PDA

View Full Version : Canada Geese

Spy
09-17-2014, 08:29 PM
What is the the best way to clean and cook them? Pluck them skin them or just take the breasts? How do you prepare them, any recipes would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance :-)

Foxton Gundogs
09-17-2014, 09:03 PM
We take the breasts and legs and have sausage made, I also like to schnitzel the breasts once in a while I'll pluck out a young honker. Slow cooker is your friend.

Sasqman
09-17-2014, 09:12 PM
I've cut the breast into very thin slices, put in terayaki marinate over night, and then flash fry in a hot pan and serve on a toasted french loaf, with melted provolone and served with au jus. Very good.

Spy
09-17-2014, 09:12 PM
Thanks Jim I like schnitzel so does my wife thats a great idea. I used to boil Spurwing goose in red wine with juniper berries, long and slow until the meat fell off the bone, then make a pie with the meat. It was the only way but what a long drawn out process. Anyone eat the liver ?

Spy
09-17-2014, 09:14 PM
I've cut the breast into very thin slices, put in terayaki marinate over night, and then flash fry in a hot pan and serve on a toasted french loaf, with melted provolone and served with au jus. Very good.

Mmmmmm my mouth is watering :-)

Sasqman
09-17-2014, 09:17 PM
Mmmmmm my mouth is watering :-)

It's very good! I find when u cut it very thin and flash fry in a hot pan, the meat turns out very tender. I do the same for beef dip, and can use just about any cut of meat and always the same results.

Spy
09-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Agreed I used to take my freshly shot pheasant breasts and throw them directly on the red hot coals. 1 to 2 min max, super tender. Just eaten but I can taste these treats and am hungry all over again. Lol thanks for the input.:-)

Foxton Gundogs
09-17-2014, 10:13 PM
I have saved the livers and made pate' it was great

MichelD
09-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Pluck 'em and roast them whole very slowly.

Spy
09-17-2014, 10:22 PM
Pluck 'em and roast them whole very slowly.

When you have finished plucking them do you burn the down off or how do you get them nice and clean, do you wash them with water?

BiG Boar
09-17-2014, 10:24 PM
I have 4 aging in the fridge. These recipes seem good.

Spy
09-17-2014, 10:25 PM
I have saved the livers and made pate' it was great

Im a liver man and enjoy making pate' moose deer any liver. Growing up my mom used to make peri peri chicken livers.I can only guess goose liver would be similar.

The Hermit
09-17-2014, 10:28 PM
Pound the hell out of the breasts with meat hammer, then marinade in cup and half of cheap red wine, teaspoon of salt, pepper to taste, and 1/4 cup of sugar or maple syrup in fridge. Rinse, wrap in bacon, and bake with slices of orange (peaches, berries, whatever fruit that happens to be fresh and available) and mushrooms. I like them served over wild rice with new carrots, and a slice of apple. Awesome! Lets go get some!!

The Hermit
09-17-2014, 10:29 PM
Peri Peri? How the hell would you taste anything else? (for a week?) LOL

Mick_C
09-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Deep fried, jerky and sausage. If you have never tried deep fried goose, add it to you're bucket list ! Its similar to a very moist roast beef.

M.Dean
09-18-2014, 07:38 AM
This is way off topic, but, with all the dam geese tearing our parks lawns to pieces, and god help you if you live on a lake, you'll spend the whole summer cleaning up goose crap every morning with the amount of geese flying around the last number of years! So, why doesn't someone trap and butcher these bloody birds and give them out at the food banks??? Give them to the homeless shelters, feed them to the needy??? There becoming a dam problem in most area's, so take a thousand or so a year and feed the people that need it!

shotgunjohn
09-19-2014, 08:02 AM
Our newest method of cooking them is to cut the breasts into thin strips and do Korean BBQ with them. You can find a marinade recipe on the internet.
Soak for a day or two then cook for a few minutes on each side with your grill as hot as you can get it.
If you know a butcher marinating and smoking whole birds as if they were hams is a real treat.
We also do schnitzel but split the breasts in half to make them thinner before we pound them.
Have also made goose liver pate' which turned out excellent.
Also made dirty rice using liver and hearts and gizzards. Worked O.K. but gizzards form older birds should probably be ground.
Enjoy!

rbduck
09-20-2014, 05:25 AM
How about Pulled goose?
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Pulled_goose.jpg

Ron

Ranger95
09-20-2014, 05:49 AM
Cut out breasts, pound, cut into thiner strips - marinate in teriyaki sauce for 12-18 hours - roll goose up with bacon strips, add skewer to hold together , BBQ, feast!!

shotgunjohn
09-21-2014, 08:08 AM
How about Pulled goose?

Done that too. Works best with the leg meat. Slow cook then pull and mix with B.B.Q. sauce.
Can be frozen then reheat in frying pan and add a little fresh B.B.Q. sauce to freshen up.

Ron.C
09-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Last year I took a couple goose breasts, trimmed them into strips and used a cajun seasoning. Let them sit overnight and then pan fry in light olive oil. Basically replication cajun beef strips. Serve with your choice of dipping sauce, and a cold beer. Great pub style finger food while watching a hockey game.