PDA

View Full Version : Cattle Fences on Crown Land?

Burnabyred
09-22-2014, 10:23 PM
Was just up near Greenstone Mtn in Reg 3 and one of the cattle farmers looks to have been busy putting fencing up all over the place. Is there any issue hopping the fence or do they have some kind of restricted use/lease of crown land? Flippin cattle everywhere up there and fewer and fewer access points...grrr.

luckofthedraw
09-22-2014, 10:49 PM
Double check frontcounter on google earth for land ownership. If it is in fact crown, no problem crossing I believe..they are just range fences. Correct me if wrong.

Burnabyred
09-22-2014, 11:16 PM
Thanks, that frontcounter is really helpful.

M.Dean
09-23-2014, 06:11 AM
Far as I know, if it's a Lease on Crown land, you can cross it no problem, but I'd try and find the gates, way easier to open and close a gate than try to climb over the fence with my Quad and trailer under my arm! Also, when you climb over a barb wire fence, lots of times you'll pull the wire with your weight, causing the wire to sag, and after time the cattle can step over it. So, when ever possible try to find the gates, and if there closed, close them, if there open, leave them open.

russm86
09-23-2014, 06:50 AM
Far as I know, if it's a Lease on Crown land, you can cross it no problem, but I'd try and find the gates, way easier to open and close a gate than try to climb over the fence with my Quad and trailer under my arm! Also, when you climb over a barb wire fence, lots of times you'll pull the wire with your weight, causing the wire to sag, and after time the cattle can step over it. So, when ever possible try to find the gates, and if there closed, close them, if there open, leave them open.

Correction, Grazing PERMITS on Crown Land are open to public access. Grazing LEASES are essentially private property, technically supposed to get leaseholders permission just to park or walk on it let alone hunt on it. This has come up several times on this site this year and last. I have discussed the differences with COs, the ranchers, and a BC land titles office representative, all gave the same answer...

I should add, it sounds like the government is trying to do away with leases, the few remaining are grandfathered as far as I know. I believe majority of fences out in the middle of the bush would just be range fences to separate different ranchers permits or to allow the ranchers to move their cattle to different feeding areas throughout the season. If I recall correctly the only leases or private property up the greenstone/tunkwa area is the farms/fields at the bottom of the greenstone mountain road, the whole first left fork of the greenstone mtn road, and indian gardens ranch above savona area. As others suggested you should double check for yourself though.

Dog_River
09-23-2014, 11:42 AM
whats frontcounter ?

Double check frontcounter on google earth for land ownership. If it is in fact crown, no problem crossing I believe..they are just range fences. Correct me if wrong.

Bugle M In
09-23-2014, 12:07 PM
whats frontcounter ?

x2 ?? will try to check that out

180grainer
09-23-2014, 03:02 PM

My understanding is if the rancher has a grazing lease he can control access to a certain extent. He has to have cattle or other live stock using the land. Maybe someone knows more about this.

Steve W
09-23-2014, 03:17 PM
x2 ?? will try to check that out

Front Counter BC is a one-stop gov't access location. Usually have people from several ministries who are involved in Crown Land access various permits/licenses. Should be in the blue pages of you phone book or a quick Google search should find your closest one.

Most fences on Greenstone Mt are likely funded/erected by the Range Branch of FLNRO as part of their range management plan. Most of the fences and x-fences on Crown Land are. Some of the new ones I've seen in the 100-Mile area even have the standard blue/yellow got's signage reminding people to close gates.

Swamp mule
09-23-2014, 10:46 PM
To all hunters. In reference to above comments and inquiries.
There are grazing leases and there are grazing licences. Grazing licences are labeled and start with the three letters "RAN" (Range Agreement Number) Majority of the BC crown land is range lands covered by these 15 to 25 year renewal tenures that are fenced but also open to recreational activities to the general public a shared resource for all. The best common sense is respect for all fencelines and gates. Leave it as you found it. Access is not restricted on range tenures and are not posted by tenure holders. However, there are some instances where some tenure holders do post their crown range and do confuse their licenses as leases. So the best is to make sure that you know your area that you are hunting in and to make sure that you know that there are those three letters that are ahead of the ran number. Under range licenses, there are range use plans and within that document the dates that the livestock are to be off the range. However, if the stubble heights are met sooner than the dates then livestock must be off. The RUP's all vary in the province.

Now Grazing leases are an entirely different entity that should be respected by all. All grazing leases do not start with the three letters "RAN" but by numbers. All leases are renewable every 21yrs with a management plan. The biggest difference is that all leasee's pay a annual tax in addition to their forage fee. Every lease is not the same and some are different from each other. Access to these leases are restricted and require leasee permission. Should these leases be posted, ranchers can then charge all trespassers under the Trespass Act. There are a number of leases south of PG but there are a number in the Peace area and the size of leases vary. On the land status maps acquired at Corlanes are highlighted in a particular colour. It is the hunters responsibility to know where they are located and not crossing into these leases. I have been informed from local ranchers that most hunters are not shooting or taking signs and dropping them on the ground but rather taking them with them when they go through the fencelines and gates. Should you find gates locked at a lease access point then they are allowed to do so. The other issue is that some hunters are even cutting fences to gain access without consideration. This is now leading to ranchers closing their private lands and/or leases to all future hunting even if they complain about the wildlife impacts and want something to do about it. It is those that have lower ethics and morals that are impacting all others.
Community pastures. Check your regulations and know where they are and where the boundaries are that are closed to hunting and when they are open. Some do not allow hunting at all and are posted at the entrances to the pasture.

As for fencelines, the governments do not always supply the materials, this varies between districts and regions. I know in one area where it is the rancher whom is responsible for purchasing and constructing and maintaining the fencelines.

markomoose
09-24-2014, 02:17 AM
Do the ranchers have to post NO HUNTING signs?

Doostien
09-24-2014, 06:08 PM
Was just up near Greenstone Mtn in Reg 3 and one of the cattle farmers looks to have been busy putting fencing up all over the place. Is there any issue hopping the fence or do they have some kind of restricted use/lease of crown land? Flippin cattle everywhere up there and fewer and fewer access points...grrr.

So long as the fence is on crown land there is no issue crossing it. However, ensure it doesn't separate crown land from private property or a lease. I know one of the ranchers who runs cattle in that area, a lot of closures and deactivations are coming in response to ORV usage and dispersed camping. You aren't the only one who's inconvenienced by it. He can't haul his trailer a lot of places anymore, meaning he has to ride his horse longer and further than he used to.

Correction, Grazing PERMITS on Crown Land are open to public access. Grazing LEASES are essentially private property, technically supposed to get leaseholders permission just to park or walk on it let alone hunt on it. This has come up several times on this site this year and last. I have discussed the differences with COs, the ranchers, and a BC land titles office representative, all gave the same answer...

I should add, it sounds like the government is trying to do away with leases, the few remaining are grandfathered as far as I know. I believe majority of fences out in the middle of the bush would just be range fences to separate different ranchers permits or to allow the ranchers to move their cattle to different feeding areas throughout the season. If I recall correctly the only leases or private property up the greenstone/tunkwa area is the farms/fields at the bottom of the greenstone mountain road, the whole first left fork of the greenstone mtn road, and indian gardens ranch above savona area. As others suggested you should double check for yourself though.

The government stopped giving out leases in the 90's. All leases before that can only be removed if the leaseholder violates his lease agreement. All current leases will always renew so long as the leaseholder has kept his agreement in good standing. Most leases however have been around for many years, usually as long as the ranch has. Most are integral in the operation of a ranch, used as grazing between free range and feeding times, others have corrals or irrigation systems for connected private property.

Do the ranchers have to post NO HUNTING signs?

Yes and no. The trespass act requires properties to be signed. However, if signs are torn down, and the owner has proof he signed it adequately, meaning took pictures of the signs, he does not need to re-sign it and they can charge people regardless of the signs being there.

'No Hunting' signs are kind of pointless if you ask me. A 'No Trespassing' sign covers all the bases. Can't hunt there without trespassing. Plus the other fine you can receive for hunting leases/private property are independant of any signage.