PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with a disability.

bearhunter338-06
09-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Hunting with a disability.

So their are hunter who have certain types of disabilities and are limited in their ability to move around in the field or get in and out of a vehicle or on and off a quad.

So to this I have to ask is their a way for them to get permition to shoot from a vehicle or a ATV/UTV. I have a freind who wants to hunts from his John Deer lawn tractor because he has 2 bad knees and is waiting for knee replacement surgery.

Thanks all

steveo
09-22-2014, 10:38 AM
I am glad this topic is up because I have a friend that has had a stroke and trying to get him hunting this year and wondering if there is any permits we could get him. I am wondering what the ministry and hunters consider a disability that warrants some bending of the regulations. I am thinking his ability to shoot from an atv or at least use it as a rest, not only for his gun but for his body.

d6dan
09-22-2014, 11:24 AM
If your friend can stand, he won't get a permit to shoot from a vehicle. I know, I have one.

Jagermeister
09-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Middle of page 8 of the current synopsis. You might find it hard to get to the site since PASB has been discontinued and FrontCounter had taken over. Probably best to phone F/C.

adriaticum
09-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Maybe hunting from a blind is a good option for someone with mobility difficulties.

LupieHunter
09-22-2014, 12:25 PM
If all else fails, hunting from a blind is doable if you have mobility issues. I have juvenile rheumatoid arthritis as well as an auto immune disease called Lupus and have hunted from a blind many times when my issues flared up. There are special permits for people with disabilities. I haven't really looked into it but a letter from your doctor explaining your circumstances might help to get a permit.

d6dan
09-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Middle of page 8 of the current synopsis. You might find it hard to get to the site since PASB has been discontinued and FrontCounter had taken over. Probably best to phone F/C.

I think its still up and running.....
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/docs/disabled_hunting_app.pdf

Jagermeister
09-22-2014, 01:47 PM
I think its still up and running.....
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/docs/disabled_hunting_app.pdf
Your link works. Funny, not a few minutes before I posted, I tried that same link and I got a notice of server no longer operational. You go some serious mojo d6dan:)

300H&H
09-22-2014, 03:29 PM
I am glad this topic is up because I have a friend that has had a stroke and trying to get him hunting this year and wondering if there is any permits we could get him. I am wondering what the ministry and hunters consider a disability that warrants some bending of the regulations. I am thinking his ability to shoot from an atv or at least use it as a rest, not only for his gun but for his body.

MOE does give "permission" to "hunt" on farm or orchard land if the owner applies.
The best way is to contact your local CO and let him know the situation and ask to be placed on the list.
Typically the hunts are before or after the season.
I had permission to take bears from a local orchard as they were destroying the fruit trees.

M.Dean
09-22-2014, 07:10 PM
If your friend can stand, he won't get a permit to shoot from a vehicle. I know, I have one. If you don't mind me asking d6dan, do you hunt from a truck or Quad, or both? I'm quite fortunate, I can still stand and walk some, but need extra help quite often with recovery. But, who ever's free when I call and can come up and help me out, gets well rewarded when the meats cut and wrapped!

d6dan
09-22-2014, 07:39 PM
If you don't mind me asking d6dan, do you hunt from a truck or Quad, or both? I'm quite fortunate, I can still stand and walk some, but need extra help quite often with recovery. But, who ever's free when I call and can come up and help me out, gets well rewarded when the meats cut and wrapped!

Truck, I don't think I have enough balance for a quad. (SCI Injury)

greybark
09-22-2014, 11:09 PM
Hey Bearhunter , Permits are available based on a Doctors recommendation . You must request the FSR`s you wish to hunt and the permit is good for Five years .
I have one due to Congestive heart failure and appreciate the chance to expand my limited capabilities .
Cheers

PS: Over several years many support this privilage and only one hunter begrudged me .