PDA

View Full Version : Elk advice???

rafike
09-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Was out hunting this am pulled boat over to some fresh ell sign, and let out a bugle. Befor my bugle was done bull screamed about 80 yrds in thick thick brush. We bulged back and forth approx. 8 times over about 30 min and he just went quiet. I was confused because he just went quiet and it ended. Should l have went at him or did l do something wrong. He had a very deep barrel type bugle does this mean he is big, will he stay in this area or is that the end of it.should l go back and try again or just leave him.any advice is good .

BlacktailStalker
09-12-2014, 11:23 PM
He either winded you or He likely has cows and pushed them away. Not all bulls want to fight.
After you get a reply, you're often better off cow calling and hope he wants to round you up.
Don't be afraid to move closer if he's answering your calls, if the wind is in your favour.
Tip; Elk make noise when they move, don't try to be too quiet. Be patient and let him move around you so you can count tines and close the deal. Circle when he does, elk most always move to get the wind in their favour when approaching any bull or cow. You'll probably blow it ten times before you get it right once but when you do you'll understand how much you've then learned !
Also, switch your calls up when you educate a bull, they never forget, they i.d eachother with vocalizations and he now knows yours with that particular call.

hunter1947
09-13-2014, 04:49 AM
He either winded you or He likely has cows and pushed them away. Not all bulls want to fight.
After you get a reply, you're often better off cow calling and hope he wants to round you up.
Don't be afraid to move closer if he's answering your calls, if the wind is in your favour.
Tip; Elk make noise when they move, don't try to be too quiet. Be patient and let him move around you so you can count tines and close the deal. Circle when he does, elk most always move to get the wind in their favour when approaching any bull or cow. You'll probably blow it ten times before you get it right once but when you do you'll understand how much you've then learned !
Also, switch your calls up when you educate a bull, they never forget, they i.d eachother with vocalizations and he now knows yours with that particular call.

BTS give you good advice and yes this bull will be around the same area next time if you hear him make sure the wind is in your favor and don't bugle only cow call make sure you have a little ground open for a lookl when you do set up ,,good luck..

rafike
09-13-2014, 06:57 AM
Thanks guys, I have been thinking about this bull for the last three nights. I need to get a look at him so l can sleep again. I am officially addicted to elk humting. Can't wait to go back.
pete