PDA

View Full Version : First Moose

DMD
09-26-2014, 02:39 PM
Well I have been lurking on here for quite some time. Being a total hunting newbie I guess I haven't had much to contribute until now. I always enjoy reading peoples stories of their hunts and I now have a pretty good one to share.

I was lucky enough to get a local leh moose draw this year. However, work has been very busy and I hadn't been able to get out either scouting or hunting. Tuesday afternoon a good friend contacted me. He had seen a bull in my zone at around 3pm. He played around with it and it was super responsive to cow calls. The bull was across the river and even tried to swim across to the calls twice. I deaked out of work as soon as I got the news and we headed out. We called a bit in a cut block above where the bull was seen, but no response. We headed down to the river and low and behold the bull was still standing behind some bushes on the bank where it was earlier, only about 90 yards away. I got a rest and when in position my friend cow called. The bull immediately turned towards us. He started grunting an licking his lips. At this point he was facing head on. I was very nervous and wanted to wait for a broadside shot. The bull kept advancing, getting closer to the river and a much steeper bank. At this point my friend turned from cow call to yelling at the bull to try and get it to turn. He was having none of it and still approaching. It was now or never so I took aim and pulled the trigger. The bullet entered a bit high on the chest, took out part of the heart/lungs, liver and broke the bulls spine just in front of the pelvis. He lunged forward and crumpled up, however he made it far enough to unfortunately fall down the bank into the river. My heart sunk.

He landed in a large deep eddy. Once it was clear that the moose was dead, I put down my gun and ran up. My partner had already ran up, and at this point was tearing off his shirt. It appeared as though he was planning on jumping in. Before he could the moose disappeared underwater. I felt sick to my stomach. It resurfaced, however it was now in the main current and heading down river. I began running down after it. The bank turned from sandy to large riprap. Around 300m later the moose was about 3m from shore. I jumped in and grabbed onto the antlers. The water was about shoulder deep. I did my best to guide the moose over to shore and eventually got it wedged under a large boulder. The body was underwater with the head out.

The moose was more or less secured and we reconvened. I was so thankful that the moose did not get away from us. We were both very excited after the previous crazy events. After calming down we surveyed our situation. We had a LOT of work ahead of us. We tied the antlers off, head back to town for a come-along, rope, anchors etc. 6-7 hours later and 4am we had managed to get the moose out of the water and gutted. We left to return the next day with a boat, quartered him up and got him out. A huge effort! I always knew moose were huge but I guess you never really understand until you have to move one around.

Bull is in the butchers now and everything is cleaned and dealt with. I'm beat. A great experience and I'm very appreciative of all the help from some great friends.

adriaticum
09-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Congratulations, great story!
Any pictures?

bigneily
09-26-2014, 02:44 PM
What no pics ?. Congrats on the bull anyhow, Can I ask what region you were in ? Sounds like they are rutting where you are at.

09-26-2014, 02:54 PM
lol,,, no truer words said..... "I always knew moose were big, but not untill i had to move one did i understand how big!"

congrats,,,way to make a story outa the firsters!

DMD
09-26-2014, 02:59 PM
What no pics ?. Congrats on the bull anyhow, Can I ask what region you were in ? Sounds like they are rutting where you are at.

Southern part of region 6. My friend has the pictures. I'll see if he minds of I post one or two.

bigneily
09-26-2014, 03:06 PM
Perfect, Thanx I have a draw myself for 6-01 and am leaving on Tuesday , Hoping for some success myself.

Sofa King
09-26-2014, 03:07 PM
what a hunt.
lots of work.
hell, a normal moose hunt is lots of work, never mind what you went through.

dakoda62
09-26-2014, 03:10 PM
A first moose you will always remember.

Rusty
09-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks for sharing and congrats, great! story..
enjoy.

albravo2
09-26-2014, 03:43 PM
great story, good for you!

that will be extra tasty pepperoni and salami, that's for sure.

Grousedaddy
09-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Great story and congrats but you need his permission to post pictures of your moose??? Wow

Moe.JKU
09-26-2014, 04:02 PM
lol,,, no truer words said..... "I always knew moose were big, but not untill i had to move one did i understand how big!"

congrats,,,way to make a story outa the firsters!

Exactly what i thought last year. First animal on the ground for me and it was a haul to get a full moose in the back of the truck. (dont ask why we did it that way)

Congrats to the OP on the animal.

kennyj
09-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Great story! Moose are a lot of work even on flat dry ground. Looking forward to pics.
kenny

ratherbefishin
09-26-2014, 06:40 PM
And now all your friends will tell you how lucky you are to have all that 'free' meat....

Wentrot
09-26-2014, 06:48 PM
Great story and congrats but you need his permission to post pictures of your moose??? Wow

This....Post them, you deserve to brag lol

markomoose
09-26-2014, 07:17 PM
Congrats DMD!I saw a sig line on here recently that said " Moose are for people too lazy to hunt Elk" I beg to differ as I'm sure you would!!

tomahawk
09-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Right on! good on yah for the effort to retrieve your animal!! Get them pictures up for us all to enjoy!!

09-26-2014, 09:00 PM
Congrats on your bull! Having spent an all nighter pulling a bull from a lake a few years back I feel your pain!

kgs
09-26-2014, 09:04 PM
Yes congrats on first moose great story and one that will never get old retelling it. :)

kitnayakwa77
09-27-2014, 11:57 AM
That was an awesome experience but a ton of work. Thanks DMD, so glad we got him!!

kitnayakwa77
09-27-2014, 12:07 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC01439_2_800x563_.jpg

kitnayakwa77
09-27-2014, 12:12 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC01445_2_579x800_.jpg

Hope its ok I posted the pics.

IronNoggin
09-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Awesome! Excellent First Moose hunt, and serious Determination to collect your rewards! One that will never be forgotten!!

Congratulations! Well Earned! :-D

Cheers,
Nog

Wentrot
09-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Good job! That aint no small river either!

kilometers
09-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Nice moose. Good job on the retrieval. Them local moose are tasty.

DMD
09-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Thanks guys. Finally got everything buttoned up now and looking forward to my first meal from him tonight.

Savage Man
09-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Congrats !!!!

treehugger
09-27-2014, 07:57 PM
Ok! I believe it now... didn't think two mere mortals could pull a moose out of a river ;)
great story and great photos... dandy animal. Thanks for the share!

Sofa King
09-27-2014, 08:14 PM
can only think they'll get easier after this one.

zpruden
09-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Nice work great story

tigrr
09-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Hope my first is nothing like yours!!
Nice animal. Great story.

ElectricDyck
09-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Good story and pics to go with it, you look pretty pumped in the pic!

ElliotMoose
09-30-2014, 10:23 AM
Holy shit.. you weren't kidding.. that there is no creek! Great job guys good for you on not giving up. Hope those steaks are rewarding, you earned it!