PDA

View Full Version : Pemby deer help (not honey holes)

ducktoller
09-21-2014, 11:41 PM
Looking for brief advice on pemby deer. Drew a doe tag but since I am going for moose in October as well, I will probably only get a day or two to target one.
Ignoring the option of hunting on private farmland, I was thinking of heading towards Tenquille Lake area from the West Side. Or going farther up the Lilloet towards Meager Creek area and hiking in. Sound areas or no? Would be going mid to late october.
Would only be day tripping. I have family in Whistler and can't resist the free warm bed, meal, and drinks.

I am a rookie hunter but grew up using sea to sky country, so I am familiar with hiking in west coast conditions, bear safety, mountain safety, etc.

killer_shot
09-22-2014, 02:53 AM
just hunt all the south sloped on the north side of lillooet river there will be deer that just live there all the time and then ones migrating back from upper valley by that time. seen lots from valley floor even up into waist deep snow. pretty thick brush so burns cuts and steep rocky areas are your best bet for seeing them
good luck
PS keep your eyes peeled for bears lots and lots out just saw a 500lbs black walking in pemby today and everyone knows grizz hang around the hurley

lovemywinchester
09-22-2014, 08:17 AM
If I remember the locals hunter survey #s, I think the average was 11 days hunting for one buck in Pemby. Not as easy as you may be hoping. Lots of deer around there, just steep, rough country.

ducktoller
09-23-2014, 11:26 AM
y
If I remember the locals hunter survey #s, I think the average was 11 days hunting for one buck in Pemby. Not as easy as you may be hoping. Lots of deer around there, just steep, rough country.

Not expecting much, just hoping for a lot hahah. Never a bad day hiking in the mountains in the fall!

MichelD
09-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Buddy was up there last week. He says there is a ton of industrial activity in the valley.

JasonH
09-23-2014, 12:34 PM
just hunt all the south sloped on the north side of lillooet river

Are you talking about the south slope of Cassiope Peak? Interested in Pemberton too, need to scout around a bit, have been looking on maps

markomoose
09-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Try North Creek/Mac Kenzie basin/Owl Lakes and beyond?I used to do pretty good south of Pemberton.

ducktoller
09-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Try North Creek/Mac Kenzie basin/Owl Lakes and beyond?I used to do pretty good south of Pemberton.

Will do, thanks

killer_shot
09-24-2014, 09:13 PM
They are putting in a huge power project up meager creek road. Honest don't think you would have any better luck up the valley past the hurly pass then south between town and there. that gives you about 25km of mountain side to play on. We know where they winter and they have to pass through that corridor to get there so its good bet at some point they will be living/migrating from alpine to valley floor along that south facing side.
I dont hunt there cause i like to spend my time where its not so thick and the deer are bigger and taste better. But i have lived there spend many many days in the mountains there so i can say for certain they are in that corridor you just have to cover some ground. But there is no for sure with them hybrids I know they migrate to upper valley but then i see a big 4x in velvet just walking on the dike in the evening. No shooting zone of course
Get out there and just start exploring enough time and you will bump them eventually