PDA

View Full Version : New hunter in the BC/Van area!

emile
09-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Hello fellow hunters,

Just wanted to say hello.

A little about me:

Grew up hunting with my father from the age of 4 (I have faint memories of following my father through cornfields while his Brittany searched in front). I'm close to my forties now. I've been lucky enough to grow up around English pointers, Brittanies and GSPs.

I'm interested in Quail, Partridge (huns especially), pheasant, grouse, woodcock (my favourite), duck and goose.

I hunt the fields and forests with Juno, my female English pointer (and my avatar). My main shotgun is a 1980s O/U Browning Citori 325 Grade II passed down to me from 2 generations of amazing hunters. On lazy days I'm using a Weatherby SA-08 12ga Deluxe. I am also very proud to wear my father's 1977 Barbour jacket and pants while duck hunting. The smell of the wax on the clothes brings back great memories.

I am told I'm good shot... I say it's my pointer's work, I just follow her ;)

I moved to BC 3 months ago from Quebec and so far so GREAT.

Anyone interested in a regular hunting partner in the lower mainland Delta area do PM me. Anyone in the Okanagan Valley I'll be doing trips out once a month or so (going this weekend!). My pointer can find anything, and it's always more fun to hunt by 2s, share stories, talk shotguns, gundogs, etc.

Cheers everyone! Proud to be a hunter.

Emile

fyffer
09-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Nice to meet you. Looks like a great dog. Pm me if u want to get out. I'm in langley.

Philcott
09-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Salut Emile.

Welcome to BC and to the hunting forum. There's lots of good guys here to talk hunting and dogs with. There's a few breeders and many guys who hunt with dogs.

I'm on Vancouver Island so not much of a partner but you'll soon find one.

It takes 6 months residency in BC to be considered a BC resident and a BC hunter number card is required for buying a license. Once you have the residency status you will need to apply for the hunter number through the BC Wildlife Federation. Before you can apply you need to either have a hunter conservation education card from Quebec (it's accepted here in BC) or you will need to take the BC CORE (Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education) course. It a good idea to take the course even if you already have the Quebec card.

It's nice to hear you carry on your families traditions by wearing the old clothes and carrying the old firearms.

Again, welcome and ask questions here and the forum guys will help.

emile
09-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Hi Philcott!

I'm on a visitor license for now since I haven't been living here long enough. I might be visiting the island thanksgiving weekend for a 3 day trip. Was thinking of hitting the Hidden Valley Conservation Club for a few pheasants (www.hvccbirdhunting.ca) and some random spots for whatever can be found. Anyone have any reviews to share?

For anyone visiting as a hunter, Service BC gave me my visitor licenses for 130$.

emile
09-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Went out to Princeton this weekend.

Found some Chukar, grouse, and to my surprise, pintail and mallard.

Also tried out my Weatherby SA-08 Deluxe 12ga for the first time. The reviews are dead on. Slightly weighted forward but not too much, recoil is practically none (compared to my browning citori O/U). Cycled perfectly through 2 3/4 7 1/2s and 4s (separately of course!).

All in all a great weekend.

Philcott
09-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Nice to hear you got out and enjoyed the back country.

emile
09-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Yup, what a beautiful province. Unbelievable!

300win
09-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Welcome enjoy the backcountry

Argali
09-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Glad you found some birds so quickly. B.C. can be somewhat more difficult to find good bird hunting than the Prairies or East. Also, be aware that just because there are open hunting seasons does not necessarily mean there are birds. The entire Region 3 is open for chukars, huns, ptarmigan, pheasants, doves, and all types of geese ... but that doesn't mean you will find huntable populations of all of these birds in every unit within Region 3.

For those that are wondering, you can hunt birds and small game in B.C. with a non-resident licence without an outfitter. No need to wait 6 months for residency.

emile
09-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Hi argali, first time out was good. Gonna try different spots and see whats going on. I heard there's some fun to be had near coquitlam. Might go see this weekend.