PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Fish Nitnat River This Week? Help, please!!

Sundance1972
09-19-2014, 06:44 AM
Friend of mine was out in the lower section last weekend and tagged out in a couple hrs each day (brought home 12 beauties in the mid 20's to low 30's), so going to take my boy and little brother out this weekend.
I've never fished the river (haven't even been in the lake for about 20 years), are the tidal boundaries clearly marked? Don't know how far up the river is still considered tidal, so want to make sure we're totally legal. I've looked it up online, but not knowing the area, it didn't really help me much.
Going out in a 16' alum which my friend said made it up to the "fishing hole" no problem, maybe a 1/4-1/2 mile upriver?
Guessing there's gonna be a few bears around, so thinking we may want to pack the 12g just in case?

May seem like a few stupid questions, but as mentioned, never done this before so any help/tips etc would be appreciated. Little late to be asking questions, I know, but was a bit of a last minute decision. Just finished fixing buddy's boat last night, and he said "why not take it out this weekend?" Will be heading out Sat afternoon, hopefully get out in time for a fish before dark, and coming home Sun afternoon.

Urban_Trapper
09-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Just a heads up...all of the area surrounding the river (500m either side from the middle of the river) is a no shooting area...I have been told by the CO that if you feel you need to carry a gun on that river go fish somewhere safer....good luck on your fish...I will be up there this weekend giving it a whirl too

slayer B
10-17-2014, 06:55 PM
Well considering the size and aggressive nature of the bears the last time I fished there that CO can piss up a rope. If it's legal to have a gun on my shoulder on that river I'm going to have it. If pepper spray doesn't work I want something that will save my ass not give the officer something to do as he ivestigates my death or mauling. We had the biggest blackie I've seen in my life stalk us last time. It was creepy enough that we left. We were wondering why everyone we talked to asked why we weren't armed. And if the CO says you shouldn't have a gun ask why he didn't leave his in the truck.

steel_ram
10-20-2014, 01:09 PM
I've had bears down there follow up right behind me. Turn around and tell them to shoo! It works. Bears are after the fish, not stinky humans. The CO's would rather (and will) close the area down to humans if the bears are such a hazard that people feel they need to be armed.

Island Idiots
10-20-2014, 01:49 PM
I have fished it in the past. Not sure about this year. I always carry a shotgun with slugs. Yes its a no shooting area. I ran into the co and had that discussion. When he asked me why I had the firearm, I asked him why he had one.
He left me alone after I informed him I knew of the regulations in regard to no shooting zone. If I had to shoot a bear he can ticket me, no problem.
I came very close as we were confronted, charged by an injured bear. Clacking his jaw and very aggressive. Fortunatly my partner was able to chase him away with Bear Spray.