PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have these binos?

Krico
03-12-2007, 09:52 PM
OK, it's soon going to be time to upgrade the glass. No question the Swarovski EL, Zeiss Victory T* FL and Leica Ultravid are the best, and I would love a set, I just cannot spend $2500 (taxes in). I am willing to spend around the $1000 mark give or take. Anyone have any of the models listed below, or anything else close, and what do you think of them? Where would you purchase from?

Zeiss Conquest T* ABK
Minox HG
Pentax DCF ED
Bushnell Elite
Vortex Razors
Leica Trinovid
Nikon Premier LX-L

I am not sure yet whether I will get 8 or 10 power, am fully aware of the positives and negatives of both and still deciding.

SAVAGE300
03-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Hey have a look on ebay, you may get your swornos, I buy binos on there all the time, for some reason i have run over 3 pairs of burris

todbartell
03-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Im pretty impressed with the Elite 10x43, they dont seem to far off what the euro stuff is, at half the price.

StoneChaser
03-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Hey for some reason i have run over 3 pairs of burris

Don't worry, you're not alone...the first time I looked through a pair of Burris binos I felt like doing the same thing:lol:

Sitkaspruce
03-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Minox HG 8.5x43 were one of the best models I looked through, along with the Elites. The razors were very nice as well, just too new a company for me, although they have one of the best warranties going.

Do the try evrything and go back again routine until you find what fits you best.

Gamebuster
03-12-2007, 10:12 PM
I second Ebay...got a brand new pair of Leicas on there after some hunting and waiting for $600...8-) ...might take some time though, be patient and wait for the deal.. :lol:

srupp
03-12-2007, 11:25 PM
I had one of the FIRST pair of "BUSHNELL" Baush & LAUMB ELITE IN BC...seriel # under 50..lol..and for all these years they have worked ALMOST flawlessly..this original set was NOT waterproof...all are now waterproof. Mine are 20 years old??

They are SUPERB optics well worthy of the price...and you wont be disapointed...

Steven

Buck
03-13-2007, 12:40 AM
I have Zeiss classics but my brotherinlaw picked up a pair of the Nikon's and that was after alot of research.They are very good and he payed 250 0r 300 somewhere in there.They are highly rated in the birding community.

tuchodi
03-13-2007, 07:55 AM
I have the Bushnell Elite 10 x 43 and they have worked real good. Two of my hunting partners bought a pair of Leica's and a pair of Swarovski's on Ebay and payed less than $800.00. It took them a few months but it was worth it.

Fisher-Dude
03-13-2007, 08:15 AM
I have the 10x42 Leica Trinovids. I ordered them directly through a friend who owned a sporting goods store and paid about $1600 taxes in, which was a smokin' deal. The same glass now is about $2000 at Wholesale Sports.

In optics, you get what you pay for. A $1000 pair of anything is not as good as a $2000 pair. You may get a deal on ebay, but I'm uncertain how warranty works for the second owner on some of the Euro glass. I'd check into it to make sure. My advice is to save until you have the $2000, because I can bet that in a few years you will be buying another set of $1000 binos to replace the first set, or upgrading to $2000 ones anyways. I found it's cheaper in the long run to pay the price now for a $2000 set that will last your lifetime.

Rackmastr
03-13-2007, 08:30 AM
I had a pair of Minox BL 10x42s and they are great binos for the money....I've heard the HG's are great.

I just snagged a pair of Kahles and they are a nice bino for the price as well. The Swaro SLC's are my favorite I've looked through....

Benthos
03-13-2007, 12:02 PM
As somebody on a more limited budget than others, there is no way I can pay $2000 for a pair of binoculars. Although I'd love to, it just ain't gonna happen or the kids will starve!

Anyways, I bought a pair of Bushnell Legend's for around $400 with tax, and have been happy with them so far.

For my price range, I looked around and thought the Legends were the best deal.

just my opinion

Stone Sheep Steve
03-13-2007, 12:28 PM
F/D doesn't have any kids to starve but you could count a few ribs on his dog until his binos were paid for:-( ..........................................:lol:. Don't worry, he is guilt free because he was able to fatten up the pooch will all those extra deer he could finally see :smile: .

SSS

wetcoaster
03-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Check out brunton bins online

http://www.brunton.com/catalog.php?subcat=1

I use bins everyday in my work and therefore need a good pair, I have tried nearly everything. Last year I was given a cap of 800$ to spend on a new pair in my budget by the powers that be and after researching everything I went with a pair of Brunton Eternas full size (actually fairly copact for a full size binocular) in the 8X45 and coudn't be happier. They are a ton of binocular for the money, I can't believe the quality of the lens coatings, prisms, light gathering and optics in general for the money. They are nitrogen filled making them waterproof and fog proof and have a lifetime gauantee. I have beat the heck out of them in the field this year working and hunting they have been fully emersed several times during various surveys and have taken everything I can throw at them. After having several expensive pairs of binocs and destroying them I have learned youdon't have to spend big bucks to get quality optics there are some really high quality alternatives such as these for a way less. Deakin equipment sells them locally and was where I purchased mine.

RiverOtter
03-13-2007, 12:47 PM
My next binos are going to be the Minox HG in 8.5 or 10. I have looked through the Leica, Zeiss and Swaro's and was not impressed with the Swaro's at all, considering they were the same coin as the other big two.

All the guys I have talked to said that the Minoxs' are 95%+ of what you get in the big three, but nearly half the price. Considering what I put a pair of bino's through, the price is very appealing for less than 5% reduction in visual quality. The biggest price reduction in the Minox comes from reduced labour costs, not reduced parts quality, as they get their glass from the same manufacturer as Zeiss.

RO

Fisher-Dude
03-13-2007, 01:22 PM
F/D doesn't have any kids to starve but you could count a few ribs on his dog until his binos were paid for ..........................................:lol:. Don't worry, he is guilt free because he was able to fatten up the pooch will all those extra deer he could finally see.

SSS

He's put on 6 lbs this winter! He loves a bit of freezer-burned burger sprinkled in his meal. And me, on a solid diet of deer and some left over moose...well, let's just say I had to buy a bigger belt last week 'cause the last notch in my old one was ripping. :redface:

As Will says:

http://www.austinpowers.com/objects/images/fat*******standing.jpg

Buy good binos, see more game, and you too can be a Fat *******! :lol:

Spitzer
03-13-2007, 05:11 PM
I would get the Vortex Razors (8x42) over the Minox HG's, just because of they have a WAY better field of view. 410ft vs. 320ft@1000yrds. The Minox's are a little lighter, 22.9oz vs. 29.4oz if that's a concern.

There are some good reviews of the Razors on birdforums and opticstalk. Vortex is owned by Eagle optics FYI.

Another great bargain bino to look at is the Meopta Meostar 8x42. They just came out with a 7x42 model.

I prefer 8x myself, less shaky, brighter, and more FOV than 10x.

30-06
03-13-2007, 05:13 PM
OK, it's soon going to be time to upgrade the glass. No question the Swarovski EL, Zeiss Victory T* FL and Leica Ultravid are the best, and I would love a set, I just cannot spend $2500 (taxes in). I am willing to spend around the $1000 mark give or take. Anyone have any of the models listed below, or anything else close, and what do you think of them? Where would you purchase from?

Zeiss Conquest T* ABK
Minox HG
Pentax DCF ED
Bushnell Elite
Vortex Razors
Leica Trinovid
Nikon Premier LX-L

I am not sure yet whether I will get 8 or 10 power, am fully aware of the positives and negatives of both and still deciding.

im thinking of getting the bushnell's with the digital camera/video camera thing build it.seems kinda neat to me.i know wally world and canadian tire has them

muleychaser
03-13-2007, 08:28 PM
I have been using a pair of 10x42 Alpen's and have been extremely impressed with them. They are hard to find sometimes but I would buy another pair.

Davinci
03-13-2007, 09:42 PM
I got a pair of the Cabela's euro bino's (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602006-cat601539&id=0035391712421a&navCount=1&podId=0035391&parentId=cat601539&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601539&hasJS=true). Great glass for the money. Took them on an elk and white tail hunt last year...great glass.:)

Spitzer
03-14-2007, 06:36 AM
I got a pair of the Cabela's euro bino's (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602006-cat601539&id=0035391712421a&navCount=1&podId=0035391&parentId=cat601539&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601539&hasJS=true) (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602006-cat601539&id=0035391712421a&navCount=1&podId=0035391&parentId=cat601539&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601539&hasJS=true%29). Great glass for the money. Took them on an elk and white tail hunt last year...great glass.:)

Cabela's Euro bino is made by Meopta. They are rebadged Meostars, they are also a great bargain.