PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Stoves

Radar
03-13-2007, 05:28 AM
After seeing the line of diesel stoves offered by Delux Wall Tents at the recent outdoors show in Abbotsford, my hunting buddies and I are tempted to get one. We are wondering if anyone has one, has any experience with them or just a general opinion based on first hand knowledge.

From what we have read they are a real alternative to a wood stove with some advantages.

In case you are not sure what I am talking about I've posted the manufacturers link as well as Delux Wall Tents.

http://www.itrheat.com/non-powered-c.html

http://www.deluxewalltents.com/diesel_heaters.htm

Jagermeister
03-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Although these stoves are likely to provide great heat, from a hunting stand point, wood smoke premeating one's clothing is one thing, diesel fumes premeating one's clothing is another. I prefer a wood fire.

David Heitsman
03-15-2007, 08:26 PM
I picked up their brochure as well and they insist that there is no open flame and that their is no diesel odor. That being said, just riding in a diesel pick-up makes your clothes smell. So I am not sure about this
stove. The 1 gallon a night business sure sounds great tho now that I find I can't sleep all night without having to get up once. I hate stoking the stove, while everybody else is sound asleep!

30-06
03-15-2007, 09:40 PM
I picked up their brochure as well and they insist that there is no open flame and that their is no diesel odor. That being said, just riding in a diesel pick-up makes your clothes smell. So I am not sure about this
stove. The 1 gallon a night business sure sounds great tho now that I find I can't sleep all night without having to get up once. I hate stoking the stove, while everybody else is sound asleep!

iv never gotten the smell from a diesel pick-up and thats all we've ever owned

pork n beans
03-16-2007, 01:11 PM
i got a diesel stove in my boat. Dickinson Pacific is the one. They work good. just light it and it's like having a wood stove. The smell goes up the pipe and out so forget about it. Also about smell when you hunt for a bunch of days in the bush you get gas and food smells on you besides and even if you don't the critters can still smell you if the wind is the wrong anyway (Guys you don't think the critters can't smell all the crap from your rifle?) I think it would be a handy thing the diesel stove. safe too

farside
03-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Radar, Hubby uses a deisel stove on board the boat. The windows are almost always open but EVERYTHING still smells like that stove. Maybe the newer types don't have that problem though.

coyotebc
03-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Older stoves used to burn oil (diesel) as it was dripped into a flame. They were dirty smelly things.
This new one supposedly vapourizes the diesel so you get better combustion and less smell

BlacktailStalker
03-29-2007, 09:28 PM
I too was wondering about the stoves as I am looking to buy a stove soon. I keep ending up at the old school cast iron. fine by me.
Never got diesel oudor from being in my truck. When i hunt I hang my gear in a pine tree and spray it with scent blocker "earth" scent. I know it doesnt hide my scent but it at least makes it a natural scent, combined with the smell of pine. I woudl never wear my gear while cooking and eating! ??

Hunterguy
03-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Stoves, yah start the morning all camoed up, jump in the truck, obviously you have an air freshener, or jump on the quad and have that nice oil gassy smell as you start your day off. What ever keeps you warm? I myself love the smell of wood burning in the ole wall tent.

one-shot-wonder
03-30-2007, 08:43 AM
I picked up their brochure as well and they insist that there is no open flame and that their is no diesel odor. That being said, just riding in a diesel pick-up makes your clothes smell. So I am not sure about this stove.

I have never smelled diesel on my clothes and only once in the cab of my truck when I spilled some on my shoes :oops: ......

The 1 gallon a night business sure sounds great tho now that I find I can't sleep all night without having to get up once. I hate stoking the stove, while everybody else is sound asleep!

I hate it also, and am always the one doing it in hunting camp :mad: as GG saws logs (not the kind you can burn either) but you could never replace a wood stove in my opinion for heat and clothes drying plus the price of fuel for it is right!

Fisher-Dude
03-30-2007, 10:46 AM
I hate it also, and am always the one doing it in hunting camp :mad: as GG saws logs (not the kind you can burn either) but you could never replace a wood stove in my opinion for heat and clothes drying plus the price of fuel for it is right!

From what I've read, One Shit prefers cuddling to stay warm, so my guess is GG is just pretending to be asleep so he can defend himself if he feels any contact! :shock: :shock:

one-shot-wonder
03-30-2007, 12:27 PM
From what I've read, One Shit prefers cuddling to stay warm, so my guess is GG is just pretending to be asleep so he can defend himself if he feels any contact! :shock: :shock:

Cuddling is right, with a pretty little brunette, she hogs the cot a bit and before long finds herself on the floor.:lol:

Nope GG is definately sleeping he is exausted from trying to keep up with me in the timber, something you have yet to experience and by the sounds of your aging/decling frame will never happen.

How is cuddling the Polaris all day? You must find it comforting you never get off the thing, it's all about quality time is it? :biggrin:

Fisher-Dude
03-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Cuddling is right, with a pretty little brunette, she hogs the cot a bit and before long finds herself on the floor.:lol:

Nope GG is definately sleeping he is exausted from trying to keep up with me in the timber, something you have yet to experience and by the sounds of your aging/decling frame will never happen.

How is cuddling the Polaris all day? You must find it comforting you never get off the thing, it's all about quality time is it? :biggrin:

I'm wondering if that heated seat option the A/C sleds have could be retro-fitted on the quad? 8)

I never considered GG to be a pretty little brunette, but hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say... :rolleyes:

one-shot-wonder
04-01-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm wondering if that heated seat option the A/C sleds have could be retro-fitted on the quad? 8)

I never considered GG to be a pretty little brunette, but hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say... :rolleyes:

Great, with a heated asspad we have no hope in hell to get your ass of the quad.

That pretty little brunette Kaza is a great mate in the bush (see the pack dog thread) GG has no chance to cuddle with me as long as we have her around.

It's pretty sad when your guys' dogs are better looking then you are.......I guess that must make you a little insecure owning a wolfhound.:oops: :wink:

7mmag
04-02-2007, 01:54 AM
I worked in Nunavut as a camp manager for five years. We lived in wall tents with diesel stoves in all types of weather +25 to -45. A well tuned and ventalated diesel stove has no smell, is safe, and can be cheep to run. Get to know the settings on your carb, make sure you have it level when you set in up, and put a wind break on your chimny.

I know these things like the back of my hand.

Pm me if you need to know more.

canadamoose1
04-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Be okay for a short weekend hunt, but its a lot of extra fuel to back in a long way into nowhere for a 2 or 3 week hunt. Think I'll stick to my woodstove. It burns all nite long.