PDA

View Full Version : Some Information on Etiquette

Thatguy
09-16-2014, 06:42 PM
I am a resident of region 7B and have never hunted outside of the region. Its a big region and deactivated logging roads, oil and gas lease access roads, trails, cutblocks, etc far outnumber the hunters using them for access. Since I have never hunted outside the area, as I said, I am only assuming that in the southernly portion of the province, space is not of the unlimited appearance. It costs a lot of money and effort to embark on a trip diagonally across this province in pursuit of what we all love, so I wish anybody who does luck and opportunity. However, that being said, if you see a vehicle parked at the entrance to a dead end trail, cutline, or something of the like, why continue down that same trail? Give people their space, don't crowd anybody, and don't quad down trails that all signs point to somebody walking down. Also, do not block roads with camps. If the first mentioned etiquette is followed, then there is absolutely no point in this. Anybody I have ever talked to about these issues shakes their head the same way I do, so I thought it was a point to bring up.

srupp
09-16-2014, 06:52 PM
Good point , however I have seen camps blocking the rd that has several valleys and different trail heads...sort of trying to keep everyone from 30 sq kilometers for themselves, I had someone this spring come unglued when I suddenly encountered them walking...maybe 200 yards from a major junction each continuing on for 10 kms..he felt he should have singular access to both...I merely informed him I was continuing on and told him which route I was going.
Same as folks putting up no hunting no tresspassing signs on crown land..piggish..
Be reasonable give each other some space however the province is not your private reserve...
Cheers
Steven

adriaticum
09-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Yes if you see someone parked before a cut block you don't want to disturb them.
Last week I saw a guy sitting and waiting in a cut block with his quad parked; and so I reversed and left him alone.
And on numerous occasions people just go back when they encountered me walking on the road.
But as usual some people think etiquette is what they stick on poultry meat in grocery stores.

r106
09-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Also not everyone may know the area like you do. They might not know if the road ends in 500m or 10km. But if they do then I agree it is a dick move.

Bugle M In
09-16-2014, 07:41 PM
Just don't block the roads regardless.
I could tell you a story from region 3 a couple years back where all parties came unglued...not pretty!
Smashed vehicles and gun fire. ( RCMP got involved)

If you want to be alone, stay at home!
If you want to hunt, walk as far as ya can away from roads, possibly to the other side of a cut block.
Otherwise, leave it alone, it ain't private property.
Yes, can try to respect others, but if I driven all day to get somewhere, where I know I want to hunt, I'm going to hunt it, regardless of who gets there first.
I may walk to a different area nearby another hunter surely...I'm not going to walk on top of him.
But I won't go for got here first!....G/O's would have me beat every time.

Heck, I have even walked into other guys out in the middle of nowhere, miles from roads.
If I don't like all the pressure in the area, then "I" don't come back!
If a guy is in a stand or blind, ya, I'll give the room, but over the next ridge etc is fair game in my books.
But for the most part, I do try to avoid other hunters just for the sake of enjoying my hunt.

Sure you can stop and hunt at the end of a spur road etc, but my advice is walk from that point away from the traffic if you want a spot to yourself.
Cheers

Kami
09-16-2014, 08:05 PM
I remember hunting gas lines in 7B, as well as drill test lines. Big wide cut lines with tall grass down them going for miles. Some guys set their camp up right in the middle of the ATV trails, on a main gas line. The ATV trail went right through the middle of their camp. I was wondering if they thought they were setting up a toll gate. First day out in pre-dawn darkness I bumped into this camp during my regular hunting route. I idled my ATV right through the middle of their camp both at dawn and dark in both directions. I saw their early morning long faces glaring at me as I rode right through their camp. They were 3 feet away from me. I smiled and said good morning or good evening depending what time it was. After 3 days of several hunters having to do the same thing on their ATVs, they finally packed up and moved on. There were several cleared large drill head areas that were level and off the main roads. Perfect spots to set up a hunting camp. Why they set up on a main hunting trail is beyond me.

So if they were there first am I supposed to stay away from them? Who's the idiot here?

MB_Boy
09-16-2014, 08:24 PM
Here we go again. :roll:

Jagermeister
09-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Once upon a time I thought that you had to get there first and I did.
Then one day, I got there first as usual and proceeded with haste toward my ambush point.
I was a couple hundred yards uphill in the timber when I heard the truck rattle up to where I parked my truck on the dead end.
I waited for the customary door slam which did not happen immediately so I continued on. I had not gone too many steps when I heard a volley of shots. I knew the futility to continue on so I returned down the hill to the truck and the success of the hunters.
It turned out that there were three hunters. When they got to my truck and turned around, one decided that he had to have a whizz. They all quietly got out and as they were standing there, a passel of mule deer bucks and does arrived and paused long enough for everyone to pop a deer.
I had great expectations that morning many years ago, however, I went home empty handed.
I have other memories of similar occurrances , some in my favour.
The point is, there is no need to be first hunter, the only hunter. Let the other guy go by, he just might make the game get up after he has passed. Obviously if you encounter a hunter in a blind or stand along the game trail, don't stop to talk or dillydally about, keep moving on, quietly.

Thatguy
09-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Excellent points you guys (Bugle M In doesn't have much of a grasp of my point, but hey, "stay at home"). The issue isn't wanting to treat crown land as private, it is wanting to share it courteously, keeping everybody's odds up, and getting back to basics. Its enjoyable when guys stop by if your camped or walking, ask your intent, and help formulate a plan that works for everybody. I don't see much of a debate here; don't block roads and don't intentionally crowd somebody. Of course you sometimes stumble across other guys, and that's part of the game, but definitely try not to interfere with anybody.

Spy
09-16-2014, 09:39 PM
There will always be dicks out there who could care less about your hunt. Archery opening day this year we got to a spot that we planned to hunt, my partner had a tree stand up & I had a ground blind. When we arrived at 4ish am we found two other hunters parked at the landing. Had a chat with them found out they got their asses out of bed @ 330am. We wished them good luck and went down the rd. It sucked but fair is fair. They stopped by our camp later that morning to share info & say thanks :-) Stand up guys! Lots of country out there give guys space even if you drive all night! If you get beat into a spot suck it up & go somewhere else.

Bugle M In
09-16-2014, 11:32 PM
Excellent points you guys (Bugle M In doesn't have much of a grasp of my point, but hey, "stay at home"). The issue isn't wanting to treat crown land as private, it is wanting to share it courteously, keeping everybody's odds up, and getting back to basics. Its enjoyable when guys stop by if your camped or walking, ask your intent, and help formulate a plan that works for everybody. I don't see much of a debate here; don't block roads and don't intentionally crowd somebody. Of course you sometimes stumble across other guys, and that's part of the game, but definitely try not to interfere with anybody.

Nope, didn't miss what you are saying.
Spoken to hundreds of guys over 40+ years of hunting.
Met many that even belong to this site, and we all get along, and share info...to a point:wink:
My point is not to jump in some ones face when out hunting at all.
But, I don't shy away from other hunters either!

There is a spot I hunt most of the time come the Muley rut, and 96% of the time there is no issue as I and some hunting buddies are alone there.
But, on occasion, there has been a truck here or there, and I have just learned that it ain't a big deal.
I am not I mind reader, and don't even try to any longer.
Ex. Truck parked at first light in a spot where we usually Dive the truck into at he end of a old fire access road.
I saw the 2 hunters tracks in the snow, one going up to the left like I always do, and another going to the right like my partner does.
After 100 yrds I wander to my own path thru the old growth away from the hunter before me.
20 minutes later I cross the guys tracks, then 20 minutes later, I hear the truck leaving!
I hunt the spot ( mountainside ) all day, obviously they had no intent to as they probably didn't even know we were there till they got to there truck.
So, I don't see your point.
My point is simple, I go out and hunt, and if a situation like this occurs, I don't sweat it!
I have had other guys show up after me, parking there truck next to mine, and hunted in the area as well.
And they, like myself, have extended the courtesy of not blocking the road so that I could get by if need be!
It's really Simple!!!
I'm not sure why you think it is a problem, or, you just didn't like the answer I gave you.

The only issue I have is someone blocking a road, even if it is at the end of a spur ( as if somehow to say, look at me!!, I'm here, I'm here !!)

Some areas you will have all to yourself, and other areas will see more congestion.
It's all about what sort of little honey hole it may be and how many know of it.

I've read of guys talking of how some group came thru, while they were sitting there etc etc.
Only to say the guys passed thru... But.. they shouldn't have since they saw such and such sitting there.
After 2 minutes, their no longer to be seen.

Just pass on by or let the other guy pass on by, and go back to what you were doing...it's all good!
Some will say hi, others won't...just how people are.
Stands and blinds I understand, give that person the shooting room required etc.

My only other 2 etiquette request other than not blocking a road is:
Don't view me thru your rifle scope because you are either too lazy or too cheap to use/have one.
Don't shoot just cause you heard a noise in the bushes behind you.
Follow those rules, and we'll all get along just fine:cool:

markomoose
09-17-2014, 02:32 AM
There will always be dicks out there who could care less about your hunt. Archery opening day this year we got to a spot that we planned to hunt, my partner had a tree stand up & I had a ground blind. When we arrived at 4ish am we found two other hunters parked at the landing. Had a chat with them found out they got their asses out of bed @ 330am. We wished them good luck and went down the rd. It sucked but fair is fair. They stopped by our camp later that morning to share info & say thanks :-) Stand up guys! Lots of country out there give guys space even if you drive all night! If you get beat into a spot suck it up & go somewhere else.
Agreed there Spy .GOOD CALL!

Gateholio
09-17-2014, 07:42 AM
This thread has been done several times.....

Thatguy
09-17-2014, 07:54 AM
Yeah, sorry, I'm sure it has. I haven't actually read one on the topic and thought it brought up some valid points though, so no harm done.

Spy
09-17-2014, 08:15 AM
Agreed there Spy .GOOD CALL!

Its common courtesy thats all, which seems to be lacking in some members :-(

Spy
09-17-2014, 08:16 AM

I think it should be done many more times because obviously some cant grasp the concept :-(

Spy
09-17-2014, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=Bugle M In;1541458]

There is a spot I hunt most of the time come the Muley rut, and 96% of the time there is no issue as I and some hunting buddies are alone there.
But, on occasion, there has been a truck here or there, and I have just learned that it ain't a big deal
Ex. Truck parked at first light in a spot where we usually Dive the truck into at he end of a old fire access road.
I saw the 2 hunters tracks in the snow, one going up to the left like I always do, and another going to the right like my partner does.
After 100 yrds I wander to my own path thru the old growth away from the hunter before me.
20 minutes later I cross the guys tracks, then 20 minutes later, I hear the truck leaving!
I hunt the spot ( mountainside ) all day, obviously they had no intent to as they probably didn't even know we were there till they got to there truck.
So, I don't see your point.

Wow you purposely went in on another hunters tracks, knowing full well they were hunting the area, than took your own path only to cross his tracks again ?????
No wonder the other hunters left the area ! What an ignorant/selfish thing to do. The day will come when you pull that shit with the wrong hunter & you will come back to your truck only to find 4 flat tires ;-) Karma lol
I obviously dont agree with you ! Like I said you get beat into your honey hole, leave and hunt elsewhere.

skibum
09-17-2014, 09:32 AM

But is good because there are new hunters on this site who might not have someone mentoring them - they are not going to dig through old posts.

olympia
09-17-2014, 09:47 AM
I could tell you a story from region 3 a couple years back where all parties came unglued...not pretty!

If you want to be alone, stay at home!
If you want to hunt, walk as far as ya can away from roads, possibly to the other side of a cut block.
Otherwise, leave it alone, it ain't private property.
Yes, can try to respect others, but if I driven all day to get somewhere, where I know I want to hunt, I'm going to hunt it, regardless of who gets there first.
I may walk to a different area nearby another hunter surely...I'm not going to walk on top of him.
But I won't go for got here first!....G/O's would have me beat every time.

Heck, I have even walked into other guys out in the middle of nowhere, miles from roads.
If I don't like all the pressure in the area, then "I" don't come back!
If a guy is in a stand or blind, ya, I'll give the room, but over the next ridge etc is fair game in my books.
But for the most part, I do try to avoid other hunters just for the sake of enjoying my hunt.

Sure you can stop and hunt at the end of a spur road etc, but my advice is walk from that point away from the traffic if you want a spot to yourself.
Cheers

Me and you would get along just fine, now if only everyone took this philosophy and applied it to their hunting lives as well as non hunting everyday life

caddisguy
09-17-2014, 09:56 AM

I would be interested to hear what happened and how it escalated. The story would be appreciated.

jhausner
09-17-2014, 10:47 AM
I never understood people that get pissy when other hunters are around or going down their magical trail. I have found from my own experience that high traffic areas breed animals that are less spooked by loud noises especially cars, quads, and the like. I can't even count how many times I've been walking a trail and had a quad or 2 or 5 come up behind me and pass me only to about 5 minutes later when I couldn't hear them anymore in the distance, see 4 or 5 deer jump out onto the road right in front of me.

Hunting is more about time+place rather than simply place. You can walk a trail that had 50 deer walk it 10 minutes before you and 50 deer walk it 10 minutes after you but at that specific time+place you're at, there is nothing there, no matter how many other hunters are in the area. Heck just two years ago we were staying at a friend's property just outside Clinton and he (an 80+ year old man to boot) went out to drive a local logging road in his pickup. When we got back from our hunt he was back with a 3-point hanging on the tree. He said to us:

"this guy was right up my tail wanting to pass me in his pickup over half the trail so I decided 'I'm old and not in a rush' and pulled over to let him pass. He roared on passed me and 2 corners later when he was out of sight, this 3-point walked out looking up the road at his tail-lights. And now he's going in my freezer."

That said, I am actually quite the opposite in etiquette, I get more annoyed at hunters that think they exclusively own crown land and that 1 trail or valley they decided to hunt. Sure I'm like everyone else and I love being the only hunting party in an area. But if others show up, I welcome them over for a beer at the end of a good day's hunt because we're all hunters enjoying this great Province. My work is stressful enough with competition and politics that I don't need the BS to follow me out into my hunting 'vacations.'

pg83
09-17-2014, 11:57 AM
We had a couple of guys on horseback ride past our camp last year. We were on a landing with the road continuing another couple hundred meters. my buddy was on foot down that way. The riders went trotting down the road until they caught sight of him and then came back and went up into a burn I had been hunting in. They pulled a 6x5 elk an hour later, probably the guy i had been dogging the evening before. We ended up there for 9 cold and wet days with no elk. They were in and out in 5 hours. That's how it goes sometimes.

Bugle M In
09-17-2014, 12:17 PM
I would be interested to hear what happened and how it escalated. The story would be appreciated.

Its possibly still pending a court case so I'll just give a small snip it, from what I can make out if you equate both sides of the story and find the middle (truth).
A hunter blocked a road, say approx. 1 km from the actual end of the spur.( 2 large cut blocks in this section to the end of road )
His reasoning was he wanted to be left alone to hunt it, and this other group of guys always seems to driving into this road
He realizes now he had screwed up, and I told him don't ever block a road.
But the other group escalated stuff.
The other group, which we call the Clan, as they are all family related, didn't like this, and decided to block this hunter in from getting back out.
Probably also to teach him a lesson??
So, confrontation pursues, one guy in a truck, and a group of guys outside the truck asking him to step out.
As for all the details in between, I can't say, wasn't there, but at some point guy in truck had to smash his truck thru a couple of others to get out of there.
( We saw vehicles being towed out, and all the broken parts where the incident took place!, so that part did happen. )
His truck also became inoperable from the collision, so now you can see where this is all going.
The rest I will leave out, as in my mind it is over and done with and has nothing to do with me.
I only know these guys from years of hunting in the area, and had no problems with either group.
But, all it took was a small thing ( which should have been done the "Etiquette" way, but wasn't ! )
And it led to a Major ordeal out in the middle of nowhere.

So my Etiquette point is don't block roads, and don't think you have exclusive rights!
Exclusive Rights = Private Property

Bugle M In
09-17-2014, 12:37 PM
" Wow you purposely went in on another hunters tracks, knowing full well they were hunting the area, than took your own path only to cross his tracks again ?????
No wonder the other hunters left the area ! What an ignorant/selfish thing to do. The day will come when you pull that shit with the wrong hunter & you will come back to your truck only to find 4 flat tires :wink: Karma lol I obviously dont agree with you ! Like I said you get beat into your honey hole, leave and hunt elsewhere."

Spy, you don't get It!

The other group had only a plan to loop the ridge line, thus they ended up back at there truck.
In all, they spent under an hour in the area.
We on the other hand, hunted over the top and into the back country.
Our plan was to hunt all day.

Also, not every hillside holds the same amount of game, and not everybody hunts the hillside the same way!

As for Karma!, I'm all good buddy, I have had lots of success in this area for years now!
AND, several members here have I met on this EXACT Hillside!!:-DAND.....
Some of them had seen my tracks and decided to follow them up to see what gives!!:shock:
Now we all talk when we are there, we talk which way u headed, I'll go that way...bla bla bla
And it works out fine.
Heck sometimes I don't see my hunting partners all day, and we are all walking the same hillside.

So, Karma has knocked at my door! and I looked at those lemons and made the proverbial lemonade from the situation.
Let me know if you need the Recipe :grin:

adriaticum
09-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Mr bugle nobody is talking about blocking roads.
You should send your clan to the FN blockades. They'd clean them up quick.

Bugle M In
09-17-2014, 12:46 PM
"The day will come when you pull that shit with the wrong hunter & you will come back to your truck only to find 4 flat tires :wink: Karma lol"

Really mature there SPY, is that how frustrated you get when you are out there hunting.???
Anger Management may need to be addressed before you head out into the woods.
Do you get Thoughts of flattening peoples tires while your out hunting????
Enjoy you outing as a day out of the office, not a competition.
If you try to compete, you will eventually be beaten, and for what??

Just stick to the hunting Regs, and the laws that govern our province/ country.

Bugle M In
09-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Mr bugle nobody is talking about blocking roads.
You should send your clan to the FN blockades. They'd clean them up quick.

The Clan isn't my group, nor was the guy who originally blocked the road from my group.

I know what the original post was about.
And my feelings aren't exactly identical to the person who started the thread is all.

Just cause a truck/ or quad sits somewhere doesn't mean I should get out of there.
Just tells me there are others that know of this spot as well.
So, I head out, knowing someone may be there....somewhere????
If in a blind/ stand...head on past, give em space.
If they are just cruising, so can I.
It's not like the Area is fenced off and we all run out of space.
The terrain is endless, just the access points are the same!
So, no, just cause a truck sits there, does not give them exclusive rights. IMO.
Or, if I know I can access from the other side, then ya, I will do that.

In the end, it has worked out both ways.
Sometimes I'm there first, and others walk up into me.
Other times the opposite.
It never stopped me from hiking in, and it never stopped them from hiking in.
And it never caused a problem...no flat tires, no flipping fingers etc etc.
Usually just a wave hello, and off you go.
Sometimes followed by a beer or 2 at the trucks at night fall.
Much more fun than sticking knives into peoples tires.
But hey, some people just work that way I guess??

edgar11
09-17-2014, 01:14 PM
For me its all about safety. I don't want to worry about who is behind my prey if I don't know exactly where they are . If I see another hunter, I will simply go somewhere else because there are plenty of other places to go. Maybe I will go there later in the day or the next. There is no need to be tripping over each other. I think all agree though that making your own hunting area by blocking it is a big no-no.

Bugle M In
09-17-2014, 01:21 PM
For me its all about safety. I don't want to worry about who is behind my prey if I don't know exactly where they are . If I see another hunter, I will simply go somewhere else because there are plenty of other places to go. Maybe I will go there later in the day or the next. There is no need to be tripping over each other. I think all agree though that making your own hunting area by blocking it is a big no-no.

that's why we don't hunt the bull river.
We hunt in the Ek's where elk are sparser than other areas for sure, but it is also to lessen congestion of other hunters by doing so.

Spy
09-17-2014, 02:21 PM
"The day will come when you pull that shit with the wrong hunter & you will come back to your truck only to find 4 flat tires :wink: Karma lol"

Really mature there SPY, is that how frustrated you get when you are out there hunting.???
Anger Management may need to be addressed before you head out into the woods.
Do you get Thoughts of flattening peoples tires while your out hunting????
Enjoy you outing as a day out of the office, not a competition.
If you try to compete, you will eventually be beaten, and for what??

Just stick to the hunting Regs, and the laws that govern our province/ country.

Ok first of all I would never mess with another mans vehicle, cause damage to something which is not mine! Thats not how I operate. I said "one day you will try this with the wrong guy!" Not meaning me! We would have words if you purposely walked in on my fresh boot tracks & interfered with my hunt.I would report you for interfearing because you new I was hunting said spot but were to selfish or lazy to go elsewhere. You gotta admit its not fun having someone spoil your hunt when they new full well you were hunting there. Let people be its a big piece of earth with lots of places to hunt. I agree stick with the regs & the laws that govern the province.

goatdancer
09-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Ok first of all I would never mess with another mans vehicle, cause damage to something which is not mine! Thats not how I operate. I said "one day you will try this with the wrong guy!" Not meaning me! We would have words if you purposely walked in on my fresh boot tracks & interfered with my hunt.I would report you for interfearing because you new I was hunting said spot but were to selfish or lazy to go elsewhere. You gotta admit its not fun having someone spoil your hunt when they new full well you were hunting there. Let people be its a big piece of earth with lots of places to hunt. I agree stick with the regs & the laws that govern the province.

Good luck on the ' interfering '. Just because somebody happens to walk in on you does not constitute interfering.

Bugle M In
09-17-2014, 02:51 PM

Well, for 40+ years, and the last 30 with my own choices, I have never encountered a problem with anyone.
It's not like anyone goes out with the intent to harress another hunter etc.
But sometimes, I certain areas, maybe due to all the game sign around, people do get congested in an area.
And you will have to expect tat it can and mostly likely will happen, IF, you hunt particular areas.
Other areas, never even an issue.
All I am saying is make the best of it.
I may follow a trail someone else started up first, but once it opens up, I find my own route etc.
And, you will have to expect that somewhere down the road, the opposite will hold true, someone may follow me up.

I am just giving you what my experiences have been over a long period of time.
Not every situation can be explained to people on a forum as it would take countless pages to type, and I'm not interested in that.

I remember when I was younger, I used to hate seeing another hunter, camper etc.
But, over the years, you realize it has little affect on the actual hunt.
Sure, time to time, things happen at the least opportune time, but that's life!

But in the end, just roll with it, it all works out in the wash.
If one goes around thinking their set of Etiqquette is correct, they you may sadly be disappointed.

The years have just shown me there is no need to worry too much over it all.
And sometimes the clos contact that you may experience at times may lead to some good friendships.

I guess my experience in those situations are different than yourself, and maybe you have had problems with that.
I don't know? just my opinion.... rolling with it has never caused an argument yet, nor ever ruined my hunt that day.
Nor did it ruin the other persons.

One example: some guys had heard of an area where me and my father used to hunt.
someone had given them instructions on where to hunt and where to start out.
Well, they showed up there, saw my fathers foot prints, but still decided to hike up the same path:shock:
So, a an hour or 2 into the hunt, I meet up with my dad, we take a break, and while we are sitting there, up walk these 2 guys.

In your books, you would have given them a tongue lashing yada yada yada.

We said hi, started talking, and in the end moved off in separate directions, never saw each other the rest of the day!

Here comes the best part!!! Are you ready????

We get back to camp and realize our water pipe has completely frozen up, as our heater never worked for years.
2hrs later a truck drives by, and yup, its those same 2 guys!!
they hear about our problem, and they go down to their camp, and return with a portable heater so as to get the pipes unfrozen!
They left us that heater for 3 days!
Had I got all pissy and out of joint up there on the hill as you said you would with me if that happened, ...
Do you think they would have given us a portable heater to use????

NOW THATS KARMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Later :mrgreen:

caddisguy
09-17-2014, 03:57 PM
Its possibly still pending a court case so I'll just give a small snip it, from what I can make out if you equate both sides of the story and find the middle (truth).
A hunter blocked a road, say approx. 1 km from the actual end of the spur.( 2 large cut blocks in this section to the end of road )
His reasoning was he wanted to be left alone to hunt it, and this other group of guys always seems to driving into this road
He realizes now he had screwed up, and I told him don't ever block a road.
But the other group escalated stuff.
The other group, which we call the Clan, as they are all family related, didn't like this, and decided to block this hunter in from getting back out.
Probably also to teach him a lesson??
So, confrontation pursues, one guy in a truck, and a group of guys outside the truck asking him to step out.
As for all the details in between, I can't say, wasn't there, but at some point guy in truck had to smash his truck thru a couple of others to get out of there.
( We saw vehicles being towed out, and all the broken parts where the incident took place!, so that part did happen. )
His truck also became inoperable from the collision, so now you can see where this is all going.
The rest I will leave out, as in my mind it is over and done with and has nothing to do with me.
I only know these guys from years of hunting in the area, and had no problems with either group.
But, all it took was a small thing ( which should have been done the "Etiquette" way, but wasn't ! )
And it led to a Major ordeal out in the middle of nowhere.

So my Etiquette point is don't block roads, and don't think you have exclusive rights!
Exclusive Rights = Private Property

Amazing how stuff can spiral out of control. It's rare, but when it happens it seems to happen pretty quick. Seen some salmon fisherman go crazy. Never had a road blocked on me--at least by an unoccupied vehicle--but I've run into a lot of strange / annoying personalties with entitlement issues and no sense of etiquette. Moving vehicles on the other hand...

Had a few cases around the LML where campers drive 15km/hour on dirt roads avoiding every little pothole in luxury SUV's while not letting anyone pass because they figure the 20 cars lined up beyond them all want to go to the same camp spot on a 60km stretch of road with multiple camp spots / campgrounds and dozens of FSR's that go for miles. Yuppies do the darnedest things on summer weekends.

Another annoyance I have run into a couple of times while driving back down goat trails is people who refuse to back down a little so we can get around each other. If I'm the guy coming up, I always back down the hill until I can make room for the guy coming down to pass. We're talking a steep, nasty slanted goat trails where one slip will get you down the mountain the fast way. Driving up sketchy goat trails backwards is a lot more dangerous than backing down. Seems common sense that unless there's space to pull off super close to the guy driving down, the guy driving up should back down. Had to BS one guy and say a bunch of workers are heading down and they're not gonna drive backwards uphill for him either. In other cases I've accommodated by pulling off risky 30-point turns on steep/uneven spots close to tipping or driving off the side mowing down small trees to compensate for people who got in over their heads and can't handle a little brake work and stearing. Probably shouldn't be trying technical trails or drive up anything if their scared to back down a little. Heck I wonder what they'll do when the trail gets too rough or they get to a rock slide... probably have to back down the whole way anyway.

Also had issues with road hunters not letting me pass too. Nothing against road hunting, I do a little of that too sometimes. I kind of understand why they are afraid to let me pass as well. On my way out this weekend I watched one road hunter dart passed another road hunter and start road hunting in front of him. I'm watching the guy trying to get back in front and the truck in front swerving to block him... both are going like 10km/hour on a 60km/hour main road. Finally one stopped to glass a big slash and I was able sneak by the other one. Seen some guys lose it on a road hunter outside 100 mile house as well. It was a couple fisherman heading up to lake and they were stuck behind a a guy who wouldn't let them pass.

Spy
09-17-2014, 03:59 PM
K I was going on what you said earlier. Following a guys tracks in the snow, well eventually you are going to bump into them. You turned off to hunt the old growth & crossed his tracks again. I cant see how that is giving a guy space to hunt and borders on, well in my eyes interfearing with a guys hunt. I know I would not do that because there is an unwritten rule ;-) As stated in my first post, we had a tree stand and ground blind erected but gave the two guys that were there first their space, even though there was plenty of space for all of us especially when you are bow hunting.
Everyone has things they do differently & these are my views. When I get up to the koots again maybe we can discuss this more around the fire sipping on a Lucky. Gotta admit all the guys Ive met out in the Ek have been stand up guys.
had my say im out & good luck out there.:-)

Bugle M In
09-17-2014, 04:25 PM
K I was going on what you said earlier. Following a guys tracks in the snow, well eventually you are going to bump into them. You turned off to hunt the old growth & crossed his tracks again. I cant see how that is giving a guy space to hunt and borders on, well in my eyes interfearing with a guys hunt. I know I would not do that because there is an unwritten rule ;-) As stated in my first post, we had a tree stand and ground blind erected but gave the two guys that were there first their space, even though there was plenty of space for all of us especially when you are bow hunting.
Everyone has things they do differently & these are my views. When I get up to the koots again maybe we can discuss this more around the fire sipping on a Lucky. Gotta admit all the guys Ive met out in the Ek have been stand up guys.
had my say im out & good luck out there.:-)

Agree with you with stand/blind hunting etiquette, give guys some space for sure.
But sometimes when still hunting/ cruising, you will bump into guys, generally because we/they have some inside knowledge of particular areas.
I have other stories, a time where we've been hunting a general area for several days, then up the road come 3 guys.
Turns out they left supplies in the summer, with tent and stuff etc hidden away.
Their intention had been to hunt there that week as well.
Somehow, over the years we had hunted a week apart from each other.
So, what do you do??
We just made the best of it, and tried to work around each other.
Just make the best of it, after all, it's only a few short days in ones life.
Lots more could be wrong in the general scheme of things.

You bring the Lucky...I'll bring the Wiser's.
Good luck to you this season as well!!!
Cheers

Spy
09-17-2014, 04:32 PM
Agree with you with stand/blind hunting etiquette, give guys some space for sure.
But sometimes when still hunting/ cruising, you will bump into guys, generally because we/they have some inside knowledge of particular areas.
I have other stories, a time where we've been hunting a general area for several days, then up the road come 3 guys.
Turns out they left supplies in the summer, with tent and stuff etc hidden away.
Their intention had been to hunt there that week as well.
Somehow, over the years we had hunted a week apart from each other.
So, what do you do??
We just made the best of it, and tried to work around each other.
Just make the best of it, after all, it's only a few short days in ones life.
Lots more could be wrong in the general scheme of things.

You bring the Lucky...I'll bring the Wiser's.
Good luck to you this season as well!!!
Cheers

And thats what we do we work around each other :-), always have lucky in camp good luck to you to :-)

Thatguy
09-17-2014, 05:01 PM
That is exactly my point and I couldn't agree more. The exact situation that annoyed me makes my perspective clear so I'll bore you guys with the details. My friend was delayed for a day so instead of waiting for him at home, I decided to go out for the evening. I headed out on a logging road that is very popular in the August any bull moose season, but really quiets down when the calendar changes. I had a spot that I planned to walk down but found a few guys camped a short ways down the side road. I waved, turned around, and headed up the main road. I chose a road 11 kms up, parked and walked in. Sitting in the only clearing as it gets to prime time, I hear two quads coming. They park in the middle of the clearing and start waiting for dark. I get up to leave and they come up from behind me, pass me, and carry on. Of course, I could still have had a lucky one, but the odds were undeniably reduced greatly. This trail is only a couple of kms long, grown in, and mostly unproductive other than the clearing. I was just frustrated because I was the only other hunter in the area, their camp was on the access to a large area with numerous blocks, lines, and roads, and there was at least a half dozen roads between the side road they were camped on and the little trail I was parked by. Seemed odd to quad all the way down the main road and head down the only trail with a vehicle parked beside it, not something I or anybody I've ever hunted with would do

dirtrider999
09-18-2014, 10:25 PM
Last year I had drove into the end of this freshly logged area and had seen about 15 deer rum into the tree line including 3 large bucks. The next night my dad and I had parked our quads well before where the deer were seen but 150 yards after the previous turn off. While I was sitting on this slash pile I had watched 11 deer slowly walk from the tree line (300yrds) to about 100yrds in front of me. During that time several vehicles had drove up to our bike and turned around. Every time all the deer stopped and listened. I know that if any of the vehicles had gone past our bikes the deer would have bolted. While none of the big bucks that I had seen that morning came out I was glad that those hunters gave us the space to hunt the log area in peace.