PDA

View Full Version : Moose Calls

BIGHUNTERFISH
03-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I was wondering how many of you guys have had alot of success calling in bull moose? and what your prefered calls are.My dad is a great moose caller and only uses his hands, to see a rutting bull moose come into a call is an awesome sight,I can hardly wait to put in my lehs.:lol:

mntman
03-11-2007, 08:24 PM
do alot of calling, along with scents and paddles, nothing gets the heart going like staring into a big bulls eyes and watching the drool flow from his mouth then you have to wonder is he going to freight train your a##

30-06
03-11-2007, 08:42 PM
I Do The Scents And The calls..the Birch Bark Calls You Can Pick Up From Canadian Tire Work Wonders.You Just Need Practice Practice Practice.Cant Forget To Give That Nostrial kinda sound.i dont know how to exmplain it.but the birch bark.even a pilon works.

mntman
03-11-2007, 08:50 PM
pringal chip tube and a string work great also

.308win
03-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Been hunting Moose for 15yrs....Started back East(NFLD) with my dad and uncles, all we ever used were our hands. The last Moose i got to call in(due to LEH draw) was in 2003, actully it was my hunting buddies LEH...We meet up on a friday evening after work on our way home went to a nice open cut block and started calling, three cow calls in we hear him but don't get to see him due to night fall, so the plan is to come back at first light....Will we beat first light by about 1.5hrs, about 3.5hrs of cow calls(could hear him but not see)switch to cow calls mixed with bull grunts for about a hour, and then about 4.5hrs after first light we put him on the ground, not the biggest spread(39in) but dressed 650lbs at the butcher(Alot more to the story just tying to keep it short!).....
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p101/newfieguy1/moose.jpg?t=1173671221

30-06
03-11-2007, 08:55 PM
i was using a lohman moose call this past season and i had three callin back to me all in diffrent directions.went back that night with more hunting partners and did some calling nothing.luck of the draw i guess

steveo32
03-11-2007, 09:04 PM
I have been guiding for 4 years and never used a call yet except my hands and a skupla from a dead moose to rake on the brush. Nothing better then a monster bull charging in to a lonely love sick cow call :)

steve

Caveman
03-11-2007, 09:18 PM
I have never used anything but my hands and mouth. Some pretty good success. This past season I had a bull come running down the road right at me. Funny thing is I called from my buddy's truck with engine running. I looked at him and said you know this could work better with the engine off. :lol: He came within about thirty yards before he thought something was up. I then proceeded to walk up the road to him using that little thoaty bark they use and got within fifteen yards of him for about five minutes.

srupp
03-11-2007, 10:08 PM
interestingthread..I have called moose in for many many years using only my mouth and cupped hands..

Last year on TESLIN lake I called and a bull ran out beside a large obvious rock..next day we USED GPS and found from that rock to where I was sitting was 5.03 KILOMETERS...and the moose came to that spot from further back in the bush:lol:

Later that nite we "shook the shit tree" and called at the top of our lungs as LOUD as we could...about 2 am a very large cow moose showed up 60 FEET from our boat where we were sleeping and she proceeded to call..well the volume was incredible ... easily 4x-6x the volume we were using earlier..the loud calling was echoing off the surounding hills.

Usually we see the bulls coming in from up to 2 kilometers...and they get as close as 40 feet when we are in camo...

Most all of our hunts are northern BC bt float plane..

Steven

Nails
03-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Calling with my cupped hands with that nasal sound, this method kept two bulls attention, for the fatal shot this fall.

Tinney
03-11-2007, 10:57 PM
I call in my share of bulls each year with my voice so I figure to keep on doing that.

My question is this: You've got a bull on a hot cow, he's grunting back at you, you can't see him but he's about 400-500 yards out. You cow call, he grunts back....but won't come in......I tried grunting back but he still wouldn't budge....I never did see this bull.....any ideas on how to get him to come? Or is he too hard for he cow he's got with him?

moosecaller
03-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Hiway safety cone had it for about 30 years now it has NEVER let me down. I do the bull,cow and calf call what ever the need is in the particular situation.

moosecaller
03-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Timney walk toward the bull and call (bull calls), watch the wind ,he will come running when you have crossed that line, the line he has established and will let no one come past without a fight, then hang on and let him have it. There are many other things you could do this is just one option, years of practice and listening and learning will go a long way to talking to moose.

Tinney
03-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Coudn't walk to him or I would have. He was in the thickest willow jungle you have ever seen....which stretched for about 300 yards between us.

Mattimoose
03-12-2007, 03:26 AM
This past fall, I spent the first few days of rifle season with my partner doing a cow call with me ahead of him. Some small bulls were heard moving in the thick stuff but wouldn't show themselves. On the third day it rained like hell, and in the evening we went-out and changed are strategy where my partner and I were about 60 yards apart. He would make 3 evenly spaced cow calls, and I would wait 2 or 3 minutes and give a couple of breathy grunts like an old bull.

A young bull was moving 2 or 300 yards away but wouldn't show himself. Just before dark, I could hear him moving down the hill I had my back to, but when he walked through my telescope, it was close enough to dark that I couldn't be sure of horns in that instant. I held-off as he was coming right to my partner anyways as he was a hot young cow right?
He had circumnavigated me, the old bull as I sounded out of his league I guess. my partner had trouble making-out horns also but when the young bull turned his head from side -to-side to look for the cow, my partner aw the horns and planted one behind the shoulder with His Ruger Number One RSI in .30-06. The Moose didn't react and stood there momentarily still looking for the cow I guess and my partner waited for a few more seconds before putting a second round in behind his ear, dropping him like a stone. The first round was enough, but was taking too long to be sure. Better safe than sorry.

srupp
03-12-2007, 04:25 AM
I use cow calls 90% of the time..as it is the "season of love " 8-)... If the bull already has a cow in those thick willows ..he "may " come out for another cow but not for a bull...not for a fight and walking up will only push em off further away..

Keep in nasal in tone and very "seductive pleading "he WILL stick his head out eventually...

Dozens and dozens of bulls over 30 years most all have been cow called in....

Ive seen video from Sask. CALLING USING BULL GRUNTS...but as long as the cow calls work????
Sometimes nothing works untill its t6oo dark to shoot...

Steven

hunter1947
03-12-2007, 04:40 AM
I do exactly like your dad does ,i use my hands with the air from my lungs ,works great. hunter 1947.

Bushman
03-12-2007, 05:35 AM
Timney walk toward the bull and call (bull calls), watch the wind ,he will come running when you have crossed that line, the line he has established and will let no one come past without a fight, then hang on and let him have it. There are many other things you could do this is just one option, years of practice and listening and learning will go a long way to talking to moose.

Moosecaller knows what he's talking about here.

To gain wilderness knowledge I don't think there's anything better than getting out in the bush and learning the language from the animals themselves.

I have been calling moose for about 30 years now and I think one of the most important points that I have learned is not to over do it with your calls.

Start in the morning by calling softly using only your cupped hands and lower toned voice. You never know when a bull will be close.

If you don't get an answer after 20 or 30 minutes you can then call a little louder using your horn-type call.

During the rut bull moose will come to the call from great distances. Always keep an ear open for answers to your call. Don't worry about a bull moose not being able to find you as they can pinpoint your call from several miles away.

A canoe paddle can be used to rake the bushes to imitate the sounds of a bull's antlers. It can also be used as challenge to older bulls that won't answer the call but will hit their antlers against a tree in reply to your call.

You can also use your horn to imitate a moose walking in the water or a cow moose urinating. Both sounds have a powerful draw to a rutting bull.

In my books there is little to compare to the rush you get when calling in any wild game.

Good Huntin'
Bushman

Sitkaspruce
03-12-2007, 06:27 AM
Make my own BB calls and also use my cupped hands and mouth.

I start off with my hands and call softly, then switch to the BB and see I we can't "reach out and touch somebody". I find one of the keys for me is to wait in one spot and do not move so much. Last year I called in 15 different bulls in 4 days while guiding. The ones we shot all took over an hour before we heard them and up to another hour to get them in range. I use cow calls 95% of the time and a big stick to beat the brush everyonce and a while.

MB_Boy
03-12-2007, 07:59 AM
My question is this: You've got a bull on a hot cow, he's grunting back at you, you can't see him but he's about 400-500 yards out. You cow call, he grunts back....but won't come in......I tried grunting back but he still wouldn't budge....I never did see this bull.....any ideas on how to get him to come? Or is he too hard for he cow he's got with him?

Tinney....if have a partner with you, have them let out a soft cow call. I have done this a few times and it tricked the old guy into thinking there was more than one cow there. If on your own....try changing the pitch of your call a bit.

MB_Boy
03-12-2007, 08:02 AM
For me....I also make my own birchbark horns, and also use the scapula from a moose to rake the bushes if need be. I have just found with the horns I can really let it wail out and make different acoustics. Such as directing a soft cow call down and away from a bull if you have on coming in. Regardless we have had lots of success and calling is how we spend 90% of our time moose hunting.

300WM
03-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Cupped hands while pinching your nose (helps get that nasal effect). I will switch between cow and bull depending on the responses or lack there of, I'm getting. While imitating bull grunts I will rake willows/trees with an old moose shoulder blade and splash in any lake/puddle, etc. that may be around. I have had great success using these methods.

Tinney
03-12-2007, 11:38 AM
I tried everything I could think of, even moving to where I had less of a shooting lane and calling again. Calling softer, calling louder, grunting agressively, nothing. All he would do is sit there and grunt back at me. He was hung up and would not budge. Never had that happen before.

Schmaus
03-12-2007, 12:08 PM
I tried everything I could think of, even moving to where I had less of a shooting lane and calling again. Calling softer, calling louder, grunting agressively, nothing. All he would do is sit there and grunt back at me. He was hung up and would not budge. Never had that happen before.

Put it this way: You just got out of the Cadillac one night with a very hot new lady friend, just as you are across the street and stepping into a cab some other guy starts calling for her to go with him. Do you get back out of the cab and go fight with him or do you just simply close the door and go home with the girl. Sometimes those bulls just seem to know that they got a good thing and they don't wanna risk losin it.http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/biggrin5.gif

steveo32
03-12-2007, 03:12 PM
I have only had bulls hang up when they have more then one girlfriend:lol: I can normally get them to push the one cow they have and come and try and scoop another but it normally ends with them leaking and my client with a smile

steve

browningboy
03-12-2007, 09:54 PM
I use just my hands, but the pringle tubes work well, and defineately don't stay in one spot when calling and don't call too much, depending on the time of the rut or pre/after, you can just scare them off and just bring in satelites etc..
One call that works for the camp clown, stick a auto tranny funnel in his butt and fart, it can either grunt like hell or the sweet sound of the cow!!

gameslayer
03-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Like most of you I use my hands pinched nose somtimes for the cow then switch it up with bull calls. Had somthing funny happen this year on 2 seperate occasions I had cows come in late in October. It was last day on the open any bull sason it came in and locked up broadside on a path. Dam near killed her. She ran around and circled me got my sent then pissed off. Any of you guys have Cows come in, I am used to bulls and never thought I would see a cow come in. They get lonley too:)

Jimbo
03-12-2007, 10:32 PM
When that "bull" hangs up and won't come in, maybe it's because he hiked in from another cut block !?!?

Will
03-12-2007, 10:50 PM
When that "bull" hangs up and won't come in, maybe it's because he hiked in from another cut block !?!?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

srupp
03-12-2007, 11:20 PM
LMAO @ WILL...now THATS funny...:lol:

sEVERAL YEARS AGO on the Jennings Lake we watched numerous bulls high on the hill getting seduced by the cows and heading into the trees..aka hotel room...8-) it was a education watching all the cows try to get the bulls attention and finally heading off for some action....

No way you were going to get those bulls to come to our calling..much too good a thing they already had...

Steven

reach
03-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Are there any web sites or videos you guys recommend with audio samples of various moose calls and descriptions of where they would be used?

moosecaller
03-13-2007, 12:11 AM
There are some good videos out there one guy from Ontario who uses a paper mache moose head and a french women (who got stomped to death by a moose) But nothing beats going out with someone who knows their stuff and doing it first hand!! Not a weekend warrior type; someone with a lot of years under their belt, listen and learn. There are more ways to entice a moose than any video I have ever seen. It's the personal touch that you can only find from a true master.

Tinney
03-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Could have been another hunter but I don't think so :lol:

If some idiot tried to take my woman at the caddy, it would depend on the rye intake for the night if I fought him or not :lol:

Schmaus
03-13-2007, 03:56 AM
If some idiot tried to take my woman at the caddy, it would depend on the rye intake for the night if I fought him or not

Too bad the moose don't have access to rye or we'd be able to get them out every time.

Tinney
03-13-2007, 10:09 AM
:lol: Mmmmm marinade

Phil
03-13-2007, 12:37 PM
I use a small bucket with a leather cord in the middle. It sounds good as long as the cord is wet. I experimented with a few different sizes but never tried the pringle container. I'll try that next time I have an empty one.

Gus
03-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Could have been another hunter but I don't think so :lol:

If some idiot tried to take my woman at the caddy, it would depend on the rye intake for the night if I fought him or not :lol:

Everybody knows you drink coolers tough guy

30-06
03-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Are there any web sites or videos you guys recommend with audio samples of various moose calls and descriptions of where they would be used?

I Have A Moose Calling Tape I Got With Mine.It Was Very Educational

jwe63
03-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Do any of you guys use CD's or DVD instructional videos to learn the calls? I'm new to moosin', but have 20 years experience hunting deer. Which video is the best? There seem to be lots available from SIR and Wholesale sports.

quadrakid
03-13-2007, 06:50 PM
if your new to calling moose get an instructional cd or vid, they are all pretty good. learn to do a cow call and your off to the races. don,t worry about sounding perfect,we are talking about calling in a bull moose during the rut,not your most intelligent creature.very important to pick the right spot to call from and stay put for awhile,it can take bullwinkle awhile to get to you,be patient. as for cows coming,i had a cow cross the road in front of me so i thought i,d call, that cow came out of the bush straight to me,i,ve got the pics to prove it,i finally jumped back in truck when she was about fifteen yards from me.

gameslayer
03-13-2007, 09:59 PM
There are some good videos out there one guy from Ontario who uses a paper mache moose head and a french women (who got stomped to death by a moose) But nothing beats going out with someone who knows their stuff and doing it first hand!! Not a weekend warrior type; someone with a lot of years under their belt, listen and learn. There are more ways to entice a moose than any video I have ever seen. It's the personal touch that you can only find from a true master.

I watched that same Video with the French Lady moose biologist. She is good, I learned a lot from that. I tried one of her moves on a Bull that charged in about 50 yards from the bush and stood about 15 yards in front of me straight on behind the only X-mass tree in the swamp. I had no shot so but my gun on my head like a rake and slow waved back and forth. The bull instantly starting swagering his head rolled his eyes back and stepped out from behind the tree ready to fight. I shot him in the neck. Most exciing hunt I have ever had. He charged me after and i shot him between the eyes. Dam near s--- my pants.:lol:

MB_Boy
03-14-2007, 12:37 PM

I will just leave it at this again........I have Marc's permission to sell my Dad's videos and CD's on the site....I have just been too lazy to post it up.

My Dad spent many years with Tony Bubenik (sp?) in Ontario with his moose head.........my Dad has now been doing the same thing in MB for about 15 years. Every year I see new footage and I am just waiting to see video of him on the ground with a bull kickin' his ass. He has already been sh*tkicked by a cow moose while photographing, but it is his passion. If you see a tall.....real tall fellow on National Geographic, Discovery or Animal Planet walking around with a 'mache' moose head strapped to his chest.......just wish him well. :) :)

MB_Boy
03-14-2007, 12:47 PM
I I had no shot so but my gun on my head like a rake and slow waved back and forth. The bull instantly starting swagering his head rolled his eyes back and stepped out from behind the tree ready to fight. I shot him in the neck. Most exciing hunt I have ever had. He charged me after and i shot him between the eyes. Dam near s--- my pants.:lol:

When you can see the white in their eyes and the head starts swaggering/rocking........pucker up and get ready for love because it takes a lot to snap them out of the 'trance' they go into. I too have seen it at far too close of a distance.

elkguide
03-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Been guiding moose for 10 years and hunting them for 20.....never used a call to date.....always have a shoulder bone with me to rake with and call with my hands ( don't call to often). When I call I call out once quiet once loud, and then moan once then shut up for 30-45min. I've seen bulls come from along ways away when they hear that moan. THE MOAN SHOULD BE A LONG CALL DROWNED OUT AT THE END.