PDA

View Full Version : Sidekicks and Trackers

walnutz
09-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Just wondering who uses one for hunting and what they think of them? I just got a sidekick in pretty good shape but its bone stock so wondering what,if anything needs to be modified to make it better for the bush. Besides a winch/bumper what does anyone recommend? I dont want to drop much money into it but would love to hear the suggestions.Not into rock crawling or big time 4x4ing so anyhting needed to do those things is not needed. Thanks!!

Grousedaddy
09-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Good tires , skid plates , winch , lights and a good roof rack maybe a jerry can holder on ther back and a radio your set

Rob Chipman
09-22-2014, 02:07 PM
I've got a Sidekick that will (one day) become a bush rig. My buddy has a Samurai bush rig. What I always think about, in his, is some sort of clip system to secure the rifle, butt on the floor, barrel held secure someway, so that it's easy to place, remove and keep clear of all the crap that tends to pile up. Aside from that I'm thinking lift kit, winch, good tires, some sort of rack, like most people.

popeye
09-22-2014, 02:42 PM
I don't think you need to do anything, if your not planning any major off roading.

My dad had one for years that he'd tow behind his truck/camper when I was younger. He'd setup camp without jeopardizing the truck, and then we'd take off hunting in the Suzuki. He would only pack a chainsaw & rope...that's it. The one time we got stuck, he tied the rope from the tree to the frame, and cut er down, pulling the sidekick out. Common sense will keep you out of trouble.

The only reason he sold it, was to get a trailer. Couldn't pack any more in the sidekick. He even had a 10' fiberglass boat on a rack on the top...was a great bush vehicle as-is/stock.

One time, I bottomed out and got stuck in a creek in a Jeep YJ...and he pulled me out with the same Sidekick on the other side.

2 deer fit nicely in the back with the seats folded down too.

I'm sure he's still got either a rack, or a tow bar in his garage.

trailmastersky
09-22-2014, 02:51 PM
I see them all over the place during hunting season. Good all weather or mud & snow tires and your good

Good2bCanadian
09-22-2014, 02:53 PM
That's a brilliant way to get yourself out of a jam.
Hopefully the tree goes the way you want

steelheadSABO
09-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Lock the rear end along with good tires

Steeleco
09-22-2014, 04:26 PM
V bar chains and you'll be climbing hills in nut deep snow.

Kami
09-22-2014, 04:40 PM
I have a Sidekick. I got a 6,000 lb winch at Princess Auto for $300 or so I think it was. A lot more reliable than a rope and a chainsaw IMHO.
These are excellent little hunting machines. They really don't need much to be decent hunting vehicles. However the owners tend to put more
into them than what is needed. I am guilty.

Mine has:
Zuki Nation front bumper with winch mount, 6000 lb winch and bull bar
Zuki Nation full length roof rack
2" spacer lift
30.5 x 9.50 tires
LED light bar
Upgraded 100A alternator
1" wheel spacers for wider stance
VHF 2 way radio
Alpine CD Player with ipod control and Hertz speakers
Surely more to come like a full locking diff and fender flares.

I like it a lot for hunting. If you want the negatives: The stock seats are fairly brutal on washboard logging roads.
I plan to upgrade to better seats.
If you travel down the hiway at 100 to 110 kph expect to get better gas milage from your 5.4L Hemi engine.
If I travel at 80 kph gas economy goes way up. My economy has varied from 21 MPG to 28 MPG, depending on hiway speeds.
This of course with my oversized tires. These things suck fuel fumes idling about in the bush hunting.
The short wheel base makes them a little bouncy but worth it to me.
I carry safety stuff with me, extra fuel, chainsaw, rope, etc. This is why a roof basket is nice. Yank your deer up
over a tree with your winch. Tie it off. Pull underneath, drop it into roof basket. Done.

GotaGun
09-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Got a tracker myself
Zuki nation F&R bumpers
8000lb Warn winch
3" lift as well. (Don't do the 2" spacer kit buck up and replace the coils- rides better on the logging roads than stock)
snow tires.
Total cost including buying the tracker $4800.
Would of been more but ,free labour (myself), lucked out and found a clean tracker for $1900 ( with hard top and tow bar etc ), Warn winch brand new in box for $300, craigslist 4 snows almost new for $200 set (4)etc etc.

They are good stock for hunting and really good with some mods to it. Going hunting this year again with some buddy"s in there sxs's I keep bugging them that they paid 3 times more than me and they don't have - a heater, doors, and are not street legal.

lip_ripper00
09-22-2014, 09:35 PM
I have built a couple and enjoyed doing it. I am now doing the next generation Grand Vitara. Two things I will say about the tracker: stay away from the 16v engine, and the timing belts are good for 60,000km max! ( I know some body is going to say I got 110,000 and no problems) belts are easily replaced keep a speared with you. Have fun!

Sofa King
09-22-2014, 09:44 PM
I've got a Sidekick that will (one day) become a bush rig. My buddy has a Samurai bush rig. What I always think about, in his, is some sort of clip system to secure the rifle, butt on the floor, barrel held secure someway, so that it's easy to place, remove and keep clear of all the crap that tends to pile up. Aside from that I'm thinking lift kit, winch, good tires, some sort of rack, like most people.

I've got just the thing for you.
my dad rigged all his trucks up so that his gun was standing up right beside the door.
a butt plate on the floor and a spring clip on the windshield post.
it worked awesomely.
I actually just came across a couple in his old toolbox the other day.

Ry151
09-22-2014, 10:15 PM
Same issue in mine, but haven't come up with anything yet

NEEHAMA
09-23-2014, 12:29 PM
we have used them for years.
we prefer them stock with mudder tires...goes anywhere you point em!!
pm me if you need a price..lol

lift kit and bigger tires is a little overkill..bigger tires suck power out of them to...
we had a whole moose in one! crazy I know!

thepitchedlink
09-23-2014, 03:32 PM
I have built a couple and enjoyed doing it. I am now doing the next generation Grand Vitara. Two things I will say about the tracker: stay away from the 16v engine, and the timing belts are good for 60,000km max! ( I know some body is going to say I got 110,000 and no problems) belts are easily replaced keep a speared with you. Have fun!

Why the hate to the 16V? mine seems good....

lip_ripper00
09-24-2014, 12:07 AM
Why the hate to the 16V? mine seems good....

When was the timing belt replaced last? If It breaks with a 16v is junk. 8v is just an inconvience, have done it on the side of the road.....

walnutz
09-24-2014, 09:36 AM
I do like the idea of keeping it stock, Mainly for the cost and wont be 4x4ing in it to much anyways. So what is the best all around tire for these? snow,mud,toughness, etc...... stock size is 205/75/r15 so not sure if anything bigger would fit. I will have to drive on the roads to and from cabin so anything to aggresive will not work. Thanks!

thepitchedlink
09-24-2014, 10:12 AM
When was the timing belt replaced last? If It breaks with a 16v is junk. 8v is just an inconvience, have done it on the side of the road.....

I replaced mine last year....just did a valve lash last night

Backwoodninjajunky
09-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Take for a spin you ll figure out what you need real fast.. Test er out

Stone Sheep Steve
09-24-2014, 11:46 AM
I do like the idea of keeping it stock, Mainly for the cost and wont be 4x4ing in it to much anyways. So what is the best all around tire for these? snow,mud,toughness, etc...... stock size is 205/75/r15 so not sure if anything bigger would fit. I will have to drive on the roads to and from cabin so anything to aggresive will not work. Thanks!

You can run 235/75 r15's without rubbing (much) but it will be too tight on the front for chains.
While you will lose some power running larger tires, it sure smooths out the ride.

Seeker
09-24-2014, 12:16 PM
I hate that I don't have a drink holder, spill coffee all the time! DOH! 235/75's are nice. Keep the air pressure low and keep the stock shocks. A guy that I bought mine from put in new shocks and they are too stiff, therefore rougher ride. A roof rack for extra storage would be nice. Check out ZUKINATION(online) out of Kelowna, lots of extras. SSS there is a screw on the steering arm that you can adjust that will prevent rubbing with the bigger tires. You lose a little steering radius, but you still can turn around in a telephone booth. I love these things, best part is they are dirt cheap to drive at about $45 a tank for a full day. The Jerry can additionon the spare might bne handy if you are a huge road hunter, like adriaticum(see post Mule deer Reg3...haha kidding of course!)

Stone Sheep Steve
09-24-2014, 04:30 PM
I hate that I don't have a drink holder, spill coffee all the time! DOH! 235/75's are nice. Keep the air pressure low and keep the stock shocks. A guy that I bought mine from put in new shocks and they are too stiff, therefore rougher ride. A roof rack for extra storage would be nice. Check out ZUKINATION(online) out of Kelowna, lots of extras. SSS there is a screw on the steering arm that you can adjust that will prevent rubbing with the bigger tires. You lose a little steering radius, but you still can turn around in a telephone booth. I love these things, best part is they are dirt cheap to drive at about $45 a tank for a full day. The Jerry can additionon the spare might bne handy if you are a huge road hunter, like adriaticum(see post Mule deer Reg3...haha kidding of course!)

Yes we had to adjust that turning radius screw when my lift was installed.

My tires still rub with a 3" suspension lift but I'm running 30.5x9s and more offset rims. I run 235 winters so I have have room for chains all round.

I also picked up a cargo hitch rack at princess auto on sale for only $40. Nice to have the extra space.