PDA

View Full Version : Rampart lake Princeton

BigBlaze
09-15-2014, 09:21 AM
Going up for a friends stag hunting trip next week. Never been hunting in the area. Not looking for secret honey holes or tree stands really. I was told to buy tags for elk mulie and moose. Lol just looking for some seasoned advice on the general area. Will be bring my atv but mostly for getting to know the area before hiking through the bush. We'll be staying around rampart lake for 5 days looking forward to some lunch time fly fishing. What should I expect? Tips? Any info you guys would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated

mikeman20
09-15-2014, 09:28 AM
I haven't hunted near rampart before but in general everywhere around Princeton is going to be busy. I have found getting away from well traveled areas to be the best strategy, there seem to be lots of deer in that area. They just start to get wise from all the pressure

markomoose
09-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Sounds more like a party than hunting?Or is that a hunting party?

blackford
09-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Might not want to get a moose tag... It's closed til Nov 1 me thinks

area gets a lot of pressure. I would still enjoy the hunt but your first goal should be getting in a area where you won't see people. Only issue is if your stags are like mine.... It's tough hiking the next day.... The whiskey and beer makes you lethargic

lovemywinchester
09-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Change your plans of "hiking through the bush" to "driving through moonscape clearcuts". The beetle kill salvage has been heavy through that region. My buddy has a cabin at Missezula so I have covered some miles up there. Road hunting is easier when you're hung over anyway.

BigBlaze
09-23-2014, 07:21 AM
It's not that kind of bachelor party lol. In my social circle we always do two stags. One for getting sloppy and one for relaxing. We did the sloppy one on a houseboat in shuswap a month or two ago. This one is to fill our freezers and relax in the back country. Also a great excuse to ditch our women for a few days. I plan on scouting with my quad the first day and then bushwacking once I find some game trails

Fil
09-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Hi,
I have a cabin at Missezula and hunted Rampart for many years. The area has a lot of open spaces and very little animals compared to years ago. Lots of open cuts so get close to the tree lines early. If there is anything feeding in the open they will make there way back to the trees. We haven't had much success lately because of the clear cuts, but the odd big deer gets pulled out of there. "Rumoured" to have some Elk.
Rampart has a lot of big fish in it but are hard to catch. Trolling a brown wooly bugger seems to work.
Good Luck. I'll be in the area on Thanksgiving weekend