PDA

View Full Version : Buck grunts...now what? (Newb)

ianm
09-25-2014, 10:39 AM
Hello all,

I'm hoping to ask for some help. I've been scouring an area and recently heard a buck grunt (lots of moose sign, some elk sign but not much deer sign). My instinct tells me to keep exploring the area to see if I can find game trails to feeding/watering areas, and then when I have more evidence of activity to set up at day break and use a doe call to bring him in. I'm going into my third season of hunting without much success, so I was curious to get some feedback from all you experienced folks to see if I'm on the right path.

Let the flaming begin!! :lol:

junkyard_g
09-25-2014, 10:41 AM
Rut isn't for another month but could peak their curiosity and have them check you out.

ianm
09-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Would a buck call work better than doe? Or is calling in mulies a waste of time pre-rut?

Mikey Rafiki
09-25-2014, 01:08 PM
The bucks might be starting to play around and establish dominance, especially the big ones. I don't think he will be interested in fornicating yet.

Try some light rattling or raking some trees.

Dannybuoy
09-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Would a buck call work better than doe? Or is calling in mulies a waste of time pre-rut?
Some years ago , I bought a buck grunt and wanted to try it out on game preseason so I went to a spot I knew had a small mulie herd . After a few grunts and a little patience , I was glassing the ridges over looking my position and found 3 small bucks and 5 does staring in my direction trying to figure out what the heck was making the noises . All the deer were under 100yd and a couple came in under 50 before I got up and scared the crap outa them :-D So it might not attract the big boys but could bring in some curious young bucks .

Fisher-Dude
09-25-2014, 04:43 PM
Bleat cans will trigger responses just about any time. I've even seen a whitetail buck race down a hillside to check out a muley fawn that was crying for momma after they were separated.