PDA

View Full Version : Cali Sheep Success

charlie_horse
09-15-2014, 09:57 PM
First off, Sorry for the late post, and most importantly a huge thanks to Srupp and Bcfarmer, I wouldn’t have known where to start for Cali sheep hunting without their knowledge, they know their shit. To me this was a difficult hunt and not what I thought sheep hunting was. It was putting miles on the boots through thick timber watching your steps and wind.

I put out an ad a couple weeks ago for a sheep hunting partner for my similkameen sheep. I had received a few PM’s from the board which I really appreciated. Bcfarmer knows the area very well so when I arrived in Keremeos I met up with him for a beer or four and put the fish I brought him into the freezer. Now off to sheep talk and google earth. He showed me a few areas on the map to focus on and off I went to spot for a few hours. Seen a ram and two goats from the highway. Back to Bcfarmers for the night where he and his wife kindly offered a bed.

Saturday and Sunday before opening day, spent all Saturday morning in a spot where I didn’t mean to be, I saw 3 ewes and a lamb. In the afternoon I figured out where I meant to be and hiked this ridge where I saw a ton of sign, but no sheep. That night around 11pm, sound asleep I wake up to heavy breathing about two feet outside my tent, I start scrambling around for light and my rifle yelling at the bear outside my tent to eff off. All of a sudden MOOOOOO, cow walks off, no bullet hole in the tent and I change my underwear and back to bed.

Sunday I went and checked out this area across the valley where I was the day before and seen some sign but after lunch decided to go back to where I was the day before. When I got back there, I run into the local guide where I’m sure he was looking for the other three lucky lottery winners. We shoot the shit for a bit and he says he was going right into where I wanted to go for opening day tomorrow. Dammit. So I tell him that I wont go in there. I go back down the mountain and have a couple beers with Bcfarmer and get to meet the other lottery winner. So we go back up and drink and prepare for opening day.

Monday I go to the area I was in the day before, seen nothing but grouse.

Tuesday I go back to the area where I told the guide I wouldn’t be on opening day. Wearing out the leather on my boots and see nothing but grouse when all of a sudden I see some fresh poo and hike up this bank to see two rams, both shooters, spooked they started off before I could get a round chambered. At least I had some hope. Make my way back to camp and meet up with other hunter. We decide to go in together and try and find the rams. Spend the evening in there and nothing.

D-Day: The wind was so bad I thought I was going to be doing barrel rolls all night and the rain was torrential. We both decided to sleep in until 8 when the rain finally died down a bit. We both go back into the area where I seen the rams and we get there around 9ish. Put on some more miles when we are feeling different about where we are going to see rams. He wants to stay a bit higher and I want to go a bit lower to where I seen the rams, we split up with the radios. About 5-8 minutes later I see a nice ram bedded under a pine and has no idea he is about to take his last breaths. He hears me chamber a round, stands up and stairs at me and boom through the chest. He runs off downhill for about 2 – 300 yards and I get another round through his lungs. Pictures, cheers and a beer later we cape and cut him up and I hike out back to camp.

Thursday morning we go back in to see if we can other hunter his ram but we see nothing all morning and by mid morning I have to say goodbye and head off to get CI and get to taxidermist while I can before I have to drive home to squamish. This was my first sheep hunt and not what I expected but it really was the best hunting trip I’ve been on and met some wicked people. It was aged at 8.5 years and made full curl.

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/charlie_horse/slideshow/

Duidery
09-15-2014, 10:12 PM
Congrats, beauty ram and great story. Thanks for posting.

srupp
09-15-2014, 10:20 PM
A BIG congradulations Kyle...you earned that ram, you never gave up....Calies are the hardest sheep to harvest...smaller numbers and you certainly have to change how you hunt them. Bcfarmer knew your area and it was my privilege to spend the time sharing the 30 plus years of hunting and living amongst these wonderful sheep and a few change in tactics certainly paid off...Harley will do you good on the taxidermy.
Its so satisfying when you know you can help, and then it all comes together...what this forum can be really good at.now looking back all the different tactics we discussed all makes sense? Its what you have to do to be successful at hunting the majestic Californian bighorn sheep.
Well done,
Cheers
Srupp

Buck
09-15-2014, 10:28 PM
Congrats to you that is a tough one to get done.

.264winmag
09-15-2014, 10:41 PM
What a beauty! Great job. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Whonnock Boy
09-15-2014, 10:51 PM
Awesome! Way to make good use of the LEH. Props to Farmer and Rupp for their generous help.

mtnmannbc
09-15-2014, 11:21 PM
Great ram!! Good on ya

Blainer
09-15-2014, 11:30 PM
Absolutely Fantastic!!!

SR80
09-16-2014, 06:49 AM
congrats, great little story too.. Hes a beauty

Blainer
09-16-2014, 07:00 AM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/charlie_horse/DSC00626_zps7cbdb9f4.jpg?7

Had to look again
Great looking ram!
Plenty of reason to be proud of that trophy.

coach
09-16-2014, 07:32 AM
Wow! Congratulations. That is a great California bighorn. Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.

Bighorn hunter
09-16-2014, 08:14 AM
What a beauty! Tough country for sure!

d6dan
09-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Beauty Ram. Congrats on your first sheep. :-D

one-shot-wonder
09-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Congrats on a great ram! Love the flared out horns....you'll never forget this hunt!

deadlyshot19
09-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Great ram! Thanks for the share.

J_T
09-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Nice Ram, but that is a Canucks sweater you're wearing. I'm not sure it adds to the great pic of the ram.

tayleoscar
09-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Great ram!! Congrats

bangbangkhan
09-16-2014, 11:18 AM
ohh man...great story and congrats...thanks for sharing!

09-16-2014, 11:22 AM
That's terrific congrats to you and your hard work paid off

Wild Images
09-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Great Ram !! Every time you look at him on the wall you will relive that time, Well Done ! :mrgreen:

Stone Sheep Steve
09-16-2014, 11:59 AM
Congrats!!! That draw is not as easy to find a good ram as some people think.

Well done!

SSS

pg83
09-16-2014, 01:30 PM
congrats on a fine cali. thanks for the story and pics.

40incher
09-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Great ... I'd take that ram any day. Nice tight curl for a Cali. Congratulations!!

180grainer
09-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Awesome ram. Congrats

Ovis17
09-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Congrats! Nice looking ram.

killer_shot
09-16-2014, 09:57 PM
Wow always dreamed of hunting sheep in that area, guess i should start filling out LEH again been slacking. thanks for the inspiration and sharing your story. Congrats on hunt of a life time !

bearheart
09-17-2014, 06:14 AM
Marvelous and inspirational! Treasure the moment.

Brez
09-18-2014, 07:48 AM
great ram. congrats. thanks for posting

Brambles
09-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Nice work on the ram, thanks for taking the time to post up. Heck of a nice Cali

bckoothunter
09-18-2014, 11:28 AM
Congrats! Awesome ram and thanks for sharing.

kennyj
09-18-2014, 07:02 PM
Congratulations on a beauty California Bighorn! Thanks for sharing your story and photos.
kenny