PDA

View Full Version : Region 3-30 in October?

MichelD
09-22-2014, 11:37 AM
My hunting partner has an assignment to go help slaughter a hog on a place off Loon Lake road next month. I figure I'll go along.

I was thinking maybe we could fit in a bit of deer hunting too. I've been a bit north of there at the end of October and seen some deer but I was wondering in general what was the best time of year to be in 3-30 to catch the migration?

I don't know much about the place as it is my buddy's friend who lives there. I'm told the property backs onto crown land.

One more thing: Should we have whitetail tags? I saw a couple wt does up there once.

russm
09-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Been up there aroun thanksgiving and Halloween the last 2 seasons and haven't got anything besides grouse, we've seen does around but the only bucks we've spotted have been on orivate property, you'll see as you pass the alfalfa fields on your way up loon lake road, I think it was 3 seasons ago my dad and his buddy both pulled a spike each out of there.....

bigredchev
09-22-2014, 11:58 AM
More road hunters than you can imagine

MichelD
09-22-2014, 12:11 PM
I'm told the property is adjacent to crown land so maybe I can go for a hike in there.

Wick
09-22-2014, 03:26 PM
I've hunted both sides of Loon Lake for 25 years and it has been increasingly challenging to find bucks in October, let alone 4 points earlier in the season. Lots of road hunters and overall hunting pressure. There are a few does to choose from if you have the Anterless LEH, but without it I've zeroed out too much up there. Bucks are there, but not in numbers or areas that make good hunt out of a quick drive up one of the logging roads. Get out of your truck go for a good slow walk and/or sit down on a cut or some of the meadows up there. Good luck.