PDA

View Full Version : Gannett lake

martyonthewater
09-18-2014, 12:47 PM
So it looks like we have settled on Gannet lake north east of Adams lk this year as our base camp location
In reading most of the threads and posts I can find on this area it seems there is not much info on the area newer than a few yrs old. My question is what are the roads in the area like and how overgrown can I expect the area to be? Thanks for any feedback. Marty

martyonthewater
09-18-2014, 12:48 PM
We will be going the first week of October btw

martyonthewater
09-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Wow. Nothing?

Kowabunga
09-19-2014, 05:45 AM
We work in this area doing block/road layout for Adams Lake Lumber. The roads are pretty good with access through to Tsikwustum to the south and onto Rock Creek/ Michel Creek. Pretty rough in spots because some are winter roads, so watch for holes and rocks in that grass. There is plenty of area to the west up Burton, Fisher and North Honeymoon, along the west and northwest parts of the lake.

As far as game goes, there are Mule deer and some Whitetail in the area. The moose are there, but so are the wolves (have seen lots of tracks in Gannett area). I could provide more info if you have a more defined plan. Best of luck.

martyonthewater
09-19-2014, 07:50 AM
Thanks Kowabunga. Was expecting to hear there's wolves there. Doesn't seem to be anywhere in upper region 3 they aren't lol. Area is a little new to me so thx for the sight Intel.

martyonthewater
09-19-2014, 07:57 AM
That area around tsikwustum sure looks swampy. Are the cutblocks still reasonably open? I'll have both my young boys with me this year. Not there first hunt but first time coming to moose camp. Was hoping to set a few ground blinds in around the swampy cutblock areas along tree lines. Just hoping there's reasonable visibility across those cuts

Kowabunga
09-19-2014, 05:09 PM
There are quite a few new blocks in that area (Tsikwustum). Some are just at the top of the hill to the south of Gannett, and accessed by driving to the east and then around to the south from Gannett. You can also get there from 8-km on the 40-RD up Michel Ck, or up Rock Creek (9-1/4, 40-RD). The 40-RD is the mainline along the east side of the lake. You will be going to 4-km to turn off to Gannett.

I am not sure how open it is right close to Tsikwustum, but if you are using Google Earth you can see the openings that are composed of meadow and swamp. Also, check out the images on Bing Maps if you haven't as they have some of the more recent blocks that Google Earth may not.

martyonthewater
09-20-2014, 07:41 AM
Great info. Thanks so much.

blackford
09-20-2014, 08:18 AM
Make sure you have plenty of fuel for that area. The nearest gas station is far...

i have a friend who has hunted that area and they do well.

martyonthewater
09-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Sage advice. Thx. We have 8 good sized jerry cans of diesel. Will be filling up at squilax gas then heading up from there. Got a full week of hunting to do. I know daytime temps can still be pretty high this time of year. Should we be concerned with extremely warm temps?

blackford
09-20-2014, 09:38 AM
first light and last light..

Basically hope for some change in this weather... When you going?

REMINGTON JIM
09-20-2014, 09:54 AM
So it looks like we have settled on Gannet lake north east of Adams lk this year as our base camp location
In reading most of the threads and posts I can find on this area it seems there is not much info on the area newer than a few yrs old. My question is what are the roads in the area like and how overgrown can I expect the area to be? Thanks for any feedback. Marty

Good LUCK - lots of WOLVES in that area i HEAR ! RJ

martyonthewater
09-20-2014, 10:05 AM
We're there 1st week of Oct. With wolves it seems they are everywhere in upper region 3. With any luck we will be able to take a few out of the mix and also come home with some sort of venison lol

blackford
09-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Don't forget your moose tags. It's open for immy's

ditch donkey
09-20-2014, 11:08 AM
Just went up the rock creek rd, and around the lake. Roads were all open no washouts or blowdown. Nice moose area around those swamps. Should be good access for walking or quadding.

REMINGTON JIM
09-20-2014, 11:14 AM
We're there 1st week of Oct. With wolves it seems they are everywhere in upper region 3. With any luck we will be able to take a few out of the mix and also come home with some sort of venison lol

That would be GREAT ! Good Luck ! :wink: RJ

martyonthewater
09-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the scouting report DD. The swamps in the area area what caught my eye when scouting google for an area to focus on. Really looking fwd to getting my feet on the ground there

martyonthewater
09-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Well only 4 more sleeps till go time. Made my list, checked it twice and rifles are all sighted in nicely. Added a few tips and waypoints into my pocket journal and feel just about as ready to go as possible. I'd like to thank Kowabunga, Ditch Donkey, blackford and Remington Jim for there feedback and advice. Much appreciated. Good luck to all of you this year and if we ever have the chance to meet I'll gladly buy the coffee or beer. Cheers-Marty

blackford
09-27-2014, 09:39 AM
go get em!