain injury. But I guess there are a lot of people who think shit only happens to " the other guy " .

Ozone
09-28-2014, 09:21 AM
I have no issue with laws that protect the public such as drinking and driving but a helmet only affects me and it should be my choice.
You should ask your family members how it may affect them before you speak. Feeding you through a straw may change there plans also.

john.b
09-28-2014, 09:23 AM
The amount you pay for health insurance is minuscule compared to the cost of care for a serious brain injury. But I guess there are a lot of people who think shit only happens to " the other guy " .

I don't think that bad stuff always happens to "the other guy" i just think that it should be my right to choose if i wear a helmet. I would be interested to see the statistics on how helmets have helped over the past 20 years

Good2bCanadian
09-28-2014, 09:36 AM
I love the sky is falling comments.

Feeding thru a straw because one chooses to hunt on there quad without a helmet?

You could apply that same mentality to all aspects of life.

New Bow Hunter
09-28-2014, 09:37 AM
They have come right into our campsite and requested to see a copy of the liability insurance.
$150.00 "No helmet"
$300.00 if caught by Forestry with no insurance
$500.00 if caught by RCMP with no insurance, and yes we have seen RCMP on FSR's.
I believe you can pay to ICBC:
$100.00 for $100,000.00 liability
$125.00 for $1,000,000.00 liability
$160.00 for $2,000,000.00 liability

I went with the $2,000,000.00 liability, as I figured that would get me a tank of fuel, a flat of beer and a decent lawyer.

You also have to register up to three operators of the ATV.

slowkey
09-28-2014, 09:40 AM
great $$ generators.

why would the police be upset, it's none of their business.
their job is to enforce the existing laws, not make them.
they were pissed off though because of the fine $$ that they lost.
similar to them being pissed at the coq speed limits being increased to 120.
they have no business being emotional about the laws, their job is to enforce the laws that exist.

The reason the police get pissed off (also ambulance/search rescue/ highway workers) is that we have to scrape you and your selfish decision off of the road.

As for the atv rule changes it is again because of peoples selfish actions (granted mostly summer joyiders). Every year I hear several stories from SAR about pulling out a serious injured or dead atv rider. Do I want to register my quad? wear a helmet? fack no!!!!!! but this new legislation was a train wreck that everyone could see coming for miles

Also BC is the last place in North America to implement tougher atv rules

Good2bCanadian
09-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Where was this campsite?

john.b
09-28-2014, 09:41 AM
I love the sky is falling comments.

Feeding thru a straw because one chooses to hunt on there quad without a helmet?

You could apply that same mentality to all aspects of life.
Unfortunately its people like that that have the loudest voices and as such we all live in a nanny state

Good2bCanadian
09-28-2014, 09:43 AM
I'd bet to say.

Most quad accidents are

rookies
drunks

stinkyduck
09-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Ok I've renewed my BCWF membership, now the decision on what to do with my son riding his quad

Dont forget your BCWF membership is only valid from date of renewal till the end of the year! thats why i let mine expire, and i will renew early in January! The license thing, accordding to the DOT is about pulling somebody over, and being able to assure that quad belongs to you! not some scumbag that just stole it! kind of like the snowmobile plates! however the snowmobile plate registry is on a roll a deck, on somebodies desk in Victoria! which Ive been told is a pain in the ass to get info out of! they need to come in the the 20 th century for technology! BC snowmobile association has alot to do with this! i believe you can get family insurance thru them as well.Also the plate number will also help identify the dick heads tearing up the land in the bush! RAPP!!!!!

Mikey Rafiki
09-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Dont forget your BCWF membership is only valid from date of renewal till the end of the year! thats why i let mine expire, and i will renew early in January!

Not true. You can print a new insurance policy statement in January that will be valid for that year as long as your membership is. This was confirmed on a thread in the BCWF subforum and I did it myself this year.

coyotebc
09-28-2014, 11:53 AM

I went with the $2,000,000.00 liability, as I figured that would get me a tank of fuel, a flat of beer and a decent lawyer.

where did you find those rates?

slowkey
09-28-2014, 12:34 PM
I'd bet to say.

Most quad accidents are

rookies
drunks

Yes most incidents start with "the rider was drunk"

Good2bCanadian
09-28-2014, 12:38 PM
I've used Capri insurance for 3 years now. Easy online purchase and printed off my own copy.
$125

https://secure.capri.ca/atv/clubsignup/?vt_id=2

I chose to do this vs my BCWF because my son and I will go recreational riding a few times a year on my 2up.

7mm
09-28-2014, 01:50 PM
How about a turbin. Maybe hbc could sell a wool turbin? The. We could get away with not wearing a helmet

Sofa King
09-28-2014, 01:57 PM
They have come right into our campsite and requested to see a copy of the liability insurance.
$150.00 "No helmet"
$300.00 if caught by Forestry with no insurance
$500.00 if caught by RCMP with no insurance, and yes we have seen RCMP on FSR's.

They Can request to see your balls, you dont have to.
They had no business asking that if you werent operating your bike.
I woulda told them to get the F outta my campsite.

Sofa King
09-28-2014, 02:05 PM
The reason the police get pissed off (also ambulance/search rescue/ highway workers) is that we have to scrape you and your selfish decision off of the road.

As for the atv rule changes it is again because of peoples selfish actions (granted mostly summer joyiders). Every year I hear several stories from SAR about pulling out a serious injured or dead atv rider. Do I want to register my quad? wear a helmet? fack no!!!!!! but this new legislation was a train wreck that everyone could see coming for miles

"My" selfish decision?
I wear a seatbelt.
I follow the laws.
I was just saying that wé should have a choice.

What about a bus accident that kills a bunch of passengers?
Thats fine because its the law?

Gun Dog
09-28-2014, 03:12 PM
That's not what I paid. ICBC lets you buy by the day (about $1/day) with a $30 minimum. Handy if you're borrowing a quad for a trip. A full year was around $400. I don't remember how much liability but it was more than the required $200,000.

Two questions that almost nobody asks is "how many claims and how much?" The answer last year was 2 claims (ever) and the larger claim was $5,000.

Iron Glove
09-28-2014, 03:24 PM
That's not what I paid. ICBC lets you buy by the day (about $1/day) with a $30 minimum. Handy if you're borrowing a quad for a trip. A full year was around $400. I don't remember how much liability but it was more than the required $200,000.

Two questions that almost nobody asks is "how many claims and how much?" The answer last year was 2 claims (ever) and the larger claim was $5,000.

If you are borrowing someone else's ATV, check your Homeowner's Policy, many cover your liability ( but not physical damage to the ATV or the owner's liability ) as an unowned operator of a borrowed ATV.
You would have to carry your HO Policy as proof.
They probably don't ask about claims as you are getting liability coverage not physical damage and most claims are for damage.

Sofa King
09-28-2014, 03:39 PM
A buck a day, thirty dollar minimum.
Is that full coverage though.

j270wsm
09-28-2014, 03:57 PM
When I looked into liability insurance last year I asked about insuring multiple people and how that worked. My insurance broker told me " when getting liability insurance you were actually insuring the quad/side by side and anyone who has a valid drivers licence is covered". Does anyone know if this is correct?

Iron Glove
09-28-2014, 04:23 PM
When I looked into liability insurance last year I asked about insuring multiple people and how that worked. My insurance broker told me " when getting liability insurance you were actually insuring the quad/side by side and anyone who has a valid drivers licence is covered". Does anyone know if this is correct?

Depends on who the Insurer is and what their policy says.
Some are owner specific, some are "vehicle" specific.
Ask the Broker and read your wordings.

Sofa King
09-28-2014, 07:50 PM

no they aren't.
check the Yukon, and i'm sure there are others.
shit, you are allowed to operate your atv in the city of Whitehorse.
and rightfully so.
if the police and city workers in Kelowna, and orchardists/sprayers can licence atvs for road-use, why the hell can't the public?

john.b
09-28-2014, 07:54 PM
This is true. In Whitehorse they have dedicated atv trails (paved) that go all through town
no they aren't.
check the Yukon, and i'm sure there are others.
shit, you are allowed to operate your atv in the city of Whitehorse.
and rightfully so.
if the police and city workers in Kelowna, and orchardists/sprayers can licence atvs for road-use, why the hell can't the public?

Ambush
09-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Driving through Montana, I had an ATV just whale off a ramp, right out onto the highway through the city and just go flat out. No helmet either. I figured he was some sorta rebel or maybe drunk. Then I noticed more of them, guys coming home from work and such. These machines didn't look any more equipped for road use then mine. I did see one guy with mirrors on a bar that was taped to his front rack.

Of course, if he gets squished by a truck then he has the American health care system to deal with.

But then, I also saw folks in line at fast food places with revolvers on their hips. They didn't get much notice either.

NickS
09-29-2014, 08:07 PM
Basic liability was only about 100 bucks annually I think on my quad.

ROY-alty33
09-29-2014, 09:33 PM
w w w .leg.bc.ca/40th2nd/1st_read/gov13-1.htm

So it appears that this whole bill (Registration, Helmets, etc) has only passed first reading therefore is not a law yet. Which should mean we are still governed under Motor Vehicle (All terrain) Act which says no helmets on 4 wheel vehicles. Issurance on FSR is required but the rest nope. Can anyone confirm or deny.
How are people getting fined if the law isn't enacted yet?

Sofa King
09-29-2014, 09:42 PM
w w w .leg.bc.ca/40th2nd/1st_read/gov13-1.htm

So it appears that this whole bill (Registration, Helmets, etc) has only passed first reading therefore is not a law yet. Which should mean we are still governed under Motor Vehicle (All terrain) Act which says no helmets on 4 wheel vehicles. Issurance on FSR is required but the rest nope. Can anyone confirm or deny.
How are people getting fined if the law isn't enacted yet?

cops can ticket a person for literally anything.
doesn't mean it will hold up in court if challenged, but they can write as many tickets as their heart desires.
after all, it's their word against yours.

ROY-alty33
09-29-2014, 09:58 PM
Yes but ticket should have act and section violated and fine amount. If no act no defined fine?
ETA\ lots of rumours and it happened to a friend of a friend of mine, I just want to know is it law yet or not. From the great googler it appears not. M.V atv act was valid as of Sept 10 and government is not sitting, so it should still be valid.

Sofa King
09-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Yes but ticket should have act and section violated and fine amount. If no act no defined fine?
ETA\ lots of rumours and it happened to a friend of a friend of mine, I just want to know is it law yet or not. From the great googler it appears not. M.V atv act was valid as of Sept 10 and government is not sitting, so it should still be valid.

sure they can.
my bro got pulled over and written because the cop said he was leaking fuel out his exhaust.
and he said that his exhaust is clearly faulty because you could see emissions pouring out of them.
this was in the dead of winter, about two minutes after he pulled out of the driveway.
and his truck is freaking top-notch with everything.
the cop didn't want to hear any of it and told him he had a week or so to get it fixed and come to the station to show them.
the guy was clueless, but more than eager to write up bogus tickets.

Xenomorph
09-29-2014, 11:22 PM
sure they can.
my bro got pulled over and written because the cop said he was leaking fuel out his exhaust.
and he said that his exhaust is clearly faulty because you could see emissions pouring out of them.
this was in the dead of winter, about two minutes after he pulled out of the driveway.
and his truck is freaking top-notch with everything.
the cop didn't want to hear any of it and told him he had a week or so to get it fixed and come to the station to show them.
the guy was clueless, but more than eager to write up bogus tickets.

In a state of law like Canada that is called abuse of power.

<<Abuse of powerThe act (http://m.businessdictionary.com/definition/act.html) of using (http://m.businessdictionary.com/definition/user.html) one’s position (http://m.businessdictionary.com/definition/position.html) of power (http://m.businessdictionary.com/definition/power.html) in an abusive way. This can take many forms (http://m.businessdictionary.com/definition/form.html), such as taking advantage (http://m.businessdictionary.com/definition/advantage.html) of someone, gaining access (http://m.businessdictionary.com/definition/access.html) to information (http://m.businessdictionary.com/definition/information.html)that shouldn’t be accessible to the public, or just manipulating someone with the ability (http://m.businessdictionary.com/definition/ability.html) to punish them if they don’t comply.>>

If that guy is just issuing bogus fines like that you can
1. Challenge the tickey
2. Do the mechanic inspection, place and add and get together with other motorists that had had issued to them same sort of abusive tickets and teach that officer and department what "protecting and serving" the people really means.

Cops unfortunately bank on the people being clueless or too busy to challenge their BS. Smile pretty, get the ticket and tear them a new one.

Sofa King
09-29-2014, 11:30 PM
yeah, that was my point.
they abuse their power all the time.
they can do what they want, because when it comes down to it, it's your word against theirs.
of course one can challenge the ticket, do the inspection, etc, but that doesn't stop them from doing the bogus stuff to begin with.

say a cop just wants to be a dick, pulls you over and writes you up for speeding, when you clearly weren't.
how are you going to prove you weren't?
you can't.
it's your word against theirs, and the judge is going to believe them.
it's not fair, but it's the way it is.

j270wsm
09-30-2014, 07:06 AM
When pulled over for speeding, you have the right to request to see the actual radar reading. If you ask and they refuse then you should win in court.

quaint bucket
09-30-2014, 09:33 AM
You still have to go to court which means time out of your day.

Good2bCanadian
09-30-2014, 10:20 AM
When pulled over for speeding, you have the right to request to see the actual radar reading. If you ask and they refuse then you should win in court.

I passed a cop that was outside his vehicle giving another driver a ticket. 2 min later, in my rear view, I seen lights and I was pulled over.
The cop said I was speeding. I said I didn't think so. I asked to see the radar, and he said he gauged me speeding.

I went to court, the cop showed up, the judge said they are trained in gauging speeders and the fine held.

Probably didn't help I was a 20yr old kid.

What a waste of a day.

Fisher-Dude
09-30-2014, 11:55 AM
what would they do if you ran from them?
no way could they catch you.
and if you have no plate, no way they can id it was you.

I don't totally disagree with the new laws.
there's many fools out there recklessly ripping around.
and usually it's them that brings new rules about.
it's just unfortunate that the hunters, who are usually just putting around in totally remote areas get affected by them.
but them's the brakes.
one rule for all is how it should be.

Flight from police? Criminal Code offence that gives you a criminal record? I think it's wise to stop and get a $200 fine instead of a criminal record but what do I know?

Fisher-Dude
09-30-2014, 11:58 AM
As to the helmet requirement I do believe the BCWF insurance is invalid without a helmet.

Sofa King
09-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Flight from police? Criminal Code offence that gives you a criminal record? I think it's wise to stop and get a $200 fine instead of a criminal record but what do I know?
i was referring to the co's.
there isnt any cops in the bush, at least not in the interior. at best, they will ocassionally be seen with the co at a roadside check. hell, the co in my area almost never leaves his house. i was speaking very in general about if someone ran from them. was thinking more of a dirtbike not a hunter, theyd never have a chance at catching him.

Sofa King
09-30-2014, 12:50 PM
As to the helmet requirement I do believe the BCWF insurance is invalid without a helmet.
but is the helmet law even in effect yet?

Fisher-Dude
09-30-2014, 01:01 PM
i was referring to the co's.
there isnt any cops in the bush, at least not in the interior. at best, they will ocassionally be seen with the co at a roadside check. hell, the co in my area almost never leaves his house. i was speaking very in general about if someone ran from them. was thinking more of a dirtbike not a hunter, theyd never have a chance at catching him.

COs are Peace Officers. It's the same as running from a cop under the CCC.

249.1. Flight

249.1 (1) Every one commits an offence who, operating a motor vehicle while being pursued by a peace officer operating a motor vehicle, fails, without reasonable excuse and in order to evade the peace officer, to stop the vehicle as soon as is reasonable in the circumstances.

Punishment

(2) Every one who commits an offence under subsection (1)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Fisher-Dude
09-30-2014, 01:08 PM
but is the helmet law even in effect yet?

No, but the insurance law is. If your insurance is void with no helmet, you're breaking the insurance law, right?

john.b
09-30-2014, 02:08 PM
How does no helmet void your insurance... i seriously dont get it. That's like saying if you dont wear your seatbelt your insurance is void... busy logic, if you were not wearing your seatbelt and you rear ended someone you would not be covered. This makes no sence to me

Iron Glove
09-30-2014, 02:09 PM
No, but the insurance law is. If your insurance is void with no helmet, you're breaking the insurance law, right?

Interesting point.
Some ATV liability policies have the helmet warranty, some don't. One Company agreed, when I asked, if there was an accident, would the breach of that warranty have to be causative, i.e. if he had had a helmet on would it have made any difference? If the non wearing of the helmet was not causative then coverage would still be in force.
Liability policies don't cover any injury to the ATV owner in any event so other than injuries to a passenger, why have the warranty?
Now if you have an ATV policy that covers medical payments, loss of income, etc., then the helmet warranty might be valid.
So, guess the CO or Police Officer will have to ask for a complete copy of your policy ( who carries that around ?? ) and be trained in deciphering Insurancese.
Hmm, maybe there's a job for me in my semi-retirement. :mrgreen:

Ozone
09-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Its pretty simple really. You want the insurance, you follow the rules set down by the insurance company. You don't follow there rules and they get to keep your money and not pay out.

howa1500
09-30-2014, 02:41 PM
yeah, that was my point.
they abuse their power all the time.
they can do what they want, because when it comes down to it, it's your word against theirs.
of course one can challenge the ticket, do the inspection, etc, but that doesn't stop them from doing the bogus stuff to begin with.

say a cop just wants to be a dick, pulls you over and writes you up for speeding, when you clearly weren't.
how are you going to prove you weren't?
you can't.
it's your word against theirs, and the judge is going to believe them.
it's not fair, but it's the way it is.

Bah.... You just have to know how to ask the right questions of the cop. Its not the cops fault if you don't educate yourself in court room procedure.

For example, the cop says he was gauging your speed.
How was it gauged?
Was x calibrated?
Did you verify the time/distance?
What other means did you use to verify?
Where are your notes to prove all the above?
That's of course if you haven't already tripped them up about identity....
If you're going to fight it, take the time and learn HOW to fight it, mere showing up does not constitute a fight, nor is the argument "but I wasn't"....

Doostien
09-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Its pretty simple really. You want the insurance, you follow the rules set down by the insurance company. You don't follow there rules and they get to keep your money and not pay out.

Yep, insurance has nothing to do with peace officers or the government. Its a contract between two private parties. Each agree to terms and if one or the other violates those terms they can get out of their responsibilities as per the agreement, or seek damages from the other party.