PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas...

Chessieguy
09-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Anyone been into the new Cabelas in Naniamo yet? I am planning on heading down on the weekend and see what its like but any heads up would be appreciated?

huntcoop
09-12-2014, 02:11 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?108751-Cabelas-Nanaimo-Grand-Opening-Date-Announced

fowl language
09-13-2014, 03:03 PM
if your going for waterfowl stuff you might as well stay home .one shelf about 20 ft long and a partial rack of calls. either I am to picky or it really sucked.....fowl

john.b
09-13-2014, 04:52 PM
This is true... i am just getting into waterfowl and had been waiting for the opening to buy everything bud i was quite disappointed. I had to order my new jacket and pants from the catalogue and they are back ordered and the rest i will go to WSS for.
if your going for waterfowl stuff you might as well stay home .one shelf about 20 ft long and a partial rack of calls. either I am to picky or it really sucked.....fowl

kyleklassen
09-13-2014, 07:45 PM
you'll be able to grab a dozen eider deeks for the trips back to the homeland

Ranger95
09-13-2014, 08:01 PM

OMG - why does sound oh so familiar? Cabellas Nanaimo seems to suffer the same problems as WSS!

Pioneerman
09-13-2014, 08:27 PM
There is way more stuff at Cabela's than at wss, sadly just not what they wanted, or at least yet.Nice store, and tons of staff, although I found them mostly to be very young, and maybe not haver the unting or outdoor experience I was hoping to find in their staff, but that might come in time. I live right between them and close to Can tire, so lots to choose from. If one doesn't have what I want maybe next one will

huntcoop
09-13-2014, 09:30 PM
OMG - why does sound oh so familiar? Cabellas Nanaimo seems to suffer the same problems as WSS!

You have no idea what you're talking about :roll:

walkerbc
09-13-2014, 09:39 PM
Quite an amazing store. We bought several items (GPS and rain gear) almost 20% less than advertised in US dollars in other stores. Always alot of hoopla for a new opening but still a welcome addition to Island shopping. It will keep everyone price sensitive. Very good for us. !

steveo
09-13-2014, 09:53 PM
Very nice store and way better selection than WWS but I found prices comparative and not really cheaper. Not sure what the duck hunters were missing in the water fowl section but I would like to know since I am not a duck hunter.

.30-06 camsavbc
09-13-2014, 10:03 PM
I was talking to a person in Duncan yesterday and she has heard from someone in the know that WSS is planning on moving to the old Rona building beside Can. Tire in Duncan. I mentioned that I saw a post here that mentioned that as well so we will see what the future holds for those rumors.

Foxton Gundogs
09-13-2014, 10:22 PM

You couldn't be picky, hardly anything there to pick from lol

Very nice store and way better selection than WWS but I found prices comparative and not really cheaper. Not sure what the duck hunters were missing in the water fowl section but I would like to know since I am not a duck hunter.
Seriously, almost everything.

I was talking to a person in Duncan yesterday and she has heard from someone in the know that WSS is planning on moving to the old Rona building beside Can. Tire in Duncan. I mentioned that I saw a post here that mentioned that as well so we will see what the future holds for those rumors.

I wouldn't be holding my breath closing or a move is just rumour according to my management contacts.

The Hermit
09-13-2014, 10:30 PM
I think they should have opened in Victoria.

islander7mm
09-13-2014, 10:47 PM
I went up to Nanaimo to check out Cabella's today. It was alright. It didn't meet my expectations. Having been to Bass Pro in Calgary I guess I was expecting a bit more. Aswell it seemed like they had limited brands and most of their stock was Cabellas brand stuff. Not alot of great deals either. After Cabellas i headed over to WSS to get some other things i needed. All that being said I will go back. The things that stood out were the taxi displays and the fishing derby pond.

Foxton Gundogs
09-14-2014, 11:03 AM
I think they should have opened in Victoria.

Logistics, Victoria is at the far end of the logistic profile where as Nanaimo can draw from 3 directions Nanaimo makes the most sense from a consumer base.

I went up to Nanaimo to check out Cabella's today. It was alright. It didn't meet my expectations. Having been to Bass Pro in Calgary I guess I was expecting a bit more. Aswell it seemed like they had limited brands and most of their stock was Cabellas brand stuff. Not alot of great deals either. After Cabellas i headed over to WSS to get some other things i needed. All that being said I will go back. The things that stood out were the taxi displays and the fishing derby pond.

Yes as I posted in a earlier thread If we use WSS, Cabelas, Gone Fishin' as well as Cambodian Tire and Wally's World we will have a fair variety to choose from still won't equal a good US store but it will fill most of our needs(well except for waterfowlers maybe lol)

Chessieguy
09-15-2014, 03:21 PM
you'll be able to grab a dozen eider deeks for the trips back to the homeland

Its funny even my wife commented on the fact that they had Eider decoys there...

All in all it reminds me much of the other Canadian Cabelas stores, which lack compered to the American versions. I asked the question if one could order from the US catalog and have it sent to the store (as you can in the US stores) but they said that it was not possible due to duties etc. I would gladly pay the duties if they could get it there and avoid the brokerage and shipping costs which seem to always double the price of things.

Competition is always a good thing and in fact I found a few things a WSS that were cheaper than at Cabelas.

Spirit's Master
09-15-2014, 04:01 PM
Went opening day with the Mrs.. Beautiful store. Love the dioramas. Lots of friendly staff. Seemed to be a typical Cabela's, always way more stuff in the catalog than on the floors.

+1 on the appearance.

BIG -1 on the no dog policy. Too much carpet for an outdoor store.

cwf

john.b
09-15-2014, 04:14 PM
One of the girls working at the store did tell me they have had issues getting some stock (mostly waterfowl stuff) for the opening... we will see if that is true or not in the weeks to follow

john.b
09-15-2014, 04:15 PM
Also, i have heard rumor about them recording personal information (pal etc.) when purchasing firearms, if this is true i will stick to WSS for my guns.

Foxton Gundogs
09-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Went opening day with the Mrs.. Beautiful store. Love the dioramas. Lots of friendly staff. Seemed to be a typical Cabela's, always way more stuff in the catalog than on the floors.

+1 on the appearance.

BIG -1 on the no dog policy. Too much carpet for an outdoor store.

cwf

Yah I took my dog in the day after the opening to try on a vest(which I had done at WSS when they used to carry the neoprenes) I couldn't believe it when they stopped me at the door and said no dogs.

f350ps
09-15-2014, 08:48 PM
OMG, you guys sound like a bunch of women for flak $ake$!! The largest outdoor retailer comes to town and yer whining, hahaha.... K

huntcoop
09-15-2014, 10:29 PM
...and about duck crap no less :roll:

f350ps
09-15-2014, 11:05 PM
...and about duck crap no less :roll:
Hahahaha.......actually I get that part I'm sure they'll get their shit together they just need some input! It won't take them long to figure out what moves and what doesn't. Unlike WSS in Langley, they are never gonna get it figured out! K

john.b
09-16-2014, 05:44 AM
Thabk you for contributing to this thread... your insight is invaluable.
OMG, you guys sound like a bunch of women for flak $ake$!! The largest outdoor retailer comes to town and yer whining, hahaha.... K

Viper
09-16-2014, 08:49 AM
I don't know why they have so much bass and walleye jigs, crank baits, soft baits etc.

d6dan
09-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Good bass fishing around Naniamo.

Ranger95
09-16-2014, 10:42 AM
Yah I took my dog in the day after the opening to try on a vest(which I had done at WSS when they used to carry the neoprenes) I couldn't believe it when they stopped me at the door and said no dogs.

Deleted!,,,!

Ranger95
09-16-2014, 10:43 AM

Would never spend a dime in that store - if our springer's and lab's aren't welcome - they can simply shove it!!!

It sounds like cabellas is anti dog?...........!!

fowl language
09-16-2014, 09:23 PM
don,t you find it funny that some one asks for your opinion on a subject .you offer an opinion and for that you become a whining bunch of old women.....fowl

Foxton Gundogs
09-16-2014, 10:53 PM
Funny but not surprising lol

Cdn-Redneck
09-17-2014, 04:10 AM
If there is something that I really want from cabelas I order it online and have it shipped to the store for free then I know it will be there.