PDA

View Full Version : Port Alberni

SeaScene
09-25-2014, 10:16 AM
I just tied up at Fisherman's Wharf PA and will winter over here before exploring west side starting next spring. I have sailed many wonderful years on the east and north coast living full time aboard my sailboat. I have heard of the world class fishing in the Somass and Stamp but see nobody (so far) just dragging some lures in the river out front. Is it closed for fishing or just not a producing area? ... thanks

09-25-2014, 10:46 AM
sounds like your living the high life!!!

check the regulations for closures.
But i suspect people there have better places to fish, and go there.

Dutch Ppoacher
09-26-2014, 05:32 PM
your fishing down at the estuary? there is a closed area to be of concern! the top of the boundary is above papermill dam, the first real rapid going up stream.
the fish have entered the river pretty heavy over the last 2.5 weeks and the last commercial/FN fisheries on the bottom end of the somass and inlet have really slowed trolling for salmon. On the flip side the mid and upper river are producing steady fish. bait is allowed on the mid section of the river which has been working for the last couple days since the rain started. spoons and spinners are also producing. there are a couple classic linning holes on the river if you just want meat in the freezer but will have to contend with many others including guide boats.

My best suggestion would be to pop into gone fishing and read the printed copy of limits/closers/ans standard regulations, don't take the word of the counter girls for regulations but do have a chat as they can help you find a spot to go.

best of luck
see you on the water!

DP

mr eagle
09-26-2014, 08:39 PM
A friend of mine fished with Murphy's yesterday on the river. Full limits of springs and coho, drifting roe out of their jet boat.

It was his first trip to Alberni, he's hooked.