PDA

View Full Version : Do Dogs Scare Away Game?

Redneck Rocket
09-22-2014, 01:45 PM
What are people's opinions? I have a buddy who takes his dog out with him, and he reckons the deer sometimes come towards him if the dog is around, wanting to run the dog off their turf.

I'm wondering what people have found? Obviously a nutso dog barking its head off and chasing animals (like 2 of my crazy little house dogs) is not going to do you any favours but assuming it is trained and stays with you, does the scent put animals off?

My logic is telling me that if they can smell the dog they can smell you, and if the dog's scent would put them off then yours would anyway.

Thoughts?

Jagermeister
09-22-2014, 01:54 PM
In the Scandinavian countries, dogs are used to hunt moose. Hence the Elkhound or more precisely the Elghund.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr8u1HmejMc

caddisguy
09-22-2014, 01:56 PM
What are people's opinions? I have a buddy who takes his dog out with him, and he reckons the deer sometimes come towards him if the dog is around, wanting to run the dog off their turf.

I'm wondering what people have found? Obviously a nutso dog barking its head off and chasing animals (like 2 of my crazy little house dogs) is not going to do you any favours but assuming it is trained and stays with you, does the scent put animals off?

My logic is telling me that if they can smell the dog they can smell you, and if the dog's scent would put them off then yours would anyway.

Thoughts?

I would have to double check the regs, but I don't know if you are allowed to "use" dogs to hunt deer... but yeah deer will probably either react by leaving the area or trying to run over the dog. There was a funny video of a dog getting run over by a deer a few weeks back. It's only funny because the dog was OK, otherwise it wouldn't have been so funny. Depending on where you are hunting, having a dog around puts you at more risk of getting run over by a moose as well... people with dogs are considered "part of the wolf pack" as far as a moose is concerned :)

Correction: dogs can be used to hunt all came, but dogs must be on a leash when used to hunt deer, elk, moose, sheep, goat, caribou

Ron.C
09-22-2014, 01:59 PM
I've stalked and shot deer with my bow, and bears with my muzzleloader with my dog at my side. If your dog is quiet and responds to basic hand signals and you keep the wind in your face, they are great hunting companions. Plus, the advantages they bring with respect to tracking a wounded animal can't be understated.

I've probably spent more time hunting with my dog at my side then I have people.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/June_15_Black_Bear.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/track1.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/buckley.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Dog2.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/huntdog.jpg

Darksith
09-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Ron C nailed it. Depends on the dog...if the animal catches your scent, its probably gonna bolt, don't matter if its you or the dog, if the dog is trained well its not gonna be an obstacle.

j270wsm
09-22-2014, 02:05 PM
My son and I put a stalk on a bull with a friend who brought his golden lab. She never made a sound and only went 10-15' away at any time. After 40min of hiking we called a 6x6 into 35yds, that came straight in and stood 40yds away on the edge of the slide. Dan and the dog were about 30yds below me and my son and the bull had no clue they were there. Unfortunately neither Dan or my son could see the bull.

Ridge-Runner
09-22-2014, 03:47 PM
An interesting read for sure.......http://www.montanatws.org/PDF%20Files/8dogs.pdf

Look into some of the research of flight distances for dogs and bighorn sheep/mule deer there are a few papers published. Dogs are direct decedents of wolves, a lot of N/A wildlife evolved with wolves functioning within their ecosystems; hence, no surprise there would be an adverse effect or a disturbance factor from sight or scent. It might have something to do with deep survival instincts and behavior.

RR

squamishhunter
09-22-2014, 03:56 PM
"Dogs - The use of dogs is permitted in the hunting of all game, but dogs must be on a leash when used to hunt deer, elk, moose, mountain sheep, mountain goat and caribou. Unleashed dogs may be used to hunt small game, lynx, bobcat, grizzly bear, black bear or cougar. Any person may train dogs by allowing them, under supervision, to pursue game birds from August 1 to April 30."

squamishhunter
09-22-2014, 03:58 PM
I called in wolves last week, but they wouldnt show themselves. The dog didn't like it but he obviously didn't scare them, assuming they knew he was there. (probably did)

Rob Chipman
09-22-2014, 04:29 PM
I used to hunt with my dog all the time. Border Collie, well trained, quiet. Wouldn't chase deer. Didn't pay much attention to them. Often didn't even seem to notice them when we found them. Loved following wolf and coyote trails. Gone 6 weeks ago with kidney failure.

I'm going to try t train the next one to trail deer and moose, but not sure how to do it successfully. There is a guy in New York who trails wounded deer with Daschunds, and I know they hunt moose in Norway with dogs, but I'd like to try it.

Different dogs, different behaviours, but I like a dog around for bears. I know some people say the dog will bring the bear back to you, but my dogs have generally been pretty well trained and don't get lost or run free out of my sight too often. Scout was aware enough of bears that he'd didn't like them and would stick closer to me when they were around (lots on North Van bears, so he knew what they were).

Ridge-Runner
09-22-2014, 04:33 PM
Here is another reference........ http://www.blm.gov/ca/pdfs/palmsprings_pdfs/Stat_of_Sci.pdf

Big Lew
09-22-2014, 06:30 PM
My young lab is trained enough now that it's no problem keeping him at heel or very near on command regardless of the animals he sees. He is familiar with deer, bear, coyotes, and cattle. He even came back immediately on command when he went after a cougar that ran across the road in front of him. I would love to be able to take him hunting with me, but when hunting deer I'm obligated by law to keep him leashed. I can't see that working while bow hunting through bush.

.30-06 camsavbc
09-22-2014, 08:12 PM
This is from the Sask. Wildlife Regs.
Dogs
19(1) No person shall use a dog for hunting big game or permit a dog accustomed
to pursuing big game to run at large in a locality where big game is usually found.
(2) Any dog found chasing big game may be killed by any person without
incurring any liability.

When I worked in Alberta, not sure the law at the time, the "guys" on job sites said they would shoot a dog if it were harassing wildlife.

My opinion is that if the law states that your dog must be on a leash then it should be on a leash. This is common sense and courtesy and not to mention the law just like all other laws. It is there to protect the dog as much as anything else.

I however would not in any case shoot someones dog even if the law permitted this.

yamadirt 426
09-22-2014, 08:29 PM
i pursue small and large game with a combo gun simultaneously . Anything I see legal is going down big or small. Dog is "off" leash all the time. Im not sure how to square that circle. Legal for birds rabbits bears and cats but not deer. Oh well I always have 1 center fire and 1 shell chambered and ill leave a short 1` leash hanging off him i guess. my only bear was shot with my dog at my side. He did not seem to mind

dogboy
09-22-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm guilty of taking my dog big game hunting (black lab)
I'm blessed to have a dog that won't leave my side and I've done very little training.
Unbelievable how he tracks down animals I've shot with bow or rifle that I would have never been able to find but the thing that gets me is he sees the animal no matter how far or how thick the bush between us and the deer are.
As long as there's a slight breeze ,His nose is his eyes. We were elk hunting in kelowna for the morning the other day and bugled one in. He never came in close enough to see but I watched my dogs head turn slowly around us as the elk circled us before catching our wind and bulged his way over the next ridge. This is especially creepy while bear hunting

Duidery
09-22-2014, 11:05 PM
I have shot two of my last three elk with my dog and wish he was there for the third. After shooting the elk, we spent two hours looking before we found him. If the dog was with us, I'm sure the dog would have lead me to the elk sooner.

BANG!
09-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Our last dog was a great dane. I never took her hunting - she was too squirrelly - but whenever I came back from a successful bear hunt, she would go absolutely ape shit when she smelt the bear on me. Funny as hell watching her jumping around, 50% scared and 50% wanting to protect me from the beast she couldn't see.

09-23-2014, 11:42 AM
i pursue small and large game with a combo gun simultaneously . Anything I see legal is going down big or small. Dog is "off" leash all the time. Im not sure how to square that circle. Legal for birds rabbits bears and cats but not deer. Oh well I always have 1 center fire and 1 shell chambered and ill leave a short 1` leash hanging off him i guess. my only bear was shot with my dog at my side. He did not seem to mind

X 2.......do the same. Feathered critters are the dogs action, big game are mine.......works out great and his nose has definitely been a bonus when its time to find downed animals.

Ozone
09-23-2014, 12:59 PM
My dog scared off a deer once. I was sitting leaning up against a tree, dog was laying beside me, this curious doe came up to us and was just sniffing my boot when the dog let out a snore and the deer walked off quickly. Other than that, I don't think she scared anything.

ruger#1
09-23-2014, 01:06 PM
This is from the Sask. Wildlife Regs.
Dogs
19(1) No person shall use a dog for hunting big game or permit a dog accustomed
to pursuing big game to run at large in a locality where big game is usually found.
(2) Any dog found chasing big game may be killed by any person without
incurring any liability.

When I worked in Alberta, not sure the law at the time, the "guys" on job sites said they would shoot a dog if it were harassing wildlife.

My opinion is that if the law states that your dog must be on a leash then it should be on a leash. This is common sense and courtesy and not to mention the law just like all other laws. It is there to protect the dog as much as anything else.

I however would not in any case shoot someones dog even if the law permitted this.

Grouse and rabbit season is the same time as big game. You could be shooting a hunters dog that is being used the right way. Me, I wont shoot unless the dog is coming after me.

Redneck Rocket
09-23-2014, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the considered replies everyone. I never even considered the regs TBH, which I really should I just was thinking of bringing a dog along for the walk!

Sounds like most likely if they are well trained and quiet there's not much to be concerned about as far as scaring game.

Boner
09-24-2014, 09:36 AM
I bring my hound. She lets me spot and stalk bears (just for fun, not shooting). She heels and doesn't chase them. I harvested my moose in late August up in the Peace, she didn't mind that at all. Guns don't bother her luckily.

sawmill
09-24-2014, 10:40 AM
I got a 2 year old Walker x Redbone.No way in the world can I take her,even on a leash.She just goes nuts when she sees game.

BEAVERBRUCE
09-24-2014, 09:13 PM
off course they do. a camp I used to go to would have moose & calves walk by the porch in the evening with about 6 people drinking beer on it. if there was a dog in camp no moose.

Sofa King
09-24-2014, 09:40 PM
hmmmm?
dogs, coyotes, wolves, all part of the canine family.
would only stand to reason that deer/moose would want to avoid them.

that said, if your dog is well-behaved, that helps a lot.
but I'd think you'd have to play the wind even more-so with a canine at your side.

Big Lew
09-25-2014, 06:23 AM
One thing to be wary about if you're going to be cruising about with an un-leashed dog.
Even today's rather calm and domestic range cattle consider dogs a threat, especially if
they have calves. I have seen cows all join in to chase a dog with serious intent. This
can create the same scenario as with an attacking bear in that your dog will come running
back to you, bringing the stampede as well.