PDA

View Full Version : 7-9 prince george

Trevorg
09-18-2014, 07:16 AM
Can anyone tell me where the southern end of 7-9 starts
I can look at the regs and I dont see anything really defining the boundary.
Heading up that way tomorrow to try and figure out my dads private land antlerless elk draw and I dont really know where to start looking. Im assuming there would be elk through the whole region. Any suggestions where to start would be appreciated.

BCrams
09-18-2014, 07:49 AM
You re in it tough. Your best bet is around community of Willow River but getting permission is a whole other ball game.

Elk are in pockets in this country and hard to hunt.

moosecamp
09-18-2014, 07:51 AM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/docs/mu_maps/east%20central.pdf

Trevorg
09-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Is there much private ranch land in the area?

markomoose
09-18-2014, 11:07 AM
Is there much private ranch land in the area?
There is a fair chunk of private land but as BCRAMS said your're in tough on that one.Only ever seen 2 cows in seven years.

Trevorg
09-18-2014, 02:39 PM
I dont expect it to be easy but gotta do what I can to at least try for success.

BCrams
09-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Better use of time would be to change plans and drive the extra 3 hrs to chetwynd and hunt the cow elk / 3 pt bull season in the peace. (seriously!!)

canadiancon
09-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Hunted 7-9 lots never have seen any elk, as others have suggested head north

markomoose
09-19-2014, 02:35 AM
Better use of time would be to change plans and drive the extra 3 hrs to chetwynd and hunt the cow elk / 3 pt bull season in the peace. (seriously!!)
You could come up and try for immys but if you are set on elk BCrams has the answer!(Seriously)

Eastbranch
09-19-2014, 09:15 AM
These guys are giving you a bit of a line of BS here. There are lots of elk in 7-9, especially the north end. Getting permission is a challenge but not impossible. Willow river is a very religious, tight little community that doesn't let very many outsiders in. And frankly, the elk up there aren't on private land much. But I know a guy who got permission to shoot one on the links of maggie may golf course last winter. The horse ranchers in bellos (between buckhorn and red rock) usually have a few around as well and have allowed hunters in the past. The southern boundary of 7-9 on highway 97 is hixon creek, and there is a lot of farm/ranch country down there as well.

Trevorg
09-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Thank you arctic red ill check those spots this weekend

billjc33
09-19-2014, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't say a lot of BS. Most of these private properties have line ups of friends and families wanting to hunt and permission is nearly impossible. To actually confirm a large property to hunt in region 7-9 that actually has consistent elk population on it is a daunting task. Like was previously said you only have to drive 3 more hours to Chethole and the elk hunting is open for anything but small bulls and is way easier.

Eastbranch
09-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Line ups of friends and family? There are 12 late season tags for the whole unit. It's not a high priority hunt for anyone. The elk are spread out a bit but it's not like the peace region where every landowner is inundated with calls and illegal access. Most of the farmers are pretty easygoing and if they don't have problems with elk, they will tell you who does.

markomoose
09-19-2014, 01:32 PM
A co-worker who lives in Stone Creek and jet boats the Fraser frequentally watched a heard of elk last fall.They swam across the river back and forth every couple a days to feed in the farmers field.Unfortunately that farmer dislikes hunters.

billjc33
09-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Its not that its a late season hunt. This is PG everyone hunts and getting permission to hunt someones fall hunting ground in the winter doesn't make it much easier.

natebavis
09-19-2014, 11:42 PM
lots of help here. Nice job guys. Enjoy your hunt!!

beeker
09-21-2014, 09:22 PM
can't comment on the elk populations in the area, but for the management units i recommend downloading the Hunt Buddy Bc app to your phone and paying the extra for the maps. it will show you all of the boundaries as well as marks your gps coordinates even without cell service.

Jesse_01
09-24-2014, 08:01 AM
I know of the rough location of 4 heards around pg. Would take a person a few days to track them down though.

Best bet would be to head north. Have a lot better chance finding something. There has been a handful of 6x6 takin within 30mins of pg.

Trevorg
09-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Dont need a 6x6 just a flat top. Hopefully I can get some cooperative locals. Seen some pretty nice looking spots but not many doors that got opened.

junkyard_g
09-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Definetly more elk in the north end of the unit. Worked in the buckhorn area (south end) and only seen elk 3 times in 3 years of logging. 2 of those were on crown land anyway.

Jesse_01
09-24-2014, 05:13 PM
Lots of predators in the Buckhorn area. Stay towards the nw side of 7-9. A jet boat or seadoo would help you out. That is about the best information I can give you.