PDA

View Full Version : 3-39 any good?

CKvan
09-22-2014, 10:41 PM
I'm trying to decide where to go hunting for Sep. 28-Oct. 7. Looking at the backroad mapbooks and google, the area south of Mahood lake looks promising. There seems to be a lot of lakes and plenty of access, but what is the country itself like? Is it busy? I go hunting in part to minimize my contact with other humans (outside my hunting buddies), so that's a consideration.

If the area is no good, any other suggestions within about a 6-7 hour drive of the lower mainland?

BTW, I have tags for both deer and BBear, and will pick up a moose tag, too, just in case one of those little stinkers pokes his head up. I'll also be bringing along the fishing gear, for those days I don't feel like trekking/driving all day.

CKvan
09-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Really? No one?

421fighter
09-23-2014, 05:04 PM
I haven't hunted there for some time, but getting away from the crowd will require some doing. And, last time I did hunt there, land sharks were leaving very little to see. Fishing pole, you bet. Lots of lakes, but you should have a boat of some kind, as there isn't a lot of shore line to cast from. Friends of mine have almost always picked up a moose, but they live in the area, and hunt hard. Dave

CKvan
09-23-2014, 05:42 PM
I haven't hunted there for some time, but getting away from the crowd will require some doing. And, last time I did hunt there, land sharks were leaving very little to see. Fishing pole, you bet. Lots of lakes, but you should have a boat of some kind, as there isn't a lot of shore line to cast from. Friends of mine have almost always picked up a moose, but they live in the area, and hunt hard. Dave
Thanks for that. Any suggestions on places I may want to try instead?

longwalk
09-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Had a moose draw up there three years ago. Put lots of miles on foot and quad. Ran into a fellow that said a saw a deer, no moose sign. Fresh wolf tracks every morning in the snow.

lone wolf
09-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Grouse population is on the decline out there :-D . Fishing is great but havent seen much moose sign , still a big area and lots of people in some spots . Just have to get past them .

REMINGTON JIM
09-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Lots of WOLFS in that area now - moose pop is way down :cry: Black bears there and a few deer - Some good fishing in the lakes ! :) RJ

Vladimir Poutine
09-23-2014, 09:33 PM
Lots of bears this year. Saw 6 yesterday, 2 big boars, one black and one in light brown. Getting reports of some moose. My wife bagged an immature today, but I'm saving the story and pics for a new thread. Very little hauling activity right now which is good.

Big Hoss
09-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Nice area good fishing good hunting if you get off the beaten path

JIL_24/7
09-23-2014, 09:53 PM
I was there this spring and found it had a ton of bears, rabbits and grouse. More than 50% of the bears I saw were chocolate/cinnamon. Saw some does. No bucks, but there are some pretty good lakes and cutblocks. If you want any more suggestions just PM me and I can give you some ideas in and around 3-39. God bless.