PDA

View Full Version : coho in the stamp yet?

smeegle
09-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Going out to Port Alberni this weekend for a bear hunt. Was wondering if the stamp has many coho showing up yet?

Gone_Fishin_
09-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Going out to Port Alberni this weekend for a bear hunt. Was wondering if the stamp has many coho showing up yet?

Hope this isn't too late of a response for you.

Just got back from Port Alberni. Annual trip with the boys to my hoem town for a week of coho slaying ... well what we though it would be as per previous years.

The bulk of the run has yet to show, water is low and beyond clear. Tonz of coho in the system but getting them to bite is a whole different story. We started down low as per usual around the slide pool below the falls and found nothing, just a few shooting up here and there. Went down to angle rock and same thing. Managed to pull a few out on charteuse blue fox spoons #5. Worked our way up to black rock and managed a wack load of coloured up springs, lots... all on a tiny pc of red/flash wool. Continued working our way up and plucked out a few more on spoons here and there. We found as in previous years the only way to get them to bite is in fast moving seams of water with small red wool on a #4 hook with 8lb flourocarbon leader.

Over 5 days worked our way up to monies. Lots of fish holding here but nothing to bite. Only guys flossing them with 8' leaders in the top end of the pool. Its low enough at monies that you can cross and work your way down the other side, nice run down here by the way after you pass monies pool and around the corner. Lots of springs to be had as they will bite but the coho are tighter lipped than anything i've encountered before.

Monies did however produce us 8 steelhead, 2 hatchs and 6 wilds. Biggest about 12lbs. Gorgeous fish, caught on wool combinations in peach/red/white colorations.

Hope this helps and isnt too late for a response.

tinhorse
09-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Some good heavy rain here today and last night. I am expecting great things on the river here in the next few days. If I were to come up for the fishing this weekend (sept 27/28) would be the one I would go for.