PDA

View Full Version : Firearms on Commercial Airlines

Ronne
03-10-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm planning on buying a new rifle in Alberta and was wondering what the regulations are for bringing it back to BC on the plane. Any information would be appreciated!

GoatGuy
03-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Call the airline. Air Canada was charging $50 to "process" and you must declare. I don't think Westjet was charging - - - -call first and ask all questions about it, then book online and save the $5 :lol:

Gateholio
03-10-2007, 10:07 PM
I just flew up to Prince George on Westjet a coupel of weeks ago wiht a rifle.

It must be unloaded

Locked in a case

Ammo in seperate baggage

Ammo securely contained in FACTORY ammo boxes.

They wll want to inspect the firearm to ensure it is unloaded, and check the ammo. Make sure you ave the key to the lock wiht you.

You must sign a declerationt hat the firearm is unloaded and the ammo packed in factory boxes. Since I made the ammo myself, and packed it in MTM plastic boxes, I decided that *I* was the factory, and signed the declaration, however inthe future I will print stickers for my ammo loading company to avoid any questions.

When you go to claim your baggage, the firearm will be put int he "oversize/special" luggage area. Which basically means that a case that looks alot like a gun case will be abandoned somewhere in the luggage area, without tell ing you about it. This has happened every time I fly wiht a rifle.

So go get your bag and ask somone where the oversize luggage area is...

Gateholio
03-10-2007, 10:15 PM
no fee wiht westjet

Rubicon500
03-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Buy a Big Duffel Bag and Stuff that Rifle Inside it and Hope they dont check!! Whats the worst thing that can happen?LOL

Steeleco
03-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Take if from someone that works for Air Canada (for now!!) or should I call it Air Quebec?? Fly WestJet whenever possible.

Vent off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shop Lord
03-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Make sure its registerd. The police have no clue what they are doing when it comes to firearms. My friend and I were almost arrested for not having a permit to carry when we tried to bring a shotgun on the plane. We were seconds away from missing our flight and the shotgun was siezed for not being registered.

brno375
03-11-2007, 09:43 AM
I do not know if they are still in business, but the small carrier Hawk Air is very firearms friendly and is cheaper than Air Canada. You will be flying in a turbo prop instead of a jet.

Ronne
03-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all the info. I'll definitely be flying with WestJet. I've been screwed around by Air Canada one too many times to ever fly with them again!