PDA

View Full Version : Ages for legal hunting?

TravisC
03-11-2007, 08:03 PM
i was just intrested in the complete rules to how old you have to be to take the core test (and if there is a tester in squamish?). also as to what the full rules are for a youth to be carring a rifle and kill under my tags and at what age they are able to carry their own tags. I have read these regs be fore but i cant find them and cant remember the full details.

.308win
03-11-2007, 08:24 PM
i was just intrested in the complete rules to how old you have to be to take the core test (and if there is a tester in squamish?). also as to what the full rules are for a youth to be carring a rifle and kill under my tags and at what age they are able to carry their own tags. I have read these regs be fore but i cant find them and cant remember the full details.

For a youth to kill under your tag he/she must be between the age of 10-13, 13yrs and older(to 19yrs) they must do the core to hunt, and hold a hunting licence, but in saying this i "THINK" youths can do the core at 10yrs?!!

Schmaus
03-11-2007, 08:42 PM
I did the core when I was 11 and then i could buy my own license and tags and leh entries. I had to hunt under adult supervision until I had my PAL when I was 19 though.

Pete
03-11-2007, 08:47 PM
AT 10 years of age a young person can take the CORE course or challange to get their hunter number. The course is designed for a 14 year old student in grade 8. I have found that over the years the younger students really struggle with the class to the point that it does not become a positive learning experence, but there are exceptions to every situation. I recommend that the younger hunters continue to hunt with a responsible adult on a junior licence until they are 12 - 14 years of age then take a course which will round out their hunting experiences.
Cheers
Pete

30-06
03-11-2007, 08:52 PM
10 years =CORE
19 years=PAL
19 years=Hunting No Supervision
10-14=Junior License Hunting Under Your Tags

i dont beleive you need your PAL to hunt on your own do you?

.308win
03-11-2007, 08:59 PM
10 years =CORE
19 years=PAL
19 years=Hunting No Supervision
10-14=Junior License Hunting Under Your Tags

Think you need PAL holder along, not sure though, but to buy, borrow, sell,barter or possess a gun you need a PAL....guess that means you need a PAL holder along hey!!....LOL!

30-06
03-11-2007, 09:01 PM
guess so eh

cowboy-up69
03-11-2007, 09:16 PM

Yup you do, if you didnt have it, you'd be screwed

J_T
03-11-2007, 09:24 PM
I don't have a valid PAL, and neither do my kids. A PAL is NOT required to hunt.

It might be required to carry a rifle, but it is not required to hunt. There is a distinction.

sirttt
03-11-2007, 09:54 PM
i think u can get a junior pal at 14 my girl just got hers and she is 14
so she can hunt alone

Mulie_Hunter
03-11-2007, 10:12 PM
i think u can get a junior pal at 14 my girl just got hers and she is 14
so she can hunt alone

No she can't, The PAL is a licence to posess and obtain firearms, regulated by the federal government. The wildlife act which is British Columbian legislation states that no person under the age of 19 can hunt unsupervised. If she is checked by a C.O(an officer under the wildlife act) the PAL means nothing, he will see she is underage and whoever is has signed the acknowledgement of responisbilty attached to her hunting licence will be fined( I'm guessing that is you).

JoshLedoux
03-11-2007, 10:17 PM
there would be no acknowledgement of responsibility on her license because it is her license she could easily have pol which would allow her to hunt alone with firearms but not own firearms

Mulie_Hunter
03-11-2007, 10:21 PM
there would be no acknowledgement of responsibility on her license because it is her license she could easily have pol which would allow her to hunt alone with firearms but not own firearms

All persons under the age of 19 who wish to obtain a Hunting Licence in BC MUST have an acknowledgement of responsibility attached to there hunting licence, or they will not be issued a hunting licence, and if they are through the ignorance of the issuing party then the vendor is responsible.

Pete
03-12-2007, 06:22 PM
I don't have a valid PAL, and neither do my kids. A PAL is NOT required to hunt.

It might be required to carry a rifle, but it is not required to hunt. There is a distinction.
Hi JT You are correct that you do not need a PAL to hunt, for example if you hunt with a Bow. However if one hunts with a firearm one is required to have the appropriate licence. The difference lies in one licence being Federal and one being Provincial.

30-06
03-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Yup you do, if you didnt have it, you'd be screwed

didnt think you did because my brother craig and friends mitch gunn take us out an di dont beleive either have a PAL..well i know craig dosent

cowboy-up69
03-12-2007, 08:52 PM
didnt think you do because my brother craig and friends mitch gunn take us out an di dont beleive either have a PAL..well i know craig dosent

Read the post above yours. Only thing I found in the regs is that it says buying a hunting licence does not let you get to carry a firearm. I didnt look any closer because I only read the regs online and I hate that. But Im 99% sure that you have to have a PAL or a POL to carry a firearm at any time, being out in the bush huntin or transporting them somewhere or even owning one. If anyone knows any different, let me know plz!!

30-06
03-12-2007, 09:49 PM
ya i read it..wow it says you dont.thats what mine says dose it not

30-06
03-12-2007, 09:50 PM
messed up the "DO" And "DID"

Mulie_Hunter
03-12-2007, 10:02 PM
This topic is fairly unclear for several reasons, Its all depends on who checks you the RCMP or a Conservation officer. For example if you are checked by the RCMP they want to see the proper paperwork for your Firearms(PAL's Registration certs shit like that) and they will probably want to see your hunting licence if you are in posession of any wildlife. On the other hand if you are checked by a C.O then they want to see your hunting licence and all applicable tags, I have been stopped by C.O's that didn't even ask for my PAL (I later asked him if they wanted to see it, and his response was something to the nature of "that has nothing to do with the Wildlife act") Now if you stopped in a game check then prepare to pony up paperwork until your blue in the face, because both the police and conservation officers will be present.

Also if you look on the first page of your hunting lisence you will find a passage that reads " this Licence Allows the bearer to Hunt wildlife and carry a Firearm Under the Wildlife Act", or something like that, I'm too lazy to go and find my licence and type it up word for word.

abbyfireguy
03-13-2007, 05:32 PM
But the end result is ,no one 14 yrs old is allowed to hunt alone period....
Any vendor who issued a hunting license to a 14 yr old without attaching the proper acknowledgement is wrong and risk loosing their vendors license. A person under the age of 19 cannot sign for their own license as the person of responsibility,plain and simple as they are not of legal age..
Besides,,,I for one wouldn't leave my 14 year old to hunt on his/her own...they don't have the size or experience to deal with the potential $hit that might walk out of the bush in front of them and want to eat them...:-(

sirttt
03-13-2007, 05:44 PM
my bad you all are right she cant hunt by her self. so heres the next ? her junior pal not pol what is it good for . im new so dont shoot

jwe63
03-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Does this mean that teenagers must take the Cdn Firearms course (to get a PAL) AND take the CORE to get their hunter number? My son is 11 and has expressed an interest in hunting soon.

Mulie_Hunter
03-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Does this mean that teenagers must take the Cdn Firearms course (to get a PAL) AND take the CORE to get their hunter number? My son is 11 and has expressed an interest in hunting soon.

Teenagers must complete the Core by Age 14 (because after 14 they are no longer able to obtain a junior hunting licence); However they need only have completed the CFSC by the time they reach age 19, Now they're is another discrepency in the law here, you see Once an individual reaches 18 they can apply for a PAL, This allows them to own and obtain firearms at age 18. In BC the government still considers an 18 year old a child that may not hunt on thier own. So when it comes down to it,its a convoluted bunch of shit, because you can possess and own guns at the age of 18, but you can't hunt solo until your 19.

.308win
03-13-2007, 08:49 PM
my bad you all are right she cant hunt by her self. so heres the next ? her junior pal not pol what is it good for . im new so dont shoot

Never heard of a junior PAL, But if it's the same as an ordinary PAL(POL no longer exists, if yo have one now when you renew you will get a PAL) basically you need a PAL to buy, sell, borrow, Barter and possess a firearm, also just noticed on the back of the PAL card you need it to acquire a crossbow!

TravisC
03-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Thanks guys ...got a little off track there but a great debate here.
I have been out sighting in my rifles with a friend of mine he is a rcmp officer any ways from what i have gathered from him is that the pal and hunting licences babble is you can hunt with a rifle without a pal. but you can't own, borrow, buy .....blablabla without a pal. A good example he gave me was like you car insurance you need it when your on a highway or parked on a street or to get from your house to the off road. However you Do Not require insurance to own or to be offroading. Just like the hunting licence you do not need it to hunt but to own or to transport from spot to spot where you become part of the highway then you need it.....Damn Confusing so that your answer you dont need it to hunt but you do need it if you want to get to your hunting spot if hunting alone. Crazy.:frown: ...now back to my first question or other then the youth sfuff does anyone know of a C.O.R.E spot in squamish or a tester there ?

Trapper
03-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Try this link for the list of core examiners

http://www.bcwf.bc.ca/documents/s=66/bcw1119484027064/examinerlist.pdf

TravisC
03-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Thats an awesome list thanks...too bad no squamish i guess im gonna have to find another way my nefew kives there in in maple ridge maybe he'll have to come stay with me for a couple sessions get him all trainded up for the test he can callange it .

greasysidedown
03-16-2007, 02:54 PM
So if a youth can't get a PAL untill 18, and you need one to buy, borrow, sell or barter, how can youth legally even carry a gun and hunt?
Is there a clause in the PAL regs for youth?

Mr. Dean
03-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Isn't it OK for a non-papered person to shoot/handle a firearm as long as they are under the imediate supervision of a papered person?

cowboy-up69
03-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Isn't it OK for a non-papered person to shoot/handle a firearm as long as they are under the imediate supervision of a papered person?

Yes, your right.

.308win
03-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Yes, your right.

This is rigth a friend i worked with last year was waiting for his PAL, because I had a valid PAL he was legal to hunt, as long as we were together.