PDA

View Full Version : Another incredible noerthern hunt

dakoda62
09-12-2014, 01:04 PM
So once again we found ourselves on the road to Tetsa River. Our expectations were high after our trip the previous year, with Doug and Beth Cobbet of Tetsa River Outfitters. We were not disappointed. We went in with 4 hunters this year, and Doug brought his son Timber and buddy Cody in for additional help. 15 horses this trip. Left the highway at noon on Aug 27th. 3 hr ride to camp, arrived there about 4 in the afternoon, readied our gear and cabin the first day in. Last year with just the 2 of us in camp most of our day trips were done on horse back, this year it was done by boot heels. I can honestly say I have never hunted this hard for so long, however it was the most rewarding trip of my life. Hunting in Eastern Rockies is fantastic, walking the secluded valley's to the tops of mountains is incredible, although tiring. Our first day was spent walking the ridge behind camp, we noticed a cow elk on the opposite ridge, 20 min stalk and a 375 yd shot we had our first animal on the ground, as would have it neither of us brought a camera that day. The picture we got, was back in camp with the meat in bags on game pole. 2nd day arrived with a bang, bull moose in camp just prior to first light, just like last year. Just prior to legal light he wandered away. Easy stalk after light, 200 yds from camp. 80 yd shot bull moose on the ground. 6 pt velvet bull. Dressed out, deboned ended up with 384 lbs of moose. We had moose in camp everyday, sometimes singles most we saw were 3 cows and 1 calf. Season changed to 3 or 10 pts Sept 1st and of course all that we saw after that were smaller bulls for the rest of the trip. Every day as i said we saw moose including deer, el, black bear, and 1 sow grizzly with 3 cubs. The food in camp was absolutely stupendous, no beans or spaghetti in this camp. Doug set up a hot water shower using an old sprayer from the ranch which was nice half thru the trip.
http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/dakoda62/library/Tetsa%20River%202014

chuckerb
09-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Sounds like a great trip and nice lookin moose . good eats mmm. Im leaving the Island on the 24 and heading to 7-26 for a shared draw on moose. Congrates on your hunt..

BigSlapper
09-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Nice! ... good to see you "mature" hunters, with big fat grins on your faces, still out there getting it done !!!!
Bravo ...

hunter1947
09-13-2014, 05:02 AM
Nice story nice pictures congrats to you and your hunting partners on getting this bull moose..

doubled
09-13-2014, 10:13 AM
Congrats guys, nice to see some animals dropping.