PDA

View Full Version : Hired a packer?

brno375
03-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Who here has paid for packing services?

Who has asked the g/o and been refused/accepted? Who did you ask/use? Feel free to vent or give accolades.

kootenayelkslayer
03-12-2007, 07:39 PM
I've never hired one, but i've been hired several times. :lol: Having worked as a packer/guide-trainee, I would definetly recommend hiring one just to give us young guys more guiding experience. Of course, if physical shape is an issue, i would also recommend getting a packer on a backpack hunt.

Deaddog
03-13-2007, 05:59 AM
guy scott is included in the packers label, I have used him with great success, as well I know of several outfitters in the north who will pack you in, they do not advertise it however my understanding is they have to (by agreement with gov't) take you in at a reasonable price if there is no transporter in there area, I would like to clarify I have NOT seen this in print only been told by one outfitter and several residents that this is in place. In addition I would like to add that so far there is no place in the province I have not been able to get into, ... packer or not, DD

boxhitch
03-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Supposedly there are 2 transporters in reg. 6 and 12 in reg. 7, and I'm not sure how many in reg 4, ??
How can these guys stay in business if nobody has used them ?

ursus
03-18-2007, 07:16 PM
For anyone that has ever flown with Liard Air, Urs is a licenced packer /transporter, and his business is thriving!

WoodOx
03-18-2007, 07:26 PM
kootneyelkslayer - that a ram of yours?

Gateholio
03-18-2007, 08:13 PM
I've used Guy Scott as well as hired horses from Blue Creek.

brno375
03-19-2007, 12:53 AM
Supposedly there are 2 transporters in reg. 6 and 12 in reg. 7, and I'm not sure how many in reg 4, ??
How can these guys stay in business if nobody has used them ?

Do the "Transporters" have an association with a website that resident hunters can go to, to get a list of members and their services? It is hard to use them when you can't find them.

03-19-2007, 12:18 PM
I have used Robert York twice, 100% success for the entire party on both trips, Gathto Creek and vicinity might just have been the best hunting area in BC at that time (1991 and 1992), sheep eveywhere and lots of elk. I went with Guy Scott once (50% success). I was the hunter who came home empty handed on that hunt, and it was only because I was too fussy, had several chances on legal, but smaller rams.

The most legal rams I ever saw on a hunt was with Robert York in 1992, we set up a spike camp near the headwaters of a small tributary of ???? Creek nearly on the divide between Gathto Cr. and the Tuchodi. My partner shot his ram the first day, a 14 year old beat up old veteran. I got mine the second day, scored 162, lamb tips were broomed off.

York provided full services except for guiding. He had a cook and wrangler even in the spike camps. There was really no need for a guide unless a hunter was blind because there were sheep everywhere.

On the trip with Scott we backpacked from the Muskwa and Guy stayed at the river to look after his boat most of the time. We were completely "untended" while in the spike camp, just the way we wanted, it was a great trip, grizzlies, elk and sheep on every mountain.

The packers in Region 7 have an association called the North-East Packers Assn, I don't think they have a web site, but I believe Guy Scott is their spokesperson.

I don't think there are any packers in Region 4. at least not any legally licensed ones, there are lots of resident hunters who own horses and there may be a few of them who you might be able to talk into packing a hunting party if it fit their schedule. You would have to know the country and be able to tell them exactly where you wanted to go because these guys don't have base camps or any type of facilities like the packers up north do. You would also need to have your own camp and equipment except horses and tack.

boxhitch
03-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Do the "Transporters" have an association with a website that resident hunters can go to, to get a list of members and their services? It is hard to use them when you can't find them.
Not that I know of. Some have ads in the Regs, but not many.

boxhitch
03-19-2007, 02:57 PM
I don't think there are any packers in Region 4. at least not any legally licensed ones, there are lots of resident hunters who own horses and there may be a few of them who you might be able to talk into packing a hunting party if it fit their schedule. You would have to know the country and be able to tell them exactly where you wanted to go because these guys don't have base camps or any type of facilities like the packers up north do. You would also need to have your own camp and equipment except horses and tack.
The ramifications of a CO getting wind of this could hurt a bit. Best not to 'hire' a 'friend', but if he invites you along, thats kewl.

kootenayelkslayer
03-19-2007, 04:24 PM
kootneyelkslayer - that a ram of yours?

No, not my sheep. I wish it were though. It belongs to a client.

kootenayelkslayer
03-19-2007, 05:01 PM
By the way, sorry for my first reply in this thread. I misunderstood the topic a bit.

WoodOx
03-19-2007, 07:39 PM
That a BC Dall then?

Guy Scott
03-19-2007, 09:49 PM
There are six licenced Transporters in B.C..
They are; Guy scott, Sooke
Dana Lepine, Cecil Lake
Jeff Browne, Fort Nelson
Cliff Andrews, Fort nelson
Liard Air, Muncho Lake
Groat Brothers, Lower Post
We all have licenced territories in Region 7-B and are licenced to provide fully outfitted and drop-off services for an allocated number of B.C. resident or accompanied non-resident hunters each year. Cheers. Guy

boxhitch
03-20-2007, 02:44 PM
There are others, in other regions, that offer pack trips or air charters or river transport. Are they somehow different ?

Guy Scott
03-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Anyone offering pack trips or river transport for hunting purposes would not be legal unless they held a valid Transporter Licence or a valid Guide-Outfitter Licence.
Liard Air is the only air charter that holds a Transporter Licence because they provide services to hunters over and above flying services.
Cheers. Guy

Gateholio
03-20-2007, 05:27 PM
That is interesting Guy, as I was swondering why Liard Air was included there, as I understood the air charters were exempt from requiring a packers licence.

Guy Scott
03-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Page 14 in last years regs pretty much covers it. Cheers. Guy

BCrams
03-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Guy,

Would you be able to elaborate on guide outfitters packing in resident hunters. For example: if a packer within the territory did not have the means to take you in...for example a supercub on wheels but you know the outfitter has the plane and you inquire about getting flown in to a dirt strip.

Is the outfitter obligated to take you in at a fair rate or can he just flat out refuse??

The reason I ask this is if outfitters won t provide that access because the packer does not have the means, would it not make sense to grant more leeway for new would be packers who do have the means (in this example - supercub or husky on wheels)

Any input in this regard would be appreciated.

Guy Scott
03-20-2007, 08:08 PM
BCrams: I don't believe the outfitter is obligated at all, he may have prior commitments etc. The Transporter Licences that have been issued were issued to resolve problems that existed in 7-B. These problems are now resolved. I don't think there will ever be any more Transporter Licences issued. The licences that were issued cover the areas which traditionally had the high demand for access. Obviously there are always going to be places that are difficult to access but that would not justify more Transporter Licences. I think it is a very good thing that we have hard to reach areas to make us all work a little harder to get there. Builds character as Deaddog would say. Cheers. Guy

BCrams
03-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks Guy !

brno375
03-20-2007, 11:56 PM
I don't believe the outfitter is obligated at all...I don't think there will ever be any more Transporter Licences issued...there are always going to be places that are difficult to access but that would not justify more Transporter Licences... I think it is a very good thing that we have hard to reach areas to make us all work a little harder to get there. Cheers. Guy

Catch 22: If the outfitter refuses to provide the service, in theory resident harvest will not be high and the g/o will slowly gain a greater allotment. If access is easy, the game populations get hit hard.

There needs to be a balance and I believe this is where the transporter comes into the picture. If I understand the system correctly, a transporter is on a quota as well, is he not?

Guy Scott
03-21-2007, 08:23 AM
brno375: Your catch 22 is correct but not all easy access sheep populations even get hunted at all. There are big rams living in areas that don't appear to be traditional ram areas and therefore these rams and areas are often overlooked. This is true in a lot of areas in B.C. and for a lot of different species. In other words , the backcountry is good but the frontcountry is overlooked.
Transporters are on a hunter allocation, not a game allocation. The allocation reflects the amount of business we did in the years before licencing and does include an opportunity to expand if there is an increased demand for Transporter services. Cheers. Guy