PDA

View Full Version : International Hunters and Grizzlies

Sami
09-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Hi all,

New to this forum but long time outdoorsman in BC. I was reading about the amendments to the Wildlife Act today and was wondering if any of you have any insight into how these changes will influence the BC hunting industry. How do you guys feel about the number of international hunters we get here killing Canadian game and taking it out of the country? I heard a lot of Americans will are moving in on our grizzly hunt as these changes will really benefit them. I don't have any strong opinions on the matter but worry the bad press over the grizzly hunt is giving the rest of us hunters a bad reputation. Are most of you sustenance hunters?

DawsonCreedmoor
09-26-2014, 05:25 PM
Which amendments?

Sofa King
09-26-2014, 06:01 PM
I think a resident should be able to get drawn for an leh after 25 years of trying.
sucks that a rich guy can come in and buy his shit and a resident can't even get a mercy leh by the government ffs.

bandit
09-26-2014, 06:09 PM
Contrary to what the antis will tell you there are not that many "rich Americans" coming here and hunting our grizzlies. The antis actually bought up some of the guiding rights on the coast to stop that very thing. I don't have the figures to hand but from memory 80-90% of the grizzlies are shot by residents.

Might be a different story for goats and sheep but in a few cases they are on general open season so not such a big deal.

Gateholio
09-26-2014, 06:16 PM
Sami

How many grizzly bear hunts have you been on, and what rifle did you use?

When and where did these hunts take place?

180grainer
09-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Hi all,

New to this forum but long time outdoorsman in BC. I was reading about the amendments to the Wildlife Act today and was wondering if any of you have any insight into how these changes will influence the BC hunting industry. How do you guys feel about the number of international hunters we get here killing Canadian game and taking it out of the country? I heard a lot of Americans will are moving in on our grizzly hunt as these changes will really benefit them. I don't have any strong opinions on the matter but worry the bad press over the grizzly hunt is giving the rest of us hunters a bad reputation. Are most of you sustenance hunters?

There's something about your questioning that makes me think you're a shrill. Why would you ask if most of us are sustenance hunters? A quick look around the sight should answer that question. And can you point to where in the regulations these changes are located?

IronNoggin
09-26-2014, 07:02 PM
http://www.fly-fishing-discounters.com/images/fishing_casting_1_.gif

bridger
09-26-2014, 07:08 PM
There are no new amendments to the wildlife act will opengrizzky hunting upto nin residents.

caddisguy
09-26-2014, 07:11 PM
Interesting. There was an article in the province today about some bear conservation festival. It also touched on international hunters and tourism. It went on to say that it costs $180 for a license and another $180 for a bear, but didn't specify that is just for non-residents. Guessing they'd spit out their granola if it mentioned residents get the tag for $20.

Also never mentioned that black bears can be pretty tastey... funny they always leave that out but always mention trophy stuff. Not that it matters what ones motive is. Rug, food (illegal to waste meat from a blackbear) or both. Numbers are managed. There's only so much habitat for these bears. The more bears that aren't hunted, the more bears starve or end up causing problems, breaking into houses and cars... end up being put down.

Best to join a vegetarian forum and ask if they think of permanently destroying bear habitat--what actually affects population--for those veggies is more or less damaging that harvesting the excess population from an ecosystems carrying capacity :D

tater
09-26-2014, 07:14 PM
I have the sneaking suspicion that the OP uses patchouli as a cover scent while stalking the mighty tofutabeast of the GVRD.

Ozone
09-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Rug, food (illegal to waste meat from a blackbear) or both.

The law only states you must take the meat to your place of residents. What you do after that is up to the induviduall. You can drive it straight back to the bush and feed the critters if you want one its been home.

kgs
09-26-2014, 09:00 PM
adding sami to ignore list!!!!

Not interested in answering your questions!!!!

Go fishing somewhere else!!!

markomoose
09-26-2014, 09:48 PM
Interesting. There was an article in the province today about some bear conservation festival. It also touched on international hunters and tourism. It went on to say that it costs $180 for a license and another $180 for a bear, but didn't specify that is just for non-residents. Guessing they'd spit out their granola if it mentioned residents get the tag for $20.

Also never mentioned that black bears can be pretty tastey... funny they always leave that out but always mention trophy stuff. Not that it matters what ones motive is. Rug, food (illegal to waste meat from a blackbear) or both. Numbers are managed. There's only so much habitat for these bears. The more bears that aren't hunted, the more bears starve or end up causing problems, breaking into houses and cars... end up being put down.

Best to join a vegetarian forum and ask if they think of permanently destroying bear habitat--what actually affects population--for those veggies is more or less damaging that harvesting the excess population from an ecosystems carrying capacity :DLove to sneak into that festival with a huge package of bear burgers.FREE BURGERS!!

markomoose
09-26-2014, 09:50 PM
I have the sneaking suspicion that the OP uses patchouli as a cover scent while stalking the mighty tofutabeast of the GVRD.I'm thinking tater is on to something!

Sami
09-29-2014, 10:35 AM
Interesting, thanks!

Sami
09-29-2014, 10:36 AM
I haven't gone on any grizzly hunts actually. I focus on sustenance hunting and fishing mostly

Sami
09-29-2014, 10:42 AM
Sorry for the confusion, I was referring not specifically to amendments that influence bear hunting, but hunting territories in general. My understanding is that it was previously only residents that could purchase hunting territory certificates, but now it is open to non-residents and the terms have been extended to 25 years. I was just curious what impact this would have on other outfitters. And sorry for the stupid questions, just joined the forum, guess I should have read around a bit before asking. Thanks anyways for your reply!

chilcotin hillbilly
09-29-2014, 04:34 PM

Best to join a vegetarian forum and ask if they think of permanently destroying bear habitat--what actually affects population--for those veggies is more or less damaging that harvesting the excess population from an ecosystems carrying capacity :D

The $180 is for license and tag each if you are hunting black bear, Grizz is $1030 plus another $1000 royalty fee

chilcotin hillbilly
09-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Sorry for the confusion, I was referring not specifically to amendments that influence bear hunting, but hunting territories in general. My understanding is that it was previously only residents that could purchase hunting territory certificates, but now it is open to non-residents and the terms have been extended to 25 years. I was just curious what impact this would have on other outfitters. And sorry for the stupid questions, just joined the forum, guess I should have read around a bit before asking. Thanks anyways for your reply!

Not much has changed, there have been lots of certificates owned by people living outside of BC, the guide outfitter license must be held by a BC resident. 25 year certificates gives outfitters more stability in business.