PDA

View Full Version : flys layingeggs on meat

Fixit
09-21-2014, 08:57 PM
thought everything was all good with this weekends deer, got home, removed quarters from the game bags and the flies had layed eggs where the cheese cloth had stretched thin

is all this meat garbage or just cut away affected area?

any health concerns?

Tuffcity
09-21-2014, 09:01 PM
Wipe it down with vinegar and you are good to go. No need to trim anything.

RC

Chopper
09-21-2014, 10:51 PM
ya times two on tuffcities comment.

Pretty lame but it happens .... straight vinegar for sure

M.Dean
09-22-2014, 10:33 AM
I'd had that happen over the years, as long as they don't hatch and turn into maggots you should be OK. I'd use the garden hose, or pressure washer and wash the quarters real good, dry them, then go over the entire quarters with the vinegar, the meat should be fine as long as you've got a cold place to hang it until it gets cut up.

Just
09-22-2014, 10:42 AM
I've seen guys spray a mixture of viniger and water while cutting and quartering keeps the flys off

Rackmastr
09-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Cheesecloth sucks. Period.

x2 to what the others have said.

cambo
09-22-2014, 11:21 AM
dont buy those cheap game bags to start with go to a butcher supply house and buy bulk stuff!
way better, or some use bed sheets sown into bags

sdurango41
09-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Vinegar is the way to go. After we skin our animals and pick as many hairs or leaves or whatever from the quarters we then wash down the animals with water and vinegar mixture. Then wrap in cheesecloth. Never have any issues.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-22-2014, 11:36 AM
Or you can run over it with a blow torch. Those eggs can make nice little crunchy appetizers!

SSS

dakoda62
09-22-2014, 11:39 AM
I have switched to canvass game bags, with paracord sewn in the draw closer. Absolutely nothing gets in. Still allows the meat to breath.

Jagermeister
09-22-2014, 11:41 AM
Or you can run over it with a blow torch. Those eggs can make nice little crunchy appetizers!

SSS
I concur, those maggoties are only eating what you would've been eating if they had not beat you to it so you might as well eat the maggoties because they are only going to be gamey tasting anyways.

RiverOtter
09-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Used pillow cases work great for deer quarters or boned out elk/moose. Sewn top sheets also work great, if you want to cover larger pieces.

As others have said, vinegar is your friend once you brush the fly eggs off.

M.Dean
09-23-2014, 06:22 AM
I wonder if some of us that haven't had any luck with game bags keeping the flies off the meat are pulling them too tight, causing the mesh holes to widen out, and letting the flies in??? I've even tried using the large bags on deer, the ones marked for "Elk or Moose" and to pull them over a whole deer they stretch real bad also. Buying the bulk rolls of cheese cloth is the answer, you can pull it over a Deer, or big quarters with out it stretching, and letting the maggot makers in!

gunsight
09-23-2014, 06:33 AM
black pepper also works to keep flies off if you don't have vinegar.

Wild Images
09-23-2014, 06:33 AM
Tag Bags !!!

300win
09-23-2014, 07:00 AM
Cheap game bags have always worked for me, the only thing I have used to stop the insects from laying eggs is black pepper over the outside of the bags Works!!

RiverOtter
09-23-2014, 06:51 PM
I don't think some people here understand that the flys don't actually have to touch the meat to transfer their eggs. So long as the newly hatched maggots can pass through the material, you're going to have problems.

Cheese cloth and regular game bags suck, period....

bensonvalley
09-24-2014, 08:12 PM
TAG bags! Passed the test this past week.

Brambles
09-25-2014, 04:24 AM
Tag bags x 3

Surrey Boy
09-25-2014, 05:40 AM
+1 for vinegar wash.

swampthing
09-25-2014, 06:18 AM

SSS

Excellent!!!

jessbennett
09-25-2014, 09:22 PM
several butchers have told me in the past that spraying the meat down with a hose can actually wreck the meat/ make it tougher. supposedly it will make the meat tougher by doing something to the muscle strands. and the moisture can actually promote bacteria. pepper works awsome, and comes of when the plating is removed anyways.

M.Dean
09-25-2014, 11:04 PM
several butchers have told me in the past that spraying the meat down with a hose can actually wreck the meat/ make it tougher. supposedly it will make the meat tougher by doing something to the muscle strands. and the moisture can actually promote bacteria. pepper works awsome, and comes of when the plating is removed anyways. I used to use a garden hose to wash down game animals before, I now use a 2700 psi pressure washer now. I can't really see how using water in any form could make the meat tougher, I know it makes it really cleaner! We dry each quarter off before it go's into the cold room, and depending on how long we hang it for, after about a week we'll wash the meat down with vinegar and water, then dry it, so far no problems.

itsy bitsy xj
09-26-2014, 12:15 AM
Interesting info thanks guys
What are tag bags?

Surrey Boy
09-26-2014, 05:42 AM
I often soak my meat in cold water to leech out blood and other undesired tastes. IME water always mellows the flavour.

Ride Red
09-26-2014, 05:47 AM
That's why I love the later hunting season, no flies to contend with. Getting your meat hung out to form that outer dry layer is what needs to happen. As for water, we've put animals into creeks to cool them down, nothing like an ice cold creek in 25 degree weather.

RiverOtter
09-26-2014, 05:52 AM
Water on a fresh kill is one thing, water on meat that has aged is quite different. The vinegar wipe down is good, a garden hose after meat has hung for a few days, not so much.

Wild Images
09-26-2014, 06:38 AM
http://www.pristineventures.com/products/game-bags.html

Tag Bags