PDA

View Full Version : Compulsory Inspection Question

VancouverSkiBum
09-17-2014, 12:49 AM
Question!

In regards to Elk in 2 and 8, is it any person who harvests an elk that need to get it inspected? or is it just this,

3. Persons who use the service of a licensed guide for the purpose of hunting a caribou, or an elk in Region 2 or 8, must submit such animals for inspection within 30 days after the last day of the hunt of the continuous season in which the animal was taken.

And, what do you guys usually do to get it ready for them? Where is a place near or in Vancouver? Cheers.

Steeleco
09-17-2014, 05:13 AM
We thought too that my son's Elk of this last weekend was due for inspection, but we didn't use a guide, therefore we don't need to worry about it.

We want to know where in reg 2 are there any caribou??

Ian F.
09-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Just looked at my leh "must submit skull, antler and tooth within 30days". Hoping to have that problem!

VancouverSkiBum
09-17-2014, 08:33 PM
So it says 1st, " within 30 days of the kill - The following species of game must be submitted to a regional compulsory inspection centre:
• mountain goat • mountain sheep• grizzly bear • cougar • caribou• elk in Regions 2 and 8 etc. "

and then it says,

3. Persons who use the service of a licensed guide for the purpose of hunting a caribou, or an elk in Region 2 or 8, must submit such animals for inspection within 30 days after the last day of the hunt of the continuous season in which the animal was taken.

so is it saying that everyone has to get inspected within 30 days of the kill, but people who have used a guide have 30 days from the end of their hunt.

OR

Only people who use the service of a guide have to get inspected within 30 days of the end of their hunt.

to me it sounds like the 1st scenario. ?

VancouverSkiBum
09-17-2014, 08:40 PM
and by the 1st scenario I mean, I do in fact have to get it inspected, but people who use a guide just may have a few more days than me.

Kopper
09-17-2014, 09:09 PM
Anyone who harvests an elk in reg 2 or 8 needs to get it inspected within 30 days after the date of kill. Caribou taken in any region (we all know there isn't a season in reg 2) need to be inspected within the same time frame. If you didn't use a licenced guide #3 that you quoted ski bum doesn't apply. Unless I have this wrong....

Steeleco
09-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Got to love the English language huh. The first time I read it, I read it wrong.

I'm still firmly believing that as we didn't use a guide, (Dad's don't count) we need not get the inspection done.

Somebody please tell me if I'm wrong!

HarryToolips
09-17-2014, 09:24 PM
Question!

In regards to Elk in 2 and 8, is it any person who harvests an elk that need to get it inspected? or is it just this,

And, what do you guys usually do to get it ready for them? Where is a place near or in Vancouver? Cheers.

Right out of the regs for elk in region 8:
'See Definitions section: Elk. The antlers must accompany the species licence. Elk taken must be Compulsory Inspected. See Compulsory Reporting and Inspection section.'
So I would say any elk taken in region 2 or 8 like the regs say, must be inspected..

250 sav
09-17-2014, 09:51 PM
The way I read it it must be inspected

LupieHunter
09-17-2014, 10:30 PM
I read it as it needs to be inspected as well.

Steeleco
09-17-2014, 10:56 PM
Persons who use the service of a licensed guide for the purpose of hunting Pretty much says it all. No guide, no inspection.

Fisher-Dude
09-17-2014, 11:16 PM
Pretty much says it all. No guide, no inspection.

You couldn't be more wrong. You MUST have a region 8 elk inspected.

You have 30 days from the date of kill to have it inspected. If you used a guide, you have 30 days from the end of the season to have it inspected.

Read the regulations and understand them.

Compulsory inspection
16 (1) A person commits an offence if the person takes or kills,

(a) in Region 2 or 8, an elk,

(b) in any M.U., a caribou,

(c) in any M.U. except in Region 4 (Kootenay) or in Region 6 (Skeena), a cougar,

(d) Repealed.

(e) Repealed. [B.C. Reg. 175/2010, App. 2, s. 3 (b).]

(f) in the Nass Wildlife Area, as shown on map 2010/2011 Nass Wildlife Area in Schedule 9, a moose,

(g) in M.U. 6-19, 6-20 or 6-22 to 6-25, a moose, or

(h) in Region 4, a lynx

[B]unless within 30 days after the date of the kill, or before exporting it from the Province, the person submits the prescribed parts of the animal to an officer for inspection and measurement.

(2) A person does not commit an offence under subsection (1) if

(a) with the written approval of an officer, the prescribed parts of a big game animal are submitted for inspection within 30 days after the last day of the hunt, or

(b) the person uses the services of a licenced guide to kill

(i) an elk in region 2 or 8, or

(ii) a caribou in any region,

and submits the prescribed parts of the big game animal for inspection within 30 days after the last day of the continuous season in which the big game animal was killed.

Steeleco
09-18-2014, 06:21 AM
Damn, now I get it. Just love the English language!!

I'm still confused somewhat, but for those looking here's the link I found.

Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management - Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations - Province of British Columbia (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/ci.html)

DANOSON
09-18-2014, 07:53 AM
Take it to inspection outlet and let them make the call. That way you can't be wrong.

Fisher-Dude
09-18-2014, 08:02 AM
The best advice I can give anyone is to read the Hunting Regulations section of the Wildlife Act at www.bclaws.ca

The Hunting Synopsis is just a summary of the law.

ryanb
09-18-2014, 08:06 AM
Got to love the English language huh. The first time I read it, I read it wrong.

I'm still firmly believing that as we didn't use a guide, (Dad's don't count) we need not get the inspection done.

Somebody please tell me if I'm wrong!

You're wrong.

ryanb
09-18-2014, 08:09 AM
A lot of people struggle with reading comprehension. They should have a flow chart online or in the regs to help those that can't decipher legalese.

abbyfireguy
09-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Call the CO office nearest you (Surrey if you live in Langley)for clarification if you need to. Simple answer will solve everything.

elknut
09-26-2014, 08:41 PM
I'm with abbyfireguy...I don't know why more hunters on this forum ask for advice on regulations.... of HBC members....Ask the Conservation Services..CO's..That way you get it from the " Source "...Dennis....PS The phone numbers are in the Hunting Regulations..Just phone the office of the MU you are in...

Fixit
01-10-2015, 06:47 PM
on the topic of elk inspections, what happens if your late for an inspection?