PDA

View Full Version : No deer down but some exciting first few days of open season

caddisguy
09-15-2014, 12:38 PM
There's a couple of areas on a mountain that we've been scouting hard over the spring and summer. We've seen a couple 4x4's, a spike and a bunch of does as recently as August. Trailcams show that we have a cougar hunting the same area, adding some verification we're in the right place. Both are fairly thick and steep terrain. Both are also extra crunchy right now, so it's hard not to sound like an elephant. Though being completely still in thick stuff is limiting, we decided the best strategy is just to hike in, take positions and be still, using the crunchy floor to bust deer rather than getting busted.

We hiked into area #1 and climbed up to our spot to snatch the trailcam footage. No new deer but we decided to sit and wait for a while anyway. After about 20 minutes I hear my girlfriend say "cat coming". I turned my head expecting to see a cougar, but it turned out to be a large bobcat. It was a beauty cat. Nice and healthy and in the 35-45lb range. Kind of a magical moment, but it was staring her down and kept closing in. At around 5-7 yards out, I stood up, turned towards it and made some noise. It took off about 20 yards and went up a tree. It stopped to glare at her for another 30 seconds or so. At this point I'm turning on my camera. I got it filming just in time for the cat to pounce down from out of the tree and scramble away. Doesn't look like much being a further away and no zoom ability on the head cam, but I'll probably put the video up tonight. It's HD so I might end up with some good digitally zoomed still-frames of it in mid flight. Never heard of a bobcat being aggressive towards people, but I guess sitting and being still probably made us look like prey. I imagine this thing has taken a few fawns or does in their beds. Always good to have a hunting partner. I would not have seen or heard this thing despite frequent shoulder checking. It came from down wind and used a moss covered log to creep in for a silent approach. I think if either of us were hunting solo or even if we separated rather than hunting virtually back-to-back like we do in areas with lots of cats, this thing would have inflicted some damage. Always figured this would happen one day because we spend a lot of time in cat infested places, but if someone had told me it would happen with a bobcat rather than a cougar--or even suggested that a bobcat might be a danger--I would have laughed it off.

We hiked in to spot #2 and sat down to look and listen. After about 20 minutes of watching and listening, we hear crunching and snapping in the distance, estimating about 60 yards away. It would come closer, then move further away, then closer again, setting off squirrel alarms all around. It stopped at an estimated 40 yards away. 20 minutes later, still nothing so we decided to go in and check it out. Maybe something bedded down will stand up when we are close enough to see it. Nothing, dang... probably sleeping near by but still a needle in a haystack unless it moves. Thought about doing a grunt or doe bleep but figured it would hurt more than it would help at this point in the season.

That was about it for excitment. Missed out on a dozen grouse. They were all under really thick cover and no chance to spot them before they flush. With no grouse being exposed on the ground and not having a shotgun made it impossible. Now that the gf has a 30-06 and shoots distance like a pro, I'm thnking of picking up a used 12 or 16gauge so I can get grouse and deer with the same gun. Carrying around 2 guns or having to worry about leaving the extra gun in the jeep is no fun. I'll have the quick short range shots covered and she'll have the longer shots covered.

Oh! And the final bit of excitement we were doing a little road hunting some FSR's along the way out. We stopped to check out a spot where we've seen a few deer and some grouse. Ended up finding a bunch more fresh stinky cat poop. We followed a trail a ways into the bush and stopped to listen. After a few minutes, we saw some animals darting around, not identifable because of the thick bush. There were at least 3 of them closing in on us. And then we heard... whistling. Ah hah! Someone is running some hunting dogs. We ended up catching up with them down the road and chatted a bit. Super nice folks out for the day flushing grouse with the dogs. Makes me want to rent or borrow a dog some day ;-P

Anyway, hoping to post a story of my first deer down soon. I really thought it would happen on this trip, but we have good spots--though a bit tough to hunt--we learn more each time and the season is young. I know other regions are more productive--and I be out in Region 3 a bit in October--but I like a good challenge and will make this Region 2 thing happen one way or the other. If anyone has any tips for tracking/spotting/stalking deer in thick/crunchy/shadey timber Good luck to to all! :)

boxhitch
09-16-2014, 05:57 AM
Sounds like a good outing
deer make noise too , but its tough to move along as slow as they do . Walk a few seconds and then stand still for a few minutes . Use your binos to scan ahead before moving again , looking low under branches , and look for a part of a deer liek an ear , don't expect to see the whole body. Using binos in the tight bush takes time , making progress slower like it should be.
Its tough to spend the necessary time unless you are confident there are deer in the area.

adriaticum
09-16-2014, 06:10 AM
Its worth having a cat tag or two.
Its fun deciphering bush sounds.
Sofa king and I thought we heard deer raking antlers and it turned out to be a squirrel dropping nuts.
One thing that surprised me was seeing big eastern gray squirrels high on a mountain.

caddisguy
09-16-2014, 08:13 AM
It is pretty exciting when you hear things moving through the bush. My hearing isn't the best--I just catch the obvious--but my vision is great. My gf is the opposite and has ultra-sonic hearing and busted the bobcat and a black bear so far this year. I wouldn't have heard either in a million years.

In this case the loud snapping sounds seemed to be coming from the floor. It sounded like it had good weight to it. Could have been anything between a bear and a doe. It even crossed our minds that it could be a stealthy hunter, but never seen human or human sign there. Even moving slow and paying attention to footing each step it's impossible not to snap sticks.

Definitely some deer around. Seen lots of September bucks and a few bears there over the years and a pretty darn good one mid August. Also had the Moultrie catching deer there--posted condensed vid on another thread--until the camera died late August. Only night buck on the cam for the week I had it going but got a few does visiting and bedding regularly as well as a cougar. I put a new cam up on the weekend close by in a more strategic spot.

Checked out the aftermath of the bobcat incident from the headcam footage, but without optical zoom the bobcat jumping out of the tree doesn't look like much of anything. May as well be a squirrel. I cropped and digitally zoomed a couple frames at the end but it's real grainy. I'll post it anyway in a little bit when I'm at a PC along with a rehash of the trailcam stuff and hopefully add some updates on this thread in a couple weeks.

caddisguy
09-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Here's the video with the last bit of the bobcat encounter. Not much to see since it's so far out at this point and no optical zoom. It's the best I could do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvtRzkYw3hM

caddisguy
09-16-2014, 09:22 AM
My apologies for those who have seen this trailcam video and the next one already. Just trying to consolidate my Region 2 efforts into one thread. Any other tips for hunting these kinds of terrain are appreicated. One thing I noticed is that despite all the deer around I never see any poop. There are a lot of what I suspect to be old rubs. Also found a tree that looked like a cougar scratching post... it was shredded all around about 15 feet up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9bLzAx9e8M

caddisguy
09-16-2014, 09:23 AM
We've been seeing this spike and doe off and on since the Spring time. This is also the spot where the bobcat came to visit. Also technically the whole area is mule territory, but I would be curious to hear opinions on whether the deer in these videos look more like mules, blacktails or hybrids genetically speaking. It might be relevant in regards to hunting strategy. In my opinion they seem like hybrids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti-nMVPoqBY

Sofa King
09-16-2014, 09:42 AM
cool stuff.
I had a great encounter with a bobcat up above kettle valley, back before the fire rolled through.
I was up a sidehill watching a ravine that ran from just up a ways down past me and continued below.
I'm camo'd head to toe in a 3D outfit.
suddenly I see something.
I actually "don't" see anything, but I can sense something is looking right at me.
it took a long time to finally spot a face down below in the brush.
but I still couldn't really make out what it was, just noticed eyes and nose.
we were froze staring at each other for ages.
then it finally moved and I could make out the whole bobcat.
it slowly meandered it's way up the sidehill toward me.
it wasn't in any mood it seemed, just walking about and now coming up to see what it had noticed but couldn't identify either.
when it got to about five feet away, it still hadn't found me again.
but I wasn't about to let it get closer and then startle it.
I did a little "yoo-hoo" whistle and it froze in it's tracks and it's eyes got the size of saucers.
it seemed shocked that it had gotten so close to something and hadn't seen it first.
it didn't know what the hell I was still.
after another eternity of locked eyes, I slowly moved my hand to my side and gave a little wave.
we stared a little longer then it lost interest and just continued strolling on it's way up the hill above.
it was one of the coolest things ever, and back when I wasn't always packing a camera.