PDA

View Full Version : Hunt Buddy BC

mike-juliet
09-16-2014, 12:32 PM
If I remember correctly, a fellow member here is the genius behind the Huntbuddy BC App which is by far the best app store purchase I have ever made.

I am trying to download the LEH Zones that I purhchased in the App and the download always fails. It would be handy to have these loaded when I leave for my Elk/LEH Goat hunt on Sunday morning. If someone could post up the user name of the App creater, or if he/she reads this shoot me a PM and maybe we can figure out how to make it work.

Cheers,

Matt

adriaticum
09-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Reach is the name

reach
09-16-2014, 01:20 PM
PM sent. In general on iOS, any time there are problems of just about any kind with an app, delete and reinstall is the most sure-fire way to get things working again.

mike-juliet
09-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Did as you suggested and all is well!

Thank you,

Matt

ian745
09-17-2014, 09:19 AM
ive been playing with it for almost a month, by far my fav app now, had a few arguments easily settled with it about boundaries and seasons..lol

I'd Rather Be Hunting
09-17-2014, 09:39 AM
This app is super useful! There is nothing in it that you can't find using a combination of the regs, maps, etc, but it eliminates the need to carry all that extra stuff, and useful info such as sunrise/sunset is thrown in as well. I love having this on my phone.

bcsteve
09-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Just downloaded the maps for out of cell coverage.

Buck
09-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Yea just downloaded it what a great app.

albravo2
09-17-2014, 02:17 PM
Funny, I was going to start a HuntBuddy thread today.

Have been using mine for a couple weeks and think it is AWESOME. Especially for a drive like I did yesterday/today up from Squamish through Pavillion and Big Bar and back down through Clinton. Multiple MU changes that are near impossible to chart using the regs alone.

Great job Reach!

I think everyone should have it.

ThinAir
09-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Yup best app I own. It's a must have

beeker
09-17-2014, 10:08 PM
downloaded it myself this year.. cant believe i didnt have this sooner 2 thumbs up.

JIL_24/7
09-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Is this only available on IPhone?

albravo2
09-18-2014, 01:41 PM
Is this only available on IPhone?
Mine is for android.

JIL_24/7
09-18-2014, 01:58 PM
Mine is for android.
I can't seem to find it. What do I search for? Huntbuddy BC doesn't return any results

Rusty
09-18-2014, 02:24 PM
just downloaded mine.... looks good so far.
Thanks reach.

JAFA
09-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Can we please get some advice on how best to use this app? I have downloaded it but typically feel I don't use it to its best capacity.

blackford
09-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Do you need connectivity to the internet to use this?

pg83
09-18-2014, 04:54 PM
That would all depend on what and where you are hunting JAFA. Like others posted, its the regs with maps and other goodies such as sunset/sunrise, moon phase, etc. You can use it year round for research purposes as it is very simple to search for open seasons on any species in any MU. You can cache maps to be used while out in the field with no reception. Are you looking to do anything specific with it?

luckofthedraw
09-18-2014, 07:28 PM
just downloaded mine.... looks good so far.
Thanks reach.

x2........

reach
09-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Can we please get some advice on how best to use this app? I have downloaded it but typically feel I don't use it to its best capacity.
The inspiration for it was the many times I've been driving on the way to somewhere and see a grouse... immediately I think, hmm what MU / region am I in? Are grouse open here? What's the limit? The same could easily happen with a spike fork moose or any other critter. That is the core reason for its existence. Over time more features have been added - hunting news, sun & moon, links into the regulations for any detail maps, definitions, motor vehicle and shooting restrictions etc. but the main purpose has always been to distill all the tables and footnotes into an easier to read list of only what is relevant to you "here and now".

More recently the mapping package on iOS makes it more like a full featured GPS as well, but that's a whole other story.

TSW
09-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Love this app as well. Very handy. Reach, any chance of creating a "Fishbuddy" app? I know it'd be a pile of logistics but a guy can dream!

Xenomorph
09-25-2014, 04:19 PM
Reach I just downloaded the app and the maps and cannot access them. I saw your post of deleting the app and reinstalling. Will try it out.

Xenomorph
09-25-2014, 04:30 PM
Reach I just downloaded the app and the maps and cannot access them. I saw your post of deleting the app and reinstalling. Will try it out.

I'm not as tech savvy as I would like to think so ...so, I look at the maps and when I open and switch from regular to satellite it tells me (not cached). Does that mean they didn't download? I really thought I hit the purchase button

reach
09-26-2014, 01:39 AM
Sent you a PM. The regular Apple map types (normal, satellite, hybrid) can't be cached but with the mapping package some new types should appear that can be downloaded. The most useful for hunting IMHO is the GeoBC Topo.

Phil A. Bowl
10-01-2014, 08:23 AM
How do I download maps on my samsung from this app so I can use when I have no service

reach
10-01-2014, 12:10 PM
How do I download maps on my samsung from this app so I can use when I have no service
I sent you a message but didn't realize you're on Android. The offline maps option is iOS only at the moment. On Android there's no guarantee maps will be available offline; only the boundary lines. You can scroll around in the area you need and the OS does usually cache some maps but the app has no control over how much or how long.

Ranger95
10-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Kudu and I where heading into 5-15 (b) for our Moose draw - a long long way from any type of comms.

Here where our concerns / needs

1) How to get help quickly in an emergency (I'm talking airlift if need be)

2) How to keep in touch with others on a regular (daily) basis

3) Our Mu is a skinny one - national parks take up half of the MU and we could easily (unintentionally) wander into the park and find ourselves in deep crap with a dead moose / deer at our feet

We had the hunt buddy app on our phones and IPads we had gps (garmin) and radios - but how to keep it all together in a nice little package?

Kudu downloaded the LEH maps on Hunt budy Zoomed in on 15-2(b) and downloaded topo maps to suit the zone.

He then paired the "Inreach SE" with my his pad / IPhone and we were good to go (Genius)

The IPad / hunt buddy allowed us mobility - it had live tracking 24/7, so we always knew exactly where we where, the SE unit allowed kudu to text his wife's phone and send emails to her iPad 24/7 - and the SOS function would have brought a chopper into our exact location if need be.

This package gets a 100% endorsement from us - (and a couple of others who got the draw and kept coming to us for help on the MU boundaries)

here are a couple of screen shots of the system working - the blue spot is us, unfortunately we forgot to take a screen shot af the Sat (Google Earth) map

standard map (note the national park in green)

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/poofter_paddi/0a6802012daa62bdbb133083c8f58a23_zpsb3534cf6.jpg

Topo map of the same area (note the sightings and moose sign)

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/poofter_paddi/8d6986104c2ecad621bc2479982ca453_zps3c8bf05b.jpg

Wentrot
10-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Dang...wish the android version got that much love.

swampdonkey
10-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Dang...wish the android version got that much love.x2 I think he is working on it though

Wentrot
10-01-2014, 02:54 PM
x2 I think he is working on it though

Oh yes, I mean nothing bad by that comment I still love the app and fully recommend it. I am just jealous of the features on the iphone models, those last screenshots really look appealing.

quaint bucket
10-01-2014, 04:15 PM
I really like the topo maps. I wish I could download it for use on my garmin etrex

swampdonkey
10-01-2014, 04:17 PM
Oh yes, I mean nothing bad by that comment I still love the app and fully recommend it. I am just jealous of the features on the iphone models, those last screenshots really look appealing.I agree he ha done a great job on that app. Hopefully he can do something with the android version

luckofthedraw
01-21-2015, 06:35 AM
Shout out to Hunt buddy! Got a notification last night from hunt buddy. Came in as a bulging elk. When I checked, it was a post about the importance of the allocation changes and links to every site on Facebook to get involved in your area. Well played. Thanks to the guys behind that.

srupp
01-21-2015, 11:30 AM
Hmmmm totaly newbie...so android tablet it cant be preloaded on a micro sc chip?.and how do you pay for the service?
Ironic that the place used for demos was the exact place boundaries, co, s etc played out with fines?
Wish I knew more tech.
Great program Reach?
Cheers
Srupp

luckofthedraw
07-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Hey Reach. I am having issues with the app. I'm operating an android and for quite some time the map function won't pin to my current location anymore; it use to work flawless. Just seeing if anyone else is having this issue.

Also, is their an update out that my phone isn't loading. I read online that your able to set way points now...is this function for android yet? Thanks. LOTD.

ruger#1
07-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Mine is working fine with wifi. I have the HTC android.

luckofthedraw
07-03-2015, 04:07 PM
Weird. I go to "map", then click the icon in the top left corner of the map. With the red "x". It used to refresh to a green "x" and update my pin...even when I wasn't on wifi, which I loved. Now, not so much. I tried rebooting the phone.

ruger#1
07-03-2015, 04:12 PM
When I hit the red X, It goes to where I live. I am running Android version 5.0.2

Boner
07-03-2015, 06:42 PM
I just purchased this for my iPhone 6. It looks great so far!

gmachine19
07-03-2015, 07:15 PM
Ugh! waiting for my phone contract to expire so I can buy this. It sucks that it doesn't run on windows phones!

reach
07-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Hey Reach. I am having issues with the app. I'm operating an android and for quite some time the map function won't pin to my current location anymore; it use to work flawless. Just seeing if anyone else is having this issue.

Also, is their an update out that my phone isn't loading. I read online that your able to set way points now...is this function for android yet? Thanks. LOTD.
Hi LOTD, no nothing has changed with the location code... you might check the Android settings to see if the app still has permission to access your location. And when in doubt, a delete and reinstall is usually a safe bet. Is it just that app, or do other apps have problems with location too?

The base app is more or less the same on iOS and Android but the tracks / waypoints / offline maps option isn't available for Android at the moment... only iOS for now.

Ohwildwon
07-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Ugh! waiting for my phone contract to expire so I can buy this. It sucks that it doesn't run on windows phones!

Hopefully your contract expires soon, couse it is sweet!

07blackwater
07-04-2015, 04:54 PM
I'm waiting for the elk bugle to tell me leh is out!

Caught me off guard last year!

ducktoller
07-04-2015, 07:47 PM
I'm waiting for the elk bugle to tell me leh is out!

Caught me off guard last year!

That's my favourite thing it does. Last year it caught me off guard in traffic and caused my dog to start barking and flipping out on hwy 1.

Boner
07-05-2015, 07:34 AM
i can't wait, I'm already planning some of my hunts that aren't LEH dependant.

The Hermit
07-05-2015, 08:09 AM

hummmm or is it that Windoze phones suck? <razzzz>

Sylus
07-05-2015, 08:14 AM
Just got it, best app on my phone bar none.

luckofthedraw
07-05-2015, 07:56 PM
When I hit the red X, It goes to where I live. I am running Android version 5.0.2

I really wish mine still did that. I don't know whats up. This is my favorite app; it helped me out a bunch of times. If anyone has any suggestions for me, let me know. It just doesn't pick up my location for the map function anymore???

gmachine19
07-05-2015, 08:11 PM
hummmm or is it that Windoze phones suck? <razzzz>

It's not a bad phone. Bought it because it had a monstrous camera. 41 mp!

FourOhs
07-06-2015, 03:56 PM
I can't seem to find it. What do I search for? Huntbuddy BC doesn't return any resultsI just searched for "hunt buddy" and found "Hunt Buddy BC" by HollerSoft was about the fourth entry in the search results.

luckofthedraw
07-06-2015, 11:47 PM
Hi LOTD, no nothing has changed with the location code... you might check the Android settings to see if the app still has permission to access your location. And when in doubt, a delete and reinstall is usually a safe bet. Is it just that app, or do other apps have problems with location too?

The base app is more or less the same on iOS and Android but the tracks / waypoints / offline maps option isn't available for Android at the moment... only iOS for now.

Thanks. Got it figured out. My settings must have got adjusted when I hit airplane mode or something.

This app is great; you do great work! I'll probably switch to an iphone if these way points don't come to android soon. :wink: My contract is up in the fall.

xfactor
07-07-2015, 11:24 AM

is there an app that does the tracks/waypoint/offline maps for android? is it something that will be coming in the near future? or is this a case of bringing the iPad? I am on a samsung note4. love the phone don't see myself going back to iPhone.

reach
07-08-2015, 09:42 AM
is there an app that does the tracks/waypoint/offline maps for android? is it something that will be coming in the near future? or is this a case of bringing the iPad? I am on a samsung note4. love the phone don't see myself going back to iPhone.
The iPad does make a good mapping platform (nice big screen) but if it's not the cellular model, then it doesn't have a GPS receiver. You'd have to use an external receiver or else you wouldn't be able to get a location fix when away from WiFi. And WiFi location is not very accurate of course.

At this point I think you'd be better off looking for a separate mapping app for Android. Here's a thread with some good looking options: Offline GPS apps for Android? (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?109240-Offline-GPS-apps-for-Android) I don't have personal experience with any of them to recommend one.

albravo2
07-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Big fan of the product. My only gripe is that I feel like a thief every time I use it.

A product like HuntBuddy takes a sh*t-ton of work to produce and update, I could easily justify a higher cost or a yearly fee for updates or something like that.

No, I'm not one of Reach's buddies. I just love the product and want to see him motivated to keep going with it.

The Hermit
07-08-2015, 10:11 AM
^^^what he said^^^

The Dawg
07-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Big fan of the product. My only gripe is that I feel like a thief every time I use it.

A product like HuntBuddy takes a sh*t-ton of work to produce and update, I could easily justify a higher cost or a yearly fee for updates or something like that.

No, I'm not one of Reach's buddies. I just love the product and want to see him motivated to keep going with it.

See John? Told you! :)

We have had this discussion a few times every time he's adding more

07blackwater
07-26-2015, 09:58 PM
Many app developers will increase the price over time and see what people will pay.
I don't know of any that 'punish' early adopters (like me heh) by starting to charge a subscription price.

There's lots of apps I supported during early development that have increased in price 10 fold.

It's an awesome app but I'm not sure I would have tried it if it cost more than it does now as it's already at the upper end of what any app costs.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat though!

kush
07-27-2015, 10:54 AM
If you reformat your phone or get a new phone, can you just download the app again for free?

Bubba123
07-27-2015, 11:50 AM
If you reformat your phone or get a new phone, can you just download the app again for free?

Not sure about Android, but Iphone/Ipad purchases are saved in the APP Store, so you can download everything you have had before on your new device.

Wagonmaster
07-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Being from Victoria, I would like to see exactly where private land stops and crown land begins. Any way these boundaries can be seen using this app?

07blackwater
07-27-2015, 11:46 PM

On Android yes, and any device registered to you on the play store.

Edge
07-28-2015, 06:11 AM
The iPad does make a good mapping platform (nice big screen) but if it's not the cellular model, then it doesn't have a GPS receiver. You'd have to use an external receiver or else you wouldn't be able to get a location fix when away from WiFi. And WiFi location is not very accurate of course.

At this point I think you'd be better off looking for a separate mapping app for Android. Here's a thread with some good looking options: Offline GPS apps for Android? (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?109240-Offline-GPS-apps-for-Android) I don't have personal experience with any of them to recommend one.
I was up in the "elkwoods" scouting a couple weeks back and of course...no cell service....I used the "BAD ELF" gps for Iphone and it worked great. This software is incredible. Reminded me of the chartplotter days on the ocean when I used same configuration (different software & hardware) to plot my where abouts on detailed maps. And +1 on a feature that shows private vs. public land would be awesome !!

reach
08-04-2015, 12:41 AM
Being from Victoria, I would like to see exactly where private land stops and crown land begins. Any way these boundaries can be seen using this app?
If you check out this post on the website (http://huntbuddybc.com/index.php/custom-map-sources/), it has details and a video on how to configure custom map sources in the app if you have the mapping package. One of the sample URLs is for the private land layers from the BC online cadastre. You can tweak the LAYERS part of the URL to include different classifications of land ownership if the ones included aren't quite to your liking.

bwerb
10-26-2015, 12:03 PM
What do the purple dotted lines on the maps signify?

Ohwildwon
10-26-2015, 12:52 PM
What do the purple dotted lines on the maps signify?

Recreation trails... May or may not be there, ie over grown or blocked from blowdown...

drum_boy101
10-26-2015, 01:24 PM
You can re-download as long as you don't switch platforms (ie. doesn't work going from android to iphone or vice versa)...

ian745
11-09-2015, 01:50 PM
if i do switch from android to iphone, which i`m doing tomorrow, , i`ll have to repurchase the app?

drum_boy101
11-09-2015, 02:01 PM
if i do switch from android to iphone, which i`m doing tomorrow, , i`ll have to repurchase the app?
Yes you will have to re-purchase.

ian745
11-09-2015, 05:40 PM
ah damnit, that sucks, ahwll, worth it though

Slinky Pickle
11-09-2015, 06:05 PM
Reach, is there any update on when the Android version might get upgraded to catch up with the iOS version? I love the product but I'm moderately jealous of the iGuys. :)