PDA

View Full Version : Moose/ elk In east harrison????

Backwoodninjajunky
09-22-2014, 06:24 AM
anyone ever see moose or elk in up east harrison fsr? We were out and about yest and came across some very large droppings. There was distorted tracks like calf size but the look more like horse tracks. But the pooped never lies, wonder even maybe if it was one mountian goats or something. Kinda got in aww

adriaticum
09-22-2014, 06:27 AM
Elk probably

Tikka270
09-22-2014, 06:42 AM
There was elk transplanted in the area not too long ago.

r106
09-22-2014, 06:58 AM
I was hiking the hills above bear creek a few years ago and heard a bugle off in the distance just before sun up. Don't know if it was man made or the real deal?

adriaticum
09-22-2014, 08:02 AM
There is definitely elk in the Harrison

LupieHunter
09-22-2014, 08:23 AM
Not really any moose down this far but as someone said there are elk back there.

Backwoodninjajunky
09-22-2014, 08:44 AM
I read someon old article saying there has been some moose spotted out skagit valley, don't elk roll in numbers? This was a Lone Ranger from we could tell.. Cool tho definetly prime habit for moose or elk... I'll keep a camera with next and post some signs as I'm sure there ol be more

300win
09-22-2014, 08:55 AM
There are Elk in the Nahatlach Valley, East Harrison fsr migrates that way........

Osprey
09-22-2014, 09:07 AM
Elk and moose near the top end of Harrison.

caddisguy
09-22-2014, 09:19 AM
I read someon old article saying there has been some moose spotted out skagit valley, don't elk roll in numbers? This was a Lone Ranger from we could tell.. Cool tho definetly prime habit for moose or elk... I'll keep a camera with next and post some signs as I'm sure there ol be more

Hah... last year I mistook rabbit tracks for moose tracks... but there are moose in the Skagit Valley. Sightings are usually later in the season, but I spoke to a park attendant yesterday who said she saw a cow and a calf on the road in the AM. She stopped to watch them and a another vehicle came behind. Spooked at this point, they started running straight toward her truck and then changed direction at the last second. She seemed to know the difference between elk and moose so I'd consider it credible... surprised they are seen this early in the season, but there are some nice swampy meadows around and less predators than the next valley north. Only the occasional grizz and wolves... just blackbears, and a cougar infestation. The Skagit Valley has a little bit of everything... blacktails, muleys, hybrids, moose,elk, goats, cougars, bobcats, coyotes, blackbears. Probably one of the more difficult places to hunt deer in the province. Lots of hunters, campers, hikers, fisherman, shooters--turning into a bit of a Sylvester Rd--in and around the roads/trails/river but I enjoy climbing and bushwacking around BC's version of the Amazon. Hike and climb for an hour or two away from any road/trail and there's no people sign what-so-ever. Though I suppose that goes with most places. I have 3 cameras in there and it would take a whole weekend to check all 3.

Scouting around earlier in the summer we found this... not sure if it's elk or moose, but I don't think it's a deer. If it is a deer, I'd certainly like to find it ;-P

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/P1010020_zps5a7facba.jpg

Backwoodninjajunky
09-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Yeah we saw the signs at about 34 k just after the air strip up toward the lake, and nahatlach valley is prime habit too... Fo sure beautiful country.... Bc rules!!!!

Backwoodninjajunky
09-22-2014, 09:23 AM
Yep that is exactly the size I'm am referring too, what do you mean when you say hybrid??

caddisguy
09-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Yep that is exactly the size I'm am referring too, what do you mean when you say hybrid??

Hybrid mule/blacktail deer. In reference to the Skagit Valley, technically in deer you shoot there will be considered a mule deer. However, you'll see deer that look more like pure blacktails, others look more like muleys and and some look like both. Hard hunting for sure though. Out of the thousands of hunters hitting that valley every year, you only hear of one or two getting lucky off a road or cutblock. I prefer hunting the jungle because I'm insane.

There's some new slashes up Sowerby FSR getting a little higher in elevation that might be interesting in a few years... heck maybe even now. I'll stick to the creepy bush though.