PDA

View Full Version : Good open water fishing near LML

Sarge789
09-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Hey there,

So my brother and I recently purchased a little 14' lund with some down riggers and a 25 mer on it. The guy we bought it from used it plenty on the open water fishing for salmon and I'd like to do the same. Not too far from shore as it is a small boat for the ocean, but we should be fine to go out for the day on a nice fall weekend.

Wondering if anyone knows any decent spots or has any tips for where to fish the open water near the lower mainland. Closest boat launches would be white rock or crescent but I can go to delta or anywhere else if need be. Haven't ever gone out on the ocean by myself so I don't know where to fish for salmon or other tasty creatures!

Help is much appreciated,

Sarge

recoil
09-15-2014, 09:52 AM
West van has a small launch if you want to try there for some coho or springs, you can get good fishing some days within sight of the launch. If the boat is on a trailer you may have parking issues though, best to throw it in the back of your truck if you can. I myself would not take a boat that size out to sand heads etc, I have had waves nearly come over the bow of my 18' out there and the weather changes fast.

09-15-2014, 01:24 PM
West van is a good bet this time of year, avoid the weekends as a rookie, cap mouth, pink apartments can produce some fantastic fishing for some huge springs ! Sorry no launch advise there. Fraser mouth north arm, pt. Grey bell buoy, can be very good too. Tswassen to fraser south arm can be a terrific producer thus time of year too, boat launch on the ferry causeway, 2 road in Stevenson area, . Lots of folks fish with your size of boat and smaller, just don't be crazy, no your limit and fish within it ........ Shite man I used to cross Georgia straight within 11 footer but I was young and plain stupid!

Good do luck to you.

Sasquatch
09-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Agree West Van is a great spot for a boat that size, parking is an issue at that launch though.

You can also launch a small boat at Tsawassen and fish around the coal port if you've got a truck with good traction. Just watch the tides as it can be tough at low tide and make sure you keep your eyes on the ferries, they kick up quite a wake.
There is some good salmon fishing there.

MB_Boy
09-15-2014, 02:26 PM
West van is a good bet this time of year, avoid the weekends as a rookie, cap mouth, pink apartments can produce some fantastic fishing for some huge springs ! Sorry no launch advise there. Fraser mouth north arm, pt. Grey bell buoy, can be very good too. Tswassen to fraser south arm can be a terrific producer thus time of year too, boat launch on the ferry causeway, 2 road in Stevenson area, . Lots of folks fish with your size of boat and smaller, just don't be crazy, no your limit and fish within it ........

Good do luck to you.

Curly definitely nailed it. All good spots to try but as he mentioned be careful and don't push things in a boat your size. The mouths of the Fraser depending on tides and wind can be some dangerous water in a boat that size. In saying that.....you should see what people are out there in right now chasing sockeye! Those tasty fish bring people out in pretty much anything that floats!

Cap mouth and along West Van will be kicking out springs and coho right now and have good reports; will have my own on Wednesday to chime in with as I think we're finally retiring from the sockeye extravaganza. As Curly said....stay out of the pack if it's your first time out there as it turns into a sh*t show this time of year. Also keep out of the shipping lane as the freighters and cruise ships come thru and Harbour Patrol doesn't have a lot of patience for the sportfishermen there. Hopefully guys start "getting it" about staying out of it as I'd really hate to see that area right around the mouth of the Cap get shut down as a safety precaution due to negligent, stupid fishermen.

All along Spanish Banks along the channel markers to the big red Bell Buoy out off the end of Point Grey will have fish (springs, coho, sockeye) this time of year. Heck there was sockeye jumping last week all over along there right into Royal Van Yacht Club. If intending to fish along that side you can launch at Vanier Park right down by the Planetarium kind of underneath the Burrard Bridge. You shouldn't have too many troubles with a boat your size there but you may want to avoid trying to launch or retrieve at an extreme low tide. They are doing work at the ramp but it's pretty much just the dilapidated docks that were there and not so much the ramp itself.

Earlier in the year/summer (or thru the later winter months) you can also fish "hole in the wall" and launch either in Horseshoe Bay or Sunset Marina which is just north on 99. Hole in the Wall is that area along highway 99 in Howe Sound from Horseshoe Bay up towards Lions Bay.

As you can tell....LOTS of areas to fish but just be sure to do it within your limits and comfort level. Definitely take a look at the conditions at various spots before going out. I take the "marine FORECAST" from Environment Canada with a grain of salt as it is FAR from being consistent. In saying that though you can check current conditions at many spots locally at the link below. Click the tab that says "weather conditions" and you can see what is going on at various spots around the Greater Vancouver area.

http://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=03&siteID=14305

"Where" is good at any time can really be dependent on what species of salmon you are chasing. Now for example the Fraser mouths are crazy with sockeye but there are definitely springs and coho out there too. When the pinks are coming it can be crazy out there or even along West Van as those fish head towards the Seymour River and places beyond. The Cap fishery is all coho and Chinook that return into there. Through August and September out by the Bell Buoy off Point Grey can be great for springs and coho as well. The spring fishery around the lower mainland tends to be a bit more focussed out off the south end of Bowen at "the hump" or across the Strait around the east side of Gabriola. (Thrasher Rock) In saying that though we were getting springs through May out off the north Arm between the Bell Buoy and the QA marker which is a navigation buoy about 3 nautical miles due west of the Bell Buoy.

Definitely keep up to snuff on the regs as there is a lot to pay attention to on this side.....like NO rockfish or ling cod despite what you may see some boats doing out there. :roll: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/map-carte-eng.asp

One thing to take note of is that even though you will be in cell coverage areas locally here, it is not a bad idea to invest in a handheld marine VHF. It is a very good piece of equipment to have when out on the saltchuck. There are also courses you can take as to the proper use which are I think a couple of days on a weekend but well worthwhile. You can definitely listen to the radio and tell that quite a few don't know how to properly use one! :tongue: "If" you do happen to get one as a quick tip as well; read the manual and find out how to change it to US mode as opposed to Canadian. You will still get the Canadian channels but it will also allow you to get 88A which tends to be the local fishing chatter station. I leave mine in US mode all the time but it is quick and easy to change over whether fishing or just cruising.

Feel free to ask away.....I know Curly and others here have a lot of experience locally as do I and more than happy to help out. :wink:

Sarge789
09-16-2014, 04:43 PM
Great comments, thanks guys.. I'm going to have to try and digest this information and get back to you on that MB_Boy... Lots to learn!

Cheers,

Sarge

Bag1
09-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Curly definitely nailed it. All good spots to try but as he mentioned be careful and don't push things in a boat your size. The mouths of the Fraser depending on tides and wind can be some dangerous water in a boat that size. In saying that.....you should see what people are out there in right now chasing sockeye! Those tasty fish bring people out in pretty much anything that floats!

Cap mouth and along West Van will be kicking out springs and coho right now and have good reports; will have my own on Wednesday to chime in with as I think we're finally retiring from the sockeye extravaganza. As Curly said....stay out of the pack if it's your first time out there as it turns into a sh*t show this time of year. Also keep out of the shipping lane as the freighters and cruise ships come thru and Harbour Patrol doesn't have a lot of patience for the sportfishermen there. Hopefully guys start "getting it" about staying out of it as I'd really hate to see that area right around the mouth of the Cap get shut down as a safety precaution due to negligent, stupid fishermen.

All along Spanish Banks along the channel markers to the big red Bell Buoy out off the end of Point Grey will have fish (springs, coho, sockeye) this time of year. Heck there was sockeye jumping last week all over along there right into Royal Van Yacht Club. If intending to fish along that side you can launch at Vanier Park right down by the Planetarium kind of underneath the Burrard Bridge. You shouldn't have too many troubles with a boat your size there but you may want to avoid trying to launch or retrieve at an extreme low tide. They are doing work at the ramp but it's pretty much just the dilapidated docks that were there and not so much the ramp itself.

Earlier in the year/summer (or thru the later winter months) you can also fish "hole in the wall" and launch either in Horseshoe Bay or Sunset Marina which is just north on 99. Hole in the Wall is that area along highway 99 in Howe Sound from Horseshoe Bay up towards Lions Bay.

As you can tell....LOTS of areas to fish but just be sure to do it within your limits and comfort level. Definitely take a look at the conditions at various spots before going out. I take the "marine FORECAST" from Environment Canada with a grain of salt as it is FAR from being consistent. In saying that though you can check current conditions at many spots locally at the link below. Click the tab that says "weather conditions" and you can see what is going on at various spots around the Greater Vancouver area.

http://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=03&siteID=14305

"Where" is good at any time can really be dependent on what species of salmon you are chasing. Now for example the Fraser mouths are crazy with sockeye but there are definitely springs and coho out there too. When the pinks are coming it can be crazy out there or even along West Van as those fish head towards the Seymour River and places beyond. The Cap fishery is all coho and Chinook that return into there. Through August and September out by the Bell Buoy off Point Grey can be great for springs and coho as well. The spring fishery around the lower mainland tends to be a bit more focussed out off the south end of Bowen at "the hump" or across the Strait around the east side of Gabriola. (Thrasher Rock) In saying that though we were getting springs through May out off the north Arm between the Bell Buoy and the QA marker which is a navigation buoy about 3 nautical miles due west of the Bell Buoy.

Definitely keep up to snuff on the regs as there is a lot to pay attention to on this side.....like NO rockfish or ling cod despite what you may see some boats doing out there. :roll: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/map-carte-eng.asp

One thing to take note of is that even though you will be in cell coverage areas locally here, it is not a bad idea to invest in a handheld marine VHF. It is a very good piece of equipment to have when out on the saltchuck. There are also courses you can take as to the proper use which are I think a couple of days on a weekend but well worthwhile. You can definitely listen to the radio and tell that quite a few don't know how to properly use one! :tongue: "If" you do happen to get one as a quick tip as well; read the manual and find out how to change it to US mode as opposed to Canadian. You will still get the Canadian channels but it will also allow you to get 88A which tends to be the local fishing chatter station. I leave mine in US mode all the time but it is quick and easy to change over whether fishing or just cruising.

Feel free to ask away.....I know Curly and others here have a lot of experience locally as do I and more than happy to help out. :wink:
yes Curly and MB definitely have you covered,
I would start along the west van shore line, you can launch right at ambleside, there used to be a small launch also years ago right under the bridge, not sure if its still useable or even there anymore,
pick your days and get out, the winter fishery can be quite good too with a lot less "congestion" out there and the waters can be quite nice, one of my favorite times actually
best to just get out and Bag1 :-D

jamfarm
09-16-2014, 09:09 PM
I know where you're coming from Sarge, I have a 15' Gregor, not quite big enough to go down and out the Fraser but I did do it once this year. It can get dicey with the ships and barges combined with the wind, tide and river current.

Was wondering though if it is better/safer to go out canoe passage? Anyone?

I was out yesterday at the cap on a buddy's 18 footer and I realize that area is perfect for my boat, the coho's were real active too.

Sarge789
09-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Your right, lots of information! It's a bit daunting when I've never done it before in regards in where to start... Definitely just gotta get out and do it. So Jamfarm you ran right down to the mouth of the fraser? Bit crazy with all the deadheads too... My trailer lights don't work right now so it may be more dangerous going through van then the fraser ;)

How much is it to launch/park at ambleside or vanier? I've never been out that way (not much in Vancouver in general to be honest). I'm just so excited to use the boat. I might also go up to Jones this weekend or another close lake.. Can't drop traps and catch coho there though!

09-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Crabbing can be tough at best right now as the commercials have been out lots most of the summer. West van shore as said by many right now can be terrific fishing. Some big ones too. Look to amble side launch and parking to be closest to there. The ramp near the planetarium might be a good choice but you can get tough water in the harbour depending on wind and tide. Try to travel with a buddy boat if your uncomfortable and know your limit of skill and size. I would have no issue myself taking out a fourteen footer on the right days, other days, it's best to stay home.

Good luck to you if I can dome how help more pm me.

CT

MB_Boy
09-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Vanier is right by my house....will check tomorrow It is only parking and no cost to actually "launch".

Crabbing is mediocre.

Was glass calm at the Cap today and was fortunate to have a 30lb CHROME white spring join us on board!!! :mrgreen: Will load a pic to photobucket tomorrow and post up.

Nice bite an hour or so on either side of the high slack this afternoon but there were fish being caught all afternoon into the evening. Springs right down in the mud and coho all thru the water column.

jamfarm
09-18-2014, 12:20 AM
Your right, lots of information! It's a bit daunting when I've never done it before in regards in where to start... Definitely just gotta get out and do it. So Jamfarm you ran right down to the mouth of the fraser? Bit crazy with all the deadheads too... My trailer lights don't work right now so it may be more dangerous going through van then the fraser ;)

How much is it to launch/park at ambleside or vanier? I've never been out that way (not much in Vancouver in general to be honest). I'm just so excited to use the boat. I might also go up to Jones this weekend or another close lake.. Can't drop traps and catch coho there though!

Sarge, yes I went down the Fraser past Steveston on a low tide, on the low theres a gap in the breakwater on the north side of the river so we went through there. It wasn't too bad going out but the wind kicked up a bit while I was out there so it was pretty choppy coming back in.

Today I was out with a buddy at sand heads and there was a guy out there in a 12 footer but it was dead calm out there.

The launch at Ambleside is free, there are only 5 spots right there to park vehicles and trailers otherwise you'd have to park away from the beach. I think Vanier is around 17-20$ to launch.

MB_Boy
09-18-2014, 09:55 AM
Hey Sarge.....as you can see this water would be just fine in your boat. As mentioned though in my PM....it is somewhat tight quarters during the week; for your first foray out I would stay away from the Cap on a weekend in September. However....there are some nice ones out! This white springer topped 30! :-D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10416613_10152262368911277_505397198980266475_n.jp g?oh=53e08239e1f254fc1f6346b024b67daf&oe=54C47012&__gda__=1422058050_e540a16bb66cb24379b98c481d7cd21 3