PDA

View Full Version : minimum gear on your person

two-feet
09-16-2014, 07:20 PM
When out for the day away from your main/spike camp, the bare essentials.

Rifle and 8 shells
knife
sharpener
lighter
fire starter
compass and/or gps
flagging tape
head lamp
licence

What do you fellas bring?

oscar makonka
09-16-2014, 07:23 PM
Toilet paper.

adriaticum
09-16-2014, 07:29 PM
Rope
2 knives
Saw
Multitool

two-feet
09-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Toilet paper.
Ha Ha yes after hunt camp cuisine and 6 oatmeal stouts it is 100% right

two-feet
09-16-2014, 07:36 PM
Toilet paper.
I have come back to base minus a sock or sleeve more times than I would like to admit

BigSlapper
09-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Rifle/shells/license/tags
Kuiu 3000 pack
Binos (Zeiss Classic 10X40's)
Garmin Rhino GPS
Rain Gear
Puffy down vest/Merino beanie
Grub/Snacks/water
Kill Kit (includes Alaska game bags/Piranta knives)
Fire Kit/Lighters
TP
1st Aid Kit (small)
Deer Drag
Para Chord (50m)
Flagging tape
Petzel Headlamp
Flask of Schnapps
Usually sub 20 lbs .... add siltarp/trekking poles/Jetboil Stove & Mtn House meal(s) if gone for the full day.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-16-2014, 07:44 PM
Would add siltarp, 3/4 ridge rest and sleeping bag. Bag only weighs just over two lbs but can make for a much more comfortable night on the mountain.

SSS

Kami
09-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Most of above plus Spot GPS.

Fred1
09-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Camera!! ;)

allan
09-16-2014, 08:08 PM
After the hunt I was on this spring, I'm bringing enough supplies to last two days with me when ever I leave camp for the day.
Basically everything listed above plus fist aid kit, and delorme Inreach, I pack it all in a badlands 2200 or mr 6500, if I shoot something I want a big enough pack to take a full load out with me.
A badland 2200 can Cary 140 lbs very uncomfortably, a MR 6500 makes the same load almost easy

HarryToolips
09-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Kuiu 3000 pack
Garmin Rhino GPS
Rain Gear
Grub/Snacks/water
Fire Kit/Lighters
TP
1st Aid Kit (small)
Deer Drag
Para Chord (50m)
Flagging tape
Petzel Headlamp
Flask of Schnapps
Usually sub 20 lbs .... add siltarp/trekking poles/Jetboil Stove & Mtn House meal(s) if gone for the full day.

Pretty much similar to what I bring, minus the GPS, TP (I use grass, or if around mullen), deer drag (I got a big game carrying pack), Schnapps...add: 2 compasses, gun essential tools/gun snake, hatchet, gloves, army canteen with steel under-cup to boil water, tarp..

Mikey Rafiki
09-16-2014, 08:33 PM

Rifle and 8 shells
knife
sharpener
lighter
fire starter
compass and/or gps
flagging tape
head lamp
licence

What do you fellas bring?

The above plus para cord, granola bar, water and life straw. Would like to add a mirror.

Hodaka
09-16-2014, 08:38 PM
Kuiu 3000 pack
Garmin Rhino GPS
Rain Gear
Grub/Snacks/water
Fire Kit/Lighters
TP
1st Aid Kit (small)
Deer Drag
Para Chord (50m)
Flagging tape
Petzel Headlamp
Flask of Schnapps
Similar to mine, but I bring a good headlamp ;). Plus, a good handheld light.

khoffnbud
09-16-2014, 09:07 PM
i don't go anywhere regardless of how long without a siltarp and sleeping bag, you just never know and i've learned that the hard way

RiverOtter
09-16-2014, 09:50 PM
I'd pack a couple less rounds of ammo, before I left TP at home in favour of grass/mullen.....

It's your arse Toolips, treat it however you like.........

dabber
09-16-2014, 10:11 PM
TP= Mountain Money, never leave camp without it.
Have you ever noticed how you leave with enough to do the job and when it comes time to use it , there isn't enough?

Ranger95
09-16-2014, 10:18 PM

Rifle and 8 shells
knife
sharpener
lighter
fire starter
compass and/or gps
flagging tape
head lamp
licence

Add my inreach, wet wipes, flask with Irish mist, tags and poncho....pop all in here and you are good to go!

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/poofter_paddi/3017e544a0029e0f2bfec00ffb6734a1_zpse215d690.jpg

Sofa King
09-16-2014, 10:22 PM
two knives.
four juice drink boxes, or whatever i happen to take.
snacks, granola bars, etc.
deer call.
licence.
binos.
camera.
rifle.
lighter.
gps.
rope.
shit-tickets.
10 shells, five in the gun and an extra load of five.

Gateholio
09-16-2014, 10:38 PM
Rifle
Ammo
Knife
Electric Tape
2 bottles of Whiskey
Lighter

All else is superfluous

Quince
09-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Depends on situation; but have gotten tired of being overprepared(let the comments fly) but going back to minimalist roots more.... Mentors way back when hunted without all the crap we have today.
I like all the stuff i have but all i REALLY need is
Rifle
binos
lighter
knife
Canteen of h20

Chopper
09-16-2014, 11:14 PM
at least 20 shells

Ruffed
09-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Boy, most of you guys take way more stuff than I do. I don't like to be weighed down by too much stuff. If however, I had to spend the night in the bush, then I'd regret my decision. I've never had to spend the night in the bush...I've been fortunate. I will reconsider my choices though as a lot of you guys take more stuff than I dol

Henry

sky-gunner
09-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Thing is always have in my pack:

Survival kit; Couple different types of firestarter and tinder
Fishing line with flies
Space Blanket
Multi tool
wire saw
Water treatment tablets
Tylenol
Small copper snare wire
10 ft length of twine
Roll of dental floss type twine waxed covered
Signal mirror
Small key chain light
Whistle
Poncho
Spare Compass

All of that fits into a little waterproof ziplock type bag that slides into a zippered waterproof case, easily fits into a cargo pocket in your pants or in the pack.

Also take a first aid kit; Bandaids
Mole skin
Tylenol and Alergy tabs
Flushing syringe
Assorted wipes, Anti septic, alchohol ect
Blot clotting powder
Gauze
Energy Chews
Sewing needle and thread
Tensor bandage
Sling material
Heavy duty pain killers
Salt tablets and water treating tablets
Space blanket
Inflatable splint

Again this is easily carried in a cargo pocket or in a pack without taking up a lot of space

Miscellaneous items ; Extra magazine and ammo
Pen flares
Para cord 100'
Flaggin tape
Compass and map
Two knives, one on belt one on pack, one for skinning and cutting, and a Esse 5 for heavy duty needs
Camel Back
Extra socks
Binos
Radio if im with someone else
Long Johns
Stone
TP
Game Bags
May seem like a lot, and maybe it is, but im a firm believer in its better to have and not need, then to need and not have. I may never get lost or hurt in the bush, but if I do im going to be comfortable and have everything I need, so I can focus on getting out of my predicament rather then be mentally stressed about being under prepared.

howa1500
09-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Depends on where I'm hunting. If I'm close to main roads or not, and the likelihood of danger.
I usually carry:
On my person:
Lighter, knife, compass, binos, paracord
In my pack:
Gerber, hatchet, deer drag, game bag, para cord, flagging tape, water, protein bars, Sol emergency bivy, GPS, matches, lighter, spare batteries, first aid kit, some purification tabs, metal mug, nitrile gloves, spare mag with 5 rounds, shemagh, led flashlight, petzl headlamp, fatwood, moleskins, Band-Aids, wet wipes as opposed to TP, gorilla tape.
Most fits into a large pencil case aka survival pack. Carried in my larger backpack.
Sometimes I carry a tarp and an empty nalgene bottle.
In the truck:
Sleeping bag, chainsaw, gas, swede saw, rope, more water, MRE/IMP, tarps, other fire starters, first aid kit, air compressor, msr whisperlite, katadyn water filter, fishing rod and tackle (for fun).

Probably forgetting stuff.

Plus mental preparation and previous CF training to help me through the solitary times in the bush.

Ron.C
09-17-2014, 11:52 AM
To be honest, I don't carry that much when I am hunting near home and have comms and am not going far from the truck.

But when I'm going into a more remote area, the gear that comes with me is pleanty light enough that I have no resevations about taking it, I remain mobile/stealthy and gives me the warm and fuzzy I need to venture into the backcountry:

Pocket knife and mini LED light always on my person
Gun plus ammo or bow, Bino's
Extermal Frame pack with a small bag containing

Rain Gear "regardless of what the weather looks like"
TP
Food for the day, expected clothing layers for the day
Tags/Knife/rangefinder/any calls I may be using
One large game bag if I'm hunting deer/bear, more if elk is on the list
3L water bladder/hose
SPOT
Bear Spray "on belt of my pack when hunting and always on my hip when I'm dressing an animal"
GPS, Map/Compass
50' paracord
Headlamp, and small handheld light
Boning Knife
Wind Checker

Survival Kit "weighs very little"
SOL Emerg Bivy "very handy and compact"
Space Blanket "use as a shelter if needed"
Matches/fire starter
water purifcation tabs
two cliff bars
small first aid kit "blister/burns"
a couple pepto pills, couple ibuprohin
shell dressing "for major leak stopping that is taped to the outside of my frame pack for easy access"

caddisguy
09-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Depends on the area and distance from the rest of my gear, but generally for venturing further than a couple kms for half the day, I take:

rifle, minimum 4 rounds of ammo, backpack, binos, rope, lighter, candle, compass, deer call, deer sock, 2 knives, multi-tool, folding saw, head lamp, emergency blanket, bear spray, air horn, licenses/id, and sometimes a couple cliff bars and a bottle of water.

Always remember either at least an arms length of toilet paper, a couple shop towels or paper towels incase round 2 starts brewing after a few kms of hiking and climbing. I forgot one time last December. Fortunately I must have shoved the hunting synopsis in my pack at some point. While I was flipping through to see which pages to use, I got surprised by a coyote with my pants down. It took all of Region 1 and most of Region 4 to make things right.

howa1500
09-17-2014, 02:31 PM
It took all of Region 1 and most of Region 4 to make things right.

Bwahahahahahaha now that's some funny sh!t

Buck
09-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Well this stuff i always have in my pack
Feathered friends Rock wren sleeping bag can be worn as a jacket .Has armholes http://featheredfriends.com/rock-wren-down-sleeping-bag.html
Integral designs South Col 2 event bivy waterproof no need for raingear if the weather good.Also has armholes can be worn as a jacket sort of thing.http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=881
Siltarp 2
Folding saw
Firesteel with cotton balls
Sawyer squeeze filter
Some food gran bars trail mix ect
Delorme inreach explorer
Itouch pairs with delorme for maps and or entertainment.
Compass
headlamp
25 ft rope
Knife usually Havalon
Toque
Quick clot
t paper
Painkillers
With not much more i can go for a week with this kit.Very light.