PDA

View Full Version : Caribou before and after

DoubleDD
09-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Just wondering what are peoples take on Caribou. Is the meat really that bad during the rut, and if the season is open long enough after will the meat taste better than during the rut. Is there still time to hunt them with the warmer weather were having. Cheers and good luck to all,

180grainer
09-16-2014, 04:14 PM
I shot a caribou at the end of August and the meat was great for the first 4 months. Doesn't keep well in the freezer, (at least mine didn't). Was with a buddy who shot his at the end of September and the meat was awful. Hard to describe but very unpalatable.

Argali
09-16-2014, 06:21 PM
I have not had caribou from the rut but I have also heard that meat from a caribou in the rut is not good. I am not a chemist but it seems strange to me that hormonal changes could so thoroughly internally contaminate the entire muscle mass of an animal so quickly, like in only a couple of weeks from early Sept to late Sept. It doesn't make sense to me.

The most plausible explanation I have heard or read is that during the rut, the bulls spray highly "aromatic" urine all over themselves and may even ingest some. The hide and hair become completely saturated with urine. When someone touches the hide or hair and then touches the meat, the meat is easily contaminated. Obviously, it is very hard to dress and quarter/debone a caribou in the field without first touching the hide/hair with hands and knife. It would take extreme care, and possibly two knives and gloves and/or continual washing to prevent such cross-contamination. Most people don't take such extreme care and touch/cut both the hide and meat repeatedly, thus contaminating the meat with the undesired "aroma".

Not sure if this is the best or only explanation but it might be worth trying to avoid touching the hair and then the meat with both hands and knife.

40incher
09-16-2014, 06:22 PM
Mountain Caribou meat is the best meat you can get from August 15th to about September 5th, after that it starts to decline. I have had edible meat up to September 15th, but there can be a bit of an aftertaste. For the next month it is very strong, to say the least. Even their blood smells toxic. After the rutting period is over I'm sure the meat quality improves but the hunting season closes on October 15th up here.

Caribou meat from a bull in November would likely be edible if we could still hunt, but access would be an issue.

40incher
09-16-2014, 06:39 PM
I have not had caribou from the rut but I have also heard that meat from a caribou in the rut is not good. I am not a chemist but it seems strange to me that hormonal changes could so thoroughly internally contaminate the entire muscle mass of an animal so quickly, like in only a couple of weeks from early Sept to late Sept. It doesn't make sense to me.

The most plausible explanation I have heard or read is that during the rut, the bulls spray highly "aromatic" urine all over themselves and may even ingest some. The hide and hair become completely saturated with urine. When someone touches the hide or hair and then touches the meat, the meat is easily contaminated. Obviously, it is very hard to dress and quarter/debone a caribou in the field without first touching the hide/hair with hands and knife. It would take extreme care, and possibly two knives and gloves and/or continual washing to prevent such cross-contamination. Most people don't take such extreme care and touch/cut both the hide and meat repeatedly, thus contaminating the meat with the undesired "aroma".

Not sure if this is the best or only explanation but it might be worth trying to avoid touching the hair and then the meat with both hands and knife.

Trust me ... cleanliness is important with any game in the rut (moose, deer, elk, etc ...) but with caribou bulls in full rut it makes no difference. It is in the meat already, it is absolutely toxic for a period of time.

There are exceptions of course, I have heard of bulls shot in peak rut that were fine ... but like I said that would be an exception. I shot a bull on October 1st once and the meat was fine, but he did not have an incisor tooth in his mouth he was so old. Still had velvet hanging of his antlers. He was past rutting age, probably over 10 years old.

If you want Caribou for the meat hunt before September 15th for sure.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Had very good caribou right up until sept 18th. Four bulls from
that date but never anything later.
Meat was comparable to a young bull moose from the same trip. All excellent!

Sitkaspruce
09-16-2014, 08:23 PM
Have had 6 bulls shot between Sept 19 and 26 and they all tasted fine. Not grain fed whitetail or early season moose/elk, but better than most muleys, especially late season.

Cheers

SS

DoubleDD
09-16-2014, 08:35 PM
I am curious as I have just moved to Region 6 and have limited time before the rut starts or maybe it has. I would never want to take a chance on a animal that is not edible. Ill scout around and learn more before I go after them. THANKS FOR THE HELP

Mik
09-16-2014, 08:56 PM
Our camp has shot Caribou around the 27 Sept date and it all taste great :)

Skull Hunter
09-16-2014, 10:24 PM
If you shoot one and it's no good, I know a guy who would use it for trapping bait at least.

weatherbyjunkie
09-16-2014, 11:29 PM
I hunt with a guy who shot a caribou bull 3 years ago on october 4th and it tasted as good or better than the elk we took on that trip

SR80
09-17-2014, 06:45 AM
when does the caribou rut usually start?

ryanb
09-17-2014, 07:25 AM
I find caribou have a distinctive flavor that isn't for everybody. I think this has more to do with the reports of bad meat than the rut.

Caribou_lou
09-17-2014, 07:26 AM
Even though there are guys on here claiming the meat on their caribou was great late September, you would be taking a huge risk! I've heard of hunters bringing their meat home and their dogs won't touch it. Don't risk it and hunt early September. You for sure won't be disappointed with the meat then. Caribou is some of the best meat I've had.

boxhitch
09-17-2014, 07:40 AM
They rut in October , no set date thats why some late September bulls are ok others are rotten. An old outfitter passed on his rule of thumb that any bull taken before Sept 24 was okay.
The bull urine stinks during the rut , take a sniff to decide if the meat will be ok.
Like said , caribou have a different make up than moose or deer , its in the meat .