PDA

View Full Version : First hunting trip...

Pangaea
09-14-2014, 01:31 PM
This may not be the most exciting tale, but I wanted to contribute to this site, rather than just lurking. You all have been so helpful and informative to my initial forays into hunting and shooting and I thank you for all your posts!

Just got back last night from my first hunt ever. Taking advantage of the teachers' strike and to keep her out of trouble, brought my 16 year old daughter along too. If success is measured only by deer, then it was unsuccessful, but our trip hit all the right notes but the deer one.

We started out Monday morning to head to the Burrell/Granby area north of GF, stayed at Bluejoint (a shout out to the GFATVC - you've done a great job on the site!) where I had scouted 3 weeks ago and had seen lots of WT spiker/two points. Scouted the first two days, my girl driving as she's just got her 'L'. We drove 220km over Monday and Tuesday; higher alpine over Deadeye, up Burrell and Granby, and some other areas I cant tell... No big animals except a couple of does and a small bear near our camp. Hunted early the first morning from the perfect spot, a stunning dawn, but nothing... No hunters either... Hmmm... Luckily I brought my 20ga along in the AM, so bagged 5 grouse on the walk back to camp. We decided to bail and head to Missezula Lake, where I'd also scouted this summer. Set up camp and made my first ever grouse stew. Mmmmm... Daughter was completely game through all of this - she had never even fired a rifle before, but proves to be a pretty decent shot - and loves it(!!!) Kept asking when she could take her CORE. I'm one lucky and happy dad!

Next morning, we headed out early and immediately found some fresh-ish tracks. Followed them (maybe others) for a couple of km through great deer-y areas, but the day yielded nothing but our limit of grouse and a big hare. The next day was similar; lots of grouse, but few deer and those we saw were all Muley does.

I think one of the greatest things about this new hobby is that my eyes are being reopened to how vast, beautiful and easily accessible this province is. With marriage, kids, and mortgages, I kinda lost connection with the wilder parts of this province - we always went to the Gulf Islands, Okanagan, Hawaii, California, etc. for family trips. What a treat to be able to reconnect - and put some food on the table!

emerson
09-14-2014, 01:37 PM
Sounds great, you are on a great track.

Rusty
09-14-2014, 02:35 PM
good story, thanks