PDA

View Full Version : LNG and hunting

Sami
09-26-2014, 05:06 PM
Whoops, something I forgot to ask in my last post. With this supposed LNG boom on the horizon, how do you think it will influence hunting in BC? If 100,000 new fracking wells go in in Northern BC it will surely impact the hunting industry in the region... And what about the health of the animals? I touched on grizzlies in my last post because they are such a hot issue but think they are closely related to this too. If the pipelines and wells further divvy up their habitat I would think it would greatly increase population pressures. The government says they will take this into account with the hunting permit allocations but I'm not convinced. What do you think?

MichelD
09-26-2014, 05:27 PM
I don't know anyone who views hunting as an industry.

It's a hobby, a passion, a lifestyle choice, a chance to try for some organic meat, a sport for some and an obsession for others.

The GOABC says guide-outfitting is an industry and a handful of members here are guides in-season, but for the most part, and I welcome anyone to contradict me, no hunter I know views their personal hunting as an industry.

If you're asking if fracking will impact the guide outfitting industry, ask them.

Sporting goods sales is an industry and TV hunting shows are part of the entertainment industry.

Me and Fred going out on the long weekend deer hunting ain't an industry.

Quince
09-26-2014, 05:30 PM
Deer will explode when you shoot them from all the gas they ingest. JK

Thinking the animals will adapt eventually but probably not great for loss of habitat in general.

Sofa King
09-26-2014, 06:03 PM
it will definitely affect them, habitat-wise.
maybe it will push more of them south.

Ruffed
09-26-2014, 06:07 PM
Troll??????????

40incher
09-26-2014, 07:54 PM
The sky is not falling Sami ... time you went back to California and saved those poor sucks from imploding!

Goose
09-27-2014, 02:13 AM
By the line of questions in the OP's last two threads he/she sounds like a reporter looking to get info on a story?? Or try and get the "general consensus" of all hunters. Some pretty big, specific questions laid out for the first 2 posts on the site.....and didnt even start out with a joke. I feel used....

Darksith
09-27-2014, 07:52 AM
What makes you think lng is on the horizon? Dont tell me u r buyin what crispy and her fiberals are selling

Quince
09-27-2014, 09:11 AM
If youve work or live up north, LNG is already here, its just a question of how much of the enviroment companys are going to be allowed to destroy to get the gas out and to market. The unconventional gas plays hold the majority of gas and they arent easy to get at.

Sami
09-29-2014, 10:45 AM
haha! I think you're probably right

Sami
09-29-2014, 10:47 AM
Sorry, you're totally right. I was thinking more in lines of outfitters but I worded that poorly

Sami
09-29-2014, 10:49 AM
Sorry you feel used :( I don't think I'll post again cause I seem to be upsetting people with my questions but if i do ill be sure to start with a joke. I just graduated from uni and seem to be in school mode when asking questions

Sami
09-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Born and raised in BC thanks, though i do like the sunshine in california

Sami
09-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the answer. I think you're right, hopefully the animals will be able to adapt fairly easily

J_T
09-29-2014, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure it will be the LNG industry and its increase that will have an impact on hunting, as much as it will be Government not paying attention to the increased access that might be provided to ATV's.

Sami
09-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Nope, but i think I'm going to sign off anyways, this doesn't seem to be the right forum for asking questions about current events that are linked to hunting and angling

Sami
09-29-2014, 10:58 AM
I hadn't thought of that! All those new roads will certain increase accessibility.. good point for sure

Sofa King
09-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Nope, but i think I'm going to sign off anyways, this doesn't seem to be the right forum for asking questions about current events that are linked to hunting and angling

sorry about that sami.
this site is pretty full of farts who are paranoid and frightened by opposition.
if someone doesn't post pics of dead animals and blood on their hands, they try to chase them away.

Cordillera
09-29-2014, 11:54 AM
Lots of rumours out there about LNG. In the central part of the province the pipelines are pretty benign for most wildlife if the companies close access in the most sensitive areas. In the long term a pipeline is generally good moose habitat. Take a look at the current PNG pipeline to prince Rupert. a key issue appears to be risk to caribou and maybe grizzly. There are strategies to manage those impacts. Need to see if the EAO process requires those special practices or not.

257stew
09-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Power line and gas line right of ways are beneficial to wildlife, in my opinion. Caribou and grizzlies included.

Cheers 257Stew